Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned an 06. Had more problems with that truck than any vehicle I have owned. Off the top of my head..
Before 26,000 miles, new brakes and rotors up front, rotors were completely shot, dealership turned them under warranty, and they were even worse in 5k miles, but i expected that much..Replaced them with after markets and had no further problems.

Struts up front and shocks in rear were all shot before 26,000 miles. High pressure power steering hose popped at about 45k. Rear backup sensors quit working about 60k. Yes, that is all minor [censored] that any vehichle can have go wrong, but it got old after awhile. And the the truck COULD NOT keep axle seals in it, when I traded it in, it was due for its 4th seal replacement. Two on each side, and the front pinion seal was leaking also, and transmission was starting to slip....I traded it in with 89k miles on it. Good riddance.

I bought a 2011 Tacoma to replace it, and I have been very happy with it. 36k miles on it in the last 13 months and it hasnt skipped a beat. The Nissan was in the shop probably 4 times by 36k. I hear a lot of guys have had luck with them, I probably got a Monday or Friday truck, which upset me because I really loved driving the Titan and wanted to keep it for many years.

Their problem is that they have not updated it, for the same money you can get a much better Chevy, Ford, Dodge.

Neighbor has a 2007 Titan and has sunk major $$ into it, he did the diff dance, radiator, and other issues. It is thirsty. It was heavily rebated and that was the reason he bought it.

Isnt Nissan getting out of the full size trucks, has been a failure from a market perspective, they only sold like 20000 total last year, it never lived up to the hype I guess.

Originally Posted By: D189379
Wasn't the Titan one of the worst rated pickups when it came out? Bad mileage, unreliable, etc?

I'm not trolling, it's just what I remember hearing.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Their problem is that they have not updated it, for the same money you can get a much better Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota.

That's it.

They've made some small adjustments and updates but it is essentially the same truck that was competing with the 2004 MY GM Silverado/Sierra twins, Ford F-150, Dodge Ram, and Toyota Tundra.

The competition's trucks have all redesigned since then.

One could pull the excuse that GM used after Dodge and Ford redesigned that, "...they had to redesign because our trucks are that much better" but the guy that said that lost his job and GM followed suit within a couple of model years.

The pushrod engined GM and Rams are much better now than they were, Toyota pushed the envelope on size, and Ford is arguably on a whole different level with it's engines. Nissan is still in 2004.

Similarly, my neighbor has a 2006 Titan. It's a company owned truck so it it serviced at the Nissan dealer. He's never complained of any strut replacement, differential, or radiator downtime but in spite of getting 100% of dealer services on time with manufacturer approved fluids, it still smokes on start-up.
21.gif

I still think it's a good looking, awesome sounding truck. That puff of smoke on start up does conjure up bad memories of early Q45 premature engine failures though. (another great sounding but trouble prone engine)

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Did the guy driving the Camaro doze off at the start?

IKR!? lol

I don't know why everyone keeps saying it has not been updated.
Yes they had more than their share of problems from the start ,but they took action and made SEVERAL updates. Just not cosmetic.

And as far as the engine not being up to date, that is one part of the truck that never had any major flaws ,and is still on par with the latest engines from the other manufactures including the F150.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Yes they had more than their share of problems from the start ,but they took action and made SEVERAL updates. Just not cosmetic.

And as far as the engine not being up to date, that is one part of the truck that never had any major flaws ,and is still on par with the latest engines from the other manufactures including the F150.

Ummm, the Titan has a 5.6L 317HP V8.....

The F-150 has a 302HP V6 as its BASE engine, with the 360HP 5.0L, 365HP Ecoboost and 411HP BOSS engines as optional.

I'm going to say that's not even close to being on par....

I'm sure the 5.6L works well, as it makes 385lb-ft of torque, but even the 5.0L makes 380lb-ft, while making 45HP more and giving up .6L of displacement. Then of course the Ecoboost and BOSS weigh in at over 400lb-ft of torque each (420lb-ft and 434lb-ft respectively).

