Valvoline VR1 "Racing" 20w-50, 5800mi, Porsche 911SC 3.0 Air Cooled

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will have a Dyson analysis done shortly but I wanted to see what you guys had to say
smile.gif
Please note I'm not concerned with the consumption of 1 qt per 2500-3000 miles, it's just the way these engines are designed! 260F measured at an engine location with probably 20 degree cooler temps than certain hot spots is a concern, though!

-

Here's some info that I included with the sample:

I would like to get your analysis on an oil sample taken from a 1981 Porsche 911SC. This air (and oil!) cooled engine has 103,500 miles on it. Only about 5800 miles were put on the current Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w-50 oil since last change (approx. 12 qt oil capacity dry sump), but the oil has been in the car for 24 months, though since the engine is designed to use perhaps 1qt/2500 miles depending on use it has around 2.5qts make up oil in the period. In addition, the oil has 6-8 hours of racing (time trial) use on it, with indicated oil temperatures up to 260F and slightly above, of course I would expect higher in localized high temperature areas.

So my goals are: assess overall engine condition, assess additive protection/ pH after 24 months in engine, and assess potential oil breakdown from high temperature, if any.

I should mention that I know just about nothing about UOA so you can't point out something "too obvious" to me
smile.gif
Thanks in advance!

Things look good. Tin seems a bit high..but Terrry will mention that. The flashpoint of 400 means that there is no fuel dilution (which is good) Kind jof boring actually. I sure don't see any hint of problems. You can educate yhourself by looking at other posts and read some of the replies. Concentrate generally of posters that have been here a while-pay no attention to me (in general). Pay particular attention to "TooSlick". There are others but I didn't want to step on anyones toes.

Hi,
the report is generally a very good one

Incidently, these engines have a factory prescribed maximum oil use limit of 1.5ltrs/1000kms (1qt/400miles) - anything up to that is deemed to be "normal"

This particular oil is too viscous for these engines (post 1973) and is NOT recommended nor Approved by Porsche. The Approval and Listing of oils by the factory is important due to the characteristics of these engines. A synthetic 5w-40 oil is the correct general description - the brand is not that important but ensuring that the oil is officially Listed by Porsche is!
The lighter lubricant (than the non Approved one used during this UOA period) will likely result in a reduction in engine/oil operating temperature

A two year OCI in these cars (when using the correct lubricant) is not uncommon - I have never heard of a downside. My 10 UOAs have also indicated that a two year drain period is quite feasible - I drain mine annually or at 20k kms

Best of luck - continue to enjoy your car - one of the best 911s in my opinion
smile.gif

Doug

Thanks guys!

Doug, you are probably right though many people favor this weight for track use in hot weather. I understand that a lighter weight can lower temps.

Others also say that synthetics can make an old 911 engine leak (more); this was replaced with Mobil 1 15w-50 so we shall see if the synthetic leaking bit holds true for me.

I will probably go to a lighter weight the next time I change (which may not be for a while!)

Hi,
Kobalt - M1 15w-50 a great choice. M1 5w-50 is the only Porsche Approved non SAE40 oil

M1 15w-50 has a great reputation in Porsche engines and is the most popular oil in older cars or those that are tracked!

When a 911 leaks there is only one cure - it needs fixed! We both no doubt agree on that point

Your new oil will live in the sump as long as the Valvoline did - and some

There was a recent UOA thread on another 911 (993) - it would be worth a read for you

Again, best of luck - enjoy

Doug
cheers.gif

Doug stated;" oil is officially Listed by Porsche is!"

Vis is only ONE reason this tested lube is not optimum.

Doug rarely do I disagree with you but in this case based on years of data on these engines I must take exception with trusting and complying with "book" factory recommendations/approvals that CANNOT possible account for all the fine well engineered chemistries available for this engine design.

Not to mention when I tune for a racer ( even a part time racer as this unit is) I use the best we can afford and procure based on the operational data we collect that the factory manuals are blind to.

Books and factory specs are a great starting point but few factory engineers ever win a race series rigidly complying with the manual when it comes to lubes to mention one area.

Applies to daily drivers longevity too.

Oil analysis and correlated data is a wonderful tool but you must use it properly.

