1986 Honda shadow 750vt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
I bought one of these and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them. What to watch out for. Known problems. Any tips or tricks.
It has 38000 kms. Starts up right away. It reminds me of a slightly smaller version of my 08 street bob. 3 valve heads. Sohc. The tech in this bike is better than my Harley,and 20 years older. 9000 rpm red-line from a v-twin.
Anyways I was just wondering if anyone can give me any insight on these bikes of this particular version. It's the Canadian one so it's a 750. The American one was a 700. I already had a stock of amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil so that's what it will get for the rest of it's days.
Thanks for any insight,anecdotes etc.

I know some Hondas back then suffered from some soft camshafts. These were mostly in the Magna's but just something to watch out for.

Great bike. I have a 85 1100 with 100,000km. and it runs great. It has a wet clutch on it so you have to be careful that you use a oil that is compatible with the clutch. There is a spec for oil to use with a wet clutch--you can find it on the shadow form. Make sure the Amsoil has it. On the shadow form a lot of guys are using Rotella - either 15W40 conventional or 5W40 T6 synthetic. Both are good. I use 15W40 because I like the feel of the clutch better (engages faster). A wix filter and you are set to go. Good luck. Roger

We have the 500cc version. Change the plugs with NGKs, get the carbs cleaned, run premium fuel, and keep the battery on a trickle charger or battery charge maintainer when it's in the garage.

Thanks for the heads up on the cams. It's great to hear 100000 kms and still going. I still can't get over the tech on this bike. It's head and shoulders above what my Harley is now and it's 20 years older.
As far as oil I have 40-50 quarts of amsoil's 10w-40 motorcycle oil so I think that will last the life of the bike. I used rotella in my v-star. It is great stuff.
As far as the ngk plugs,any idea on the part number. It takes 4 plugs(great tech) and I assume anti-seize on the threads.
What about coolant? My other bikes are air-cooled. And will the carbs require syncing or are they maintenance free.
Thanks for the insight guys. I can't wait to get some miles on this thing.

NGK lists the DPR8EA-9 as the spark plug for the 80's 750 Shadow although you can pull whatever it has in it now and use the cross reference ap on the NGK website to find out what crosses over for sure. I have also had great luck with Denso plugs. Infact my Yamaha Virago gives both NGK and Denso numbers as recommended factory OEM replacements.

If the Amsoil you have is JASO MA or MA2 rated on the back you are good to go with a wet clutch setup. Hope you enjoy it. Harleys are nice but you can get just as nice or nicer metric bike for the same cash. I love my Triumph and Yamahas. Someday I may add a HD to the stable.

Thanks Roger. I registered thee about a month ago but the site is seriously lacking in the tech department. I am going they old threads now,jumping from there,here and my Harley forum.
With the weather here I may insure the bike for a week. Get a feel for it. It's a great bike.

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back