Again, I'm sure it is a very nice truck, and honestly 317/385 is respectable for sure. But the 360/380, 365/420 and 411/434 offerings from Ford smoke it. We aren't talking about the 5.4L 3V anymore.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Ummm, the Titan has a 5.6L 317HP V8.....

The F-150 has a 302HP V6 as its BASE engine, with the 360HP 5.0L, 365HP Ecoboost and 411HP BOSS engines as optional.

I'm going to say that's not even close to being on par....

I'm sure the 5.6L works well, as it makes 385lb-ft of torque, but even the 5.0L makes 380lb-ft, while making 45HP more and giving up .6L of displacement. Then of course the Ecoboost and BOSS weigh in at over 400lb-ft of torque each (420lb-ft and 434lb-ft respectively).

Again, I'm sure it is a very nice truck, and honestly 317/385 is respectable for sure. But the 360/380, 365/420 and 411/434 offerings from Ford smoke it. We aren't talking about the 5.4L 3V anymore.

The 317 hp version also Makes 291 HP at the rear wheels. That what I was saying earlier with RATED on paper power. They are a little modest with the rating.

Fords 3.7 V6 despite its high HP rating is certainly not in the same performance class especially when loaded. The Ecoboost Def has a edge especially towing at high altitude. The 5.0 is def NOT smoking it although its very comparable.
The 5.0 makes its peak 380ft lbs at 4250rpm.
The 5.6 delivers its peak at 3400rpm.

The 6.2 has a slight edge in acceleration ,and it should but its not a huge diff ,and its only available in very FEW top of the line trucks costing 50k or more.

Ford wants to meet CAFE specs so 6.2s are the minority.

Last edited:
Right, but I wasn't really trying to compare it to the V6 (they obviously aren't comparable!), my point was that the base engine in the F-150 is only a few ponies off from the Titan's V8, and to the average consumer, that doesn't look all that great, particularly when Ford then offers three additional engines, all making more power.

The Ecoboost is an animal, we have both it, and the 5.0L at work. Both haul serious butt, with the Ecoboost being faster and with a stupid amount of low-RPM grunt.

Pickuptrucks lists the 5.0L as making 311HP and 326lb-ft at the rear wheels on their chassis dyno, so even with Nissan being conservative, we've still got a 20HP difference at the tires. And we KNOW Coyote can easily make a LOT more power than that (see: BOSS 302 and 400HP to the tires). And yes, it is to be expected with the higher HP rating, and less displacement, that Coyote is going to make its power higher in the power band than the 5.6L.

But you are right regarding ET's, they both cut bottom 15's, with the 5.0L having a higher MPH (93Mph versus 89Mph) which reflects the 20HP difference between the two engines (using your 291RWHP figure, not Nissan's rated 317HP flywheel figure). It would appear the Titan is better geared for the 1/4 mile going by that.

Anyways, Nissan only offers one engine in this truck, and of the four engine offerings from Ford, three of them make more power than it. I wouldn't call that being on par, I would call it respectable performance
smile.gif

To be honest, If i was in the market for a full size the F150 with the new engines would get the hardest look.

But I do believe the Titan is still a strong competitor with most of whats out there ,and reliability is good on 08 and up trucks.

Prior years def had their issues ,but I continue to stick up for them since there's so much miss information about them out there ,and in this thread.

The newest models have received excellent reliability feedback from consumer reports.

Last edited:

The Toyota 5.7 has 381 hp, The Ram HEMI 390hp, The Silverado/Sierra 5.3 has 315 hp (out of a smaller/more fuel efficient engine) and the Ford Ecoboost has 365 hp (and more importantly 420 lb-ft torque and gets similar mpg as the 5.0 Ford and 5.3 GM)

The Titan's 317hp was great in 2004. But now it's closer to the Ram's Powertech 4.7 (the Titan does have almost 50 more lb-ft torque but then again it is almost a liter greater in displacement)

And that doesn't even mention the improvements in frame strength and design the others have, Six speed transmissions, etc..

My friend needs a tune, I've posted some UOA of his Titan and he's had elevated though not severe numbers compared to Universal Averages.

