mos2 technical reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SlimJim - I meant our 1.5L Civics are like a parallel universe...

I added the stuff to see if it would quiet down a piston slap noise. Seems to be helping, but I need to give it more time to be sure.

Since the crankcase holds 3.5 quarts, adding 4oz puts it at about 3.5% concentration. Their directions said 3-5%.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
but that possibility always exists with mos2 i would never take that chance..countless articles say it falls out and filters out no thanks..

You should stop repeating this unless you have actual proof. I have cut filters open that had no MoS2 in them, and I have mixed MoS2 into oil and left it on a shelf for months with very little separation.

^^ I found the fallout to be very slow, almost non-existant for the normal driver. My mower has the product in it, and I can see it fairly evenly distributed on the dipstick even after two months or more of the mower sitting. If there is any fallout, starting the engine will instantly get the product back into suspension, and it is not going to fall out after a day or so of not driving. I haven't seen it trapped in my filters either. I've only opened a few but there was no MoS2 caught inside the filter. ^^ JMO

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone used Mos2 in their Duratec motors with any noticeable difference? I tried 2 OCIs with Mos2 in my last car, but it was hard to discern any difference, since the motor was very rough and unrefined, and also had some noisy wrist pin slap. I'm not saying it didn't do any good, I just wasn't able to notice any difference.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Kind of off-topic, but has anyone used Mos2 in their Duratec motors with any noticeable difference? I tried 2 OCIs with Mos2 in my last car, but it was hard to discern any difference, since the motor was very rough and unrefined, and also had some noisy wrist pin slap. I'm not saying it didn't do any good, I just wasn't able to notice any difference.

I've been wanting to try it in the Fusion, but haven't yet. I'd like to know too.

I know what you mean about "unrefined". My old Ranger w/ the 2.3 seemed very noisy to me, good motor though.

Mos2 is a great product for a vehicle that gets driven daily BUT I also wonder if it would work well for a collector car that gets stored for months on end....

Seperation is what I am concerned with for stored cars. Does it settle in the pan and sludge up? Do we know for sure that it all gets back into suspension when the engine is started? Or does it take x amount of driving hours to completely get it back into suspension.

Another question is can someone use this product and not be concerned with a higher zinc content? I am thinking of its use after the engine(flat tappet) is already broken in with a high zinc breakin oil...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

I've been wanting to try it in the Fusion, but haven't yet. I'd like to know too.

I know what you mean about "unrefined". My old Ranger w/ the 2.3 seemed very noisy to me, good motor though.

I'm picking up a can today for the Focus. I'll let you know how it goes
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike

I'm picking up a can today for the Focus. I'll let you know how it goes
thumbsup2.gif

Ok cool, looking forward to it.

I'm also wondering what percentage to add. Since the can is not see-through, it's very hard to judge what quantity you've added. Per the Mos2 directions, you should add 3-5% of your sump. For me, 5% would be just over 7 ounces. The can is slightly over 10 ounces (300mL). Dumping the whole can in would yield about 6.5%. Would that be wise? I know many people go ahead and add the whole can anyway.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Mos2 is a great product for a vehicle that gets driven daily BUT I also wonder if it would work well for a collector car that gets stored for months on end....

Seperation is what I am concerned with for stored cars. Does it settle in the pan and sludge up? Do we know for sure that it all gets back into suspension when the engine is started? Or does it take x amount of driving hours to completely get it