Transmission hose versus hydraulic fluid hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really any difference between the two, especially considering that ATF is essentially a hydraulic fluid?

I can very easily buy bulk hydraulic hose at Princess Auto (similar to Northern Tools for those of you south of the line) versus finding a tranny shop that isn't too busy to take some time to cut and sell me some of their hose for a few bucks. Of course, we are talking about a hose with a high PSI and temperature rating.

From my experience,low pressure return hydraulic is the near equivalent of return PS hose and return trans hose.They all pass hydraulic fluids,under light pressure and they all get hot.However companies like Gates will list 3 different part numbers and products for the 3 categories.

Hose with a high PSI rating is going to be quite a bit stiffer and will need stronger clamps or crimp ends.
Transmission hoses and PS return line is the same stuff, AZ and NAPA carry it cheap enough.

From what I understand, Hydraulic hose is for very high pressure, and Transmission hose is basically fuel line hose that's a little thicker, more heat resistant (AT fluid is hotter than gasoline), and more oil resistant (gasoline is a little different than ATF). A lot of people (auto shops) use to use fuel line for transmission coolers. It worked OK, but would get soft after a few years (5+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back