Respectfully, Terry

Hi,
Terry - yes we have rarely disagreed over the years and I welcome your comments
wink.gif

Porsche ownership is complex - and it has an unusual group of demographics. Many owners do less that 5k per annum, are above 55 years of age and without much mechanical "nouse" - most do not need it! Most Porsche owners are very conservative drivers

As you are probably aware, some Porsche owners use their cars for "Club Days" or track events Most of this is done as an adjunct to day to day commuting and on a VERY limited budget

Serious owners race them seriously, but that is only a very very small portion of owners. Many Porsche race engines are rebuilt after 200hrs or so, but then racing is really a separate issue

And yes, as I indicated too, viscosity is but one part of the Manufacturer's Approval proptocol

I had also said this a little earlier than your extract;
" The Approval and Listing of oils by the factory is important due to the characteristics of these engines"

The Porsche Approval protocols and recommendations are based on serious engine data collected since the early 1970s
This real world experience has confirmed the limited viscosity choice of 0w-40 (below -25C) or 5w-40 all year round, and only one other heavier oil - M1 5w-50 is Listed
It is now so limited that only 0w-40 lubricants are endorsed for the Cayenne V8s - and with very good reasons too!

Porsche thought so much about this issue, considering International Brand loyalty, length of ownership the number of Porsches per family etc that they made their List applicable to all engines built for MY1973

There are about 130 lubricants Listed

As well as ACEA A3/B3, one Porsche specific test protocol for instance is foaming control - foaming was a real issue in some Porsche engines
There are others too including oil durability which includes extended viscosity testing, volatility and etc
Much of this has to do with valve actuation components and engine breathing arrangements
Some Porsche engines have been known to suffer technical "issues" so they are not perfect either - some are far from it too

Many 911 engines are rebuilt under 200k, another Porsche engine family has engine nearing 1m kms without being touched!

An enormous complication is the very complex nature of the technologies and mettalurgy used over the life of the "911" for instance. Air/oil cooling, air/coolant cooling, coolant cooling. Aluminium, Magnesium, Nikasil, roller and flat cams, variable cams with three lobes per valve, wet and dry sumps, with or without oil coolers of various types (trombone, air to oil coolant to oil), turbos (one or two) and etc. And a plethora of options and add-ons to go with it
all

What annoys me most of all for "average non technical" owners is the amount of misinformation that abounds. For instance we have some engines here running 27w-60 oil "because my Porsche mechanic said to.....!"
In America some dealers were changeing M1 0w-40 at 3k "...because it needs it..."!

The Porsche engine lubricant Approval system and the eventual Listing of those oils that are submitted and pass the protocols is the best insurance an average owner can have. Along with his handbook listed OCIs etc of course!

The Porsche component trash can is littered with engines that have failed when using non Approved lubricants with an HTHS vis of around 2.7cSt (min is 3.6cSt) when being tracked. Or engines that have been trashed having used so much oil going down an Autobahn at 200kmh for hours

Every time the oil is non Approved - not viscous enough, too volatile or with unstable viscosity characteristics at high engine load/oil temperature. And there can be serious durability problems when using mineral 20w>-50> oils

The easiest way I have found is to alert Porsche owners that the Listed oils DO work - the Brand is largly irrelevant

Serious racing is another issue and the Shell Ferrari/Mobil Porsche approach seems to work well there too

The GT3 series here has many cars running non Approved FUCHS 0w-20 GT1 lubricants - with no failures to date that I am aware of

As I stated earlier the most popular oil used in older Porsche engines is M1 (5w)15w-50 and from one side of the world to the other. And never more so than in the US - well you can't buy M1 5w-50 there, sorry about that

So no disagreements Terry - but this thread was really about a reasonably good UOA on an oil that I would not use. He has now changed to one I would use if I owned his car, that was a great choice IMHO

I'll stick to Delvac 1 5w-40 in mine - it is NOT on the Approval List but it is the correct viscosity and the nine UOAs to date show it works very well indeed

Respectfully
Doug

I'm surprise blackstone flagged the sodium at only 10ppm. Valvoline uses lots of sodium as an antifoaming agent.
Or... you could have coolant leak.

s

thanks to everyone (including terry, who gave me some great info in my analysis!).

I'll be sure to check out that coolant leak
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back