Flushing Oils???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up in Germany many companys offered what they called "Flushing Oil" If you had a sludged up engine you added would put flushing oil and a cheap filter on your car and drive it for "X" number of miles. If memory serves me right these were 0W20 and oW30 weight oils with special detergent's and dispersents and proably solvents! They were purposely built to clean your engine and to protect. Her in the U.S. we do not have anything like this. If you want to clean you engine it is kind of like playing the chemical/mechanical lottery. One of the most popular was made by Motul. What exactly was in these and why are they not sold her in the U.S.?? It seems like a well thought out package is safer then just adding chemicals to your own oil in hopes of cleaning it out??

John, we're not hurting for good engine cleaning products. You just can't buy them "off the shelf". I refer specifically to Auto-Rx, BobZoil Neutra, and Lube Control. Still, it would be nice to have another option.

BTW, for more than 30 years I've owned & enjoyed your "bicycle .22 rifle".
grin.gif

unDummy,
Frequent oil drains with good oils will minimize deposits in the engine, there will still be some, although probably not serious.

Neil,
All modern oils have detergents...a few have more. None of these oil will significantly clean a sludged or varnished engine. Use Auto-Rx or Neutra, then use the high detergent oil to keep the engine clean.

Ken

I always woundered why these types of products never made it on this side of the pound! It seems like an intergrated package designed just for the task at hand would offer more repeatable results. The dosage would be fixed the oil carrier could be best matched to do the job so anything that might interfer with the cleaning action of a product like Auto-Rx, LC or Nuetra could be kept out of the product...... I see all kinds of post even from myself asking if a given oil's chemistry is going to interfer with Auto-Rx. I was also guinely wounder what was in these products.

offtopic.gif
Stuart, I am glad to hear you are apreciate America's most prolific and ingenious firearm designer! He was an artist that sculpted steel!

[ May 17, 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

In this country, some are too impatient to drive around for xxx miles with flushing oil. So, the market created 5 minute "cold engine prior to oil/filter change" flush.
There are also some "use at every oil change" oil additives that help prevent or dissolve "whatever is there".
Autorx/Rislone/Marvelmysteryoil are some that can be used as a flush or at every oil change.

I think that everyone would be better off just changing their oil more frequently and using a quality oil/filter. This would prevent most of the sludge problems if they actually exist.

Or, ship the Motul/other brand... from overseas!

-

[ May 17, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Auto-Rx is not a flush it is a metal cleanser that uses oil to carry it to every lubricated rotating part in your engine. Upon contact with third party abrasives it liquefies them and drives them to the filter. Auto-Rx chemistry is not only compatible with seal material it rejuvinates seals while cleansing engine parts.These statements don't apply to products mentioned in your post above also these products don't have a patent.Auto-Rx is not a flushing oil
(no solvents or any hazardous chemistry)and it is formulated to work safely over mileage.

[ May 17, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

I find it is easier to do an Auto-Rx clean on my engines and then use a small maintenance dose at each oil change. This keeps my engine internals clean and the oil analysis have been superb using this method. Also useing a good quality oil. I am using Schaeffer's in both trucks and I have had excellent results with this oil. Auto-Rx will work in any oil, dino, blend or synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back