New Boss 302, first oil change before a track day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just picked up my new boss 302. My first track day will be at the end of the month and I need to do my first oil change before the track day.

bossxq.jpg

I am leaning towards redline 5w50 as I used it in my WRX and and ha good luck with it. The factory fill is a Motorcraft 5w50 synthetic which from the GT500 UOAs I have seen shears to a 40 weight in a thousand miles or so. I know that the redline oils are typically a thicker 50 weight and that has me considering the 5w40. I typically do a lot of track days and want something that will hold up to the Texas heat.

Cole

Last edited:
What temperatures does your oil see? How long do you run your car at the edge? Will you be willing to get UOAs done to get an idea of how the oil will cope with the conditions you're putting the motor through?

If the FF is 5w-50, then I'd run that. Tracking it aside, my only concern with redline oil is its lack of API and similar certs for warranty purposes. That may drive you to running the motorcraft. If you can run 5w-40 oils, your options open way up, since you could go rotella syn 5w-40, M1 TDT, Delvac 1 and Pennzoil Euro.

But the key thing is, what does your manual say? It would be interesting if you posted a pic of it too.

Redline will definitely hold up to the Texas heat. Their 5w50 has an HTHS of 5.9, Flash Point of 268C, and NOACK of 6%. The HTHS is probably much more than you need to protect the engine, and probably more than the MC 5w50. Redline's 5w40 and 10w40 have HTHS of 4.6 and 4.7, respectively, and are probably closer to the MC 5w50. RL 5w40 is their low-SAPS diesel oil, and would be more friendly to your cats than the 10w40, but the 10w40 is (slightly) less prone to shear and has more anti-wear protection.

Not to second-guess you, but I don't think the Boss 302's come with 5W-50 - it's just the Shelby's that do.

I thought I'd read FF on those, and spec'd oil, is a 5W-30.

I could be dead wrong, I just thought I read that. If it does only call for 5W-30, you might lose some HP for your track event with a 50-weight...Redline 5W-30 might actually be the oil you want.

I think that the Boss does specify 5w50.
It's the 5-liter that specifies 5w30.
What does it say on the filler cap?

I don't know what oil temps they are running yet. The car is so new that the data is limited. The 5.0 GTs have had some water temperature problems on the track in 80 + weather and a few have reported them on the boss even thought it has an upgraded radiator. The front grill is very restrictive and removing or replacing the grill for track days stops the overheating problem and kept water temps in the 215-230f in 90 degree weather at 5000ft elevation. The company that did the testing was trying out an oil cooler that they built and planned to release until they found that removing the grill on their 3 boss 302s they were testing solved all of the cooling problems. They had an oil temp gauge installed but did not say what temps they were seeing but stated that it was nothing to worry about with the grill removed.

I know people that have new B2's and they use Motorcraft 5W50 syn/filters... Use what is specd by Ford and you will not have warranty problems with them... Motorcraft syn is a very good oil.

I am actually going to buy one but I am waiting for a 2013 model... Can not wait... LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not to second-guess you, but I don't think the Boss 302's come with 5W-50 - it's just the Shelby's that do.

I thought I'd read FF on those, and spec'd oil, is a 5W-30.

I could be dead wrong, I just thought I read that. If it does only call for 5W-30, you might lose some HP for your track event with a 50-weight...Redline 5W-30 might actually be the oil you want.

5w50 is the factory fill and the Spec on this motor. I will post a picture of the manuel for you guys in a few minutes. Is it common for companies to void the warranty for not using a factory fill, and how on earth will they know since I do my own oil changes? I have heard the Motorcraft synthetic is very good, I just suspect that the redline is better and will hold up to the Texas heat better.

since its new and breaking in, will you change the oil after the first track day? if so use something good but economical like the motorcraft.

BoleCailey, first, that is a beautiful machine. i love the colors. Second, Have fun at the track. Third, use a good high quality synthetic oil to minimize problems. Fourth, read the manual and use specified grade for your conditions. And change the oil after finished at the track. Remember that the NASCAR guys change their oil after each run. And you will use that engine far longer that they do their engines. Good looking machine.

I am doing this one with the Lotus Owners of South Texas (LOST) at grand sport in Hitchcock, I may do the BMW M club one there as well in February. I have done the Corpus porsche club a few times back when they allowed them to use the airfield (more than 4 years ago). I come from shifter kart background. If you have any other texas groups that I should look at I would appreciate the recommendations. I would really like to get out to Harris Hill and check that track out as well. I have been out of the track day loop for a while but am looking to get back into it now that I can afford the consumables.

Here is what the Boss 302 supplemental manuel say.
manualn.jpg

oilcap.jpg

bossmotor.jpg

Ford is asking you to use an oil that meets this spec:

WSS-M2C931-B

That means:
-Motorcraft 5w50
-ROUSH Racing 5w50
-Castrol's SM version of their 5w50

You should be able to get the Motorcraft from the dealer. Roush is probably an on-line order type scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back