Needs a tune bad! He has a flex-fuel and uses E-85 for more ignition advance at the drag strip. He has an injen power flow CAI, throttle spacer(he wants to put the larger TB on it that newer Titan models come with apparently?), long-tube headers and true dual exhaust w/ magnaflows(I believe he has a 4 or 4 1/2 inch, forget the tip/piping to the tip variances). I believe that includes cat deletion, don't know for sure. Not sure what else he has on it for bolt on mods.

He almost beat a stock tundra with just a CAI at the drag strip, now without the tune.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

The Toyota 5.7 has 381 hp, The Ram HEMI 390hp, The Silverado/Sierra 5.3 has 315 hp (out of a smaller/more fuel efficient engine) and the Ford Ecoboost has 365 hp (and more importantly 420 lb-ft torque and gets similar mpg as the 5.0 Ford and 5.3 GM)

The Titan's 317hp was great in 2004. But now it's closer to the Ram's Powertech 4.7 (the Titan does have almost 50 more lb-ft torque but then again it is almost a liter greater in displacement)

And that doesn't even mention the improvements in frame strength and design the others have, Six speed transmissions, etc..

Once again you're missing the fact that the Titans HP number is underrated. Do some reading. Look at some test. The Titan has a much healthier torque curve than the 5.3. It's still post similar times in acceleration to the Toyota 5.7 and 390hemi. And it has that stupid WOT restriction til 40mph for 2wd models. The Armada with same engine is faster with more weight.

The 5.3 is outclassed by a long shot in comparison to the 5.6.

Better hope your mighty Nissan doesn't run into my lowly Silverados with the 3.73 gears and a puny 5.3!

gets 17 mpg in city driving AND runs easily with the Titan.

Gee, do you think that monster might be a little dated?

5.3 is a fine motor. Stock for stock the Titan is stronger especially when hooked to a trailer. Now if you want to race a reg cab 5.3 against a crew cab Titan that's diff. But when configured the same a Titan is faster. The Titan is not the be all is all truck. I'm just saying its certainly not the underdog either.

If by configured the same you mean similar gearing then I would agree.

But 3.73 gears in a Silverado that weighs hundreds of pounds less will embarrass many of the modern behemoths from lower speeds. I have more than one of these examples, and my old 05 is quite the squirrel from a standing start with nothing but a CAI on it.

Start at 60 or 80 mph and the result may differ.

I mean crew cab vs crew cab, 4x4 vs 4x4 etc. I really don't think you can get a bad truck from anyone these days. I like them all. But just like the OP said, the new Titan he drove was also very satisfying and capable.

My friend in this Titan video before, claims he beat a Ford Lightning on the street, the more recent supercharged ones. He said he heard the supercharger as the Lightning tried to catch up but he wasn't able to get within a car length. Of course, it wasn't from a dead stop. The Lightning was coming from behind really quick and my friend was at the light and punched it before the Lightning was there. The Ford couldn't catch up.
grin2.gif

...he needs a tune though. Wants UpRev. Making only high 14s so far, while other Titans with less mods have been able to get low 14s at the track.

Part of that may be their models are newer, which have among other things a larger Throttle Body, IIRC?

PS: Of course, changing to different cams is always a possibility.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
My friend in this Titan video before, claims he beat a Ford Lightning on the street, the more recent supercharged ones. He said he heard the supercharger as the Lightning tried to catch up but he wasn't able to get within a car length. Of course, it wasn't from a dead stop. The Lightning was coming from behind really quick and my friend was at the light and punched it before the Lightning was there. The Ford couldn't catch up.
grin2.gif

...he needs a tune though. Wants UpRev. Making only high 14s so far, while other Titans with less mods have been able to get low 14s at the track.

Part of that may be their models are newer, which have among other things a larger Throttle Body, IIRC?

PS: Of course, changing to different cams is always a possibility.
grin2.gif

A Lightning runs 13's stock at 104+MPH. It would have raped him.

If a stock Titan runs 89Mph, a 5.0L F-150 runs 93Mph and these two ET very comparably..... He runs against a truck cutting 104Mph through the traps, he's going to have his arse handed to him, and even moreso from a roll where the Lightning won't have wheelspin issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back