Protect wheels from weight damage....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you guys protect your wheels from the damaging effects of wheels weights? I know you can have them put on the inside of the wheel...but beside that.

Tape weights on the inside.

You also need someone who knows what they are doing running the machine, and you want them using a Hunter road force machine.

The chain stores fail in this area, best balances I ever got were at the Mercedes dealer, and the kicker was they cost less than what the chain's charged.

Last edited:
Many who have real nice wheels to protect use stick on weights on the inside of the rim.
But I do not like the higher rate of failure.

I've always requested the stick-on weights on the inside of the rim on my nicer wheels. So far, I've had no issue with them coming off. I always spray down the inside of the wheels when I rotate my tires, and I've yet to knock one off. A friend of mine has, though. Even if one should happen to come off, I'd rather deal with it and get it rebalanced than have the finish on the outside of the wheel's lip be destroyed by a weight. My Focus' wheels are like that, as the car came with weights on the outside of the alloys (likely from Ford and from the previous owner getting the tires replaced) and the lip is flaking in the spots where the weights were. Looks awful
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Many who have real nice wheels to protect use stick on weights on the inside of the rim.
But I do not like the higher rate of failure.

First time I saw tape weights was at the Long Beach Grand Prix in 1976 - when it was Formula 1. Speed down the back stretch was 190. Good ole days when you good talk to Nikki Lauda, Mario, etc and get up close to the cars in the garage and see everything.

If they are applied right, they stick and don't come off. I have been using then for at least 20 years and on many wheels that were designed for clamp types. I can't stand seeing nice wheels with those ugly things showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back