Raybestos brake pads opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the Raybestos Premium Grade (PG) semi-metallic brake pads, i.e. service life, dusting, noise, country manufactured?

They look decent but I've only used Bendix or O.E.M. pads in the past.

I've used the Raybestos PGs a few times and they seem to be pretty unremarkable. By that I mean thay they work just fine in a normal car or light truck without any issues such as excessive noise, excessive rotor wear, excessive dusting, or anything else that would show up as a problem. My only complaint about them is that the clip-on shims seem more prone to dislodging than some other brands. For safety's sake I would recommend taking a look to see if the shims stay in place after a month's use. If any of them move, get a set of replacement shims or just go shimless and live with the noise.

I think they are the equal of any other "premium" aftermarket pad and are usually at least close to OE. I've used them many times and think they are a good choice.

Pretty decent. I have used the older "PG plus" in both semi-metallic and one set of ceramic on a few cars, as well as the almost identical ACDelco Durastop for the rears on my truck.

The one ceramic set did however seem to be a litle lighter on braking power than OEM much like the non-Thermo Quiet Wagner pads also seem to do.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think they are the equal of any other "premium" aftermarket pad and are usually at least close to OE. I've used them many times and think they are a good choice.

Yeah, that word "premium" gets throw around a lot these days. The PG line is actually their mid-grade pad, but it supposedly includes the hardware, so thats a plus.

This is the hierarchy (from cheapest to most expensive):
Service grade
Professional grade
Advanced Technology

Last edited:
I don't remember if I ever had Raybestos pads, but I have Raybestos rotors and they are OK. For pads I prefer Wagner Thermoquiet and Bendix CT-3

Some of the builders/fabricators on the f body road racing site swear by the Raybestos racing pads (even over; Hawk/Ferodo/Pagid/Carbotech/Stoptech/PF/Cobalt, etc.).

Don't know about their street pads, as I've never used them.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
How are the Raybestos Premium Grade (PG) semi-metallic brake pads, i.e. service life, dusting, noise, country manufactured?

They look decent but I've only used Bendix or O.E.M. pads in the past.

I went with the Raybestos AT which I believe are 100% ceramic. I've only had them for about 7k. There isn't any noticeable dust compared to the Toyota OEM. Never heard any noise from either front pads. I didn't even shave the OEM rotors just replaced the pads. I still have the box, the AT are made in good old USA. They had an aggressive bite the first few hundred miles but now they feel like the OEM pads ceramic pads.

Last edited:
100% ceramic sounds all well and good. 100% made of dirt might sound less impressive but would basically mean the same thing. I tend to expect my brake pads have some sort of organic fibrous material for cohesion and cushion and maybe some metal wire or even flakes for heat conductance. In the end though, why worry about if the pad is made of animal, mineral, or vegetable when what's really important is how the end product performs?

I'm not trying to make ceramic pads sound impressive. I didn't imply in anyway ceramic pads are superior. I'm just letting the OP know the Raybestos AT that I have is mostly ceramic and aren't an apples to apples comparison to the Raybestos PG pads which are semi-metallic. Raybestos' quality is comparable to the Toyota OEM pads.

Last edited:
I'm primarily interest in the PG line, there are some good deals on Ebay, just wanted to get some feedback before going ahead.

I've used Ceramic pads in the past, for the price I wasn't impressed. Performance and service life was comparable to semi-metallic and they dusted only slightly less.

surprising that some magazine has not done a test of the lifespan (in a lab machine) of all the different brake pads as far as wear time.
the consumer has not much to go on cept people opinions

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
surprising that some magazine has not done a test of the lifespan (in a lab machine) of all the different brake pads as far as wear time.
the consumer has not much to go on cept people opinions

I am surprised of this too. Actually, I am also interested in things like stopping distance, cold bite, fade resistance, dusting, etc. Most of useful information on brake pads is spread across internet forums, but one needs to spend some time to process that information.. Most of it is just subjective opinions. In fact, I found this web site when I was looking for information on NAPA brake pads.

Last edited:
Raybestos make great brake products. Stay with their PG grade and above lines.

I've used Ceramic pads in the past, for the price I wasn't impressed. Performance and service life was comparable to semi-metallic and they dusted only slightly less.

An excellent point here: the term "ceramic" has become a marketing ploy, and the amount of said "ceramic" material varies wildly from brand to brand.

No pad is 100% ceramic material.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

An excellent point here: the term "ceramic" has become a marketing ploy, and the amount of said "ceramic" material varies wildly from brand to brand.

No pad is 100% ceramic material.

TRUE. It's like semi-synthetic oil. You may have 50% syn oil in the mix or as little as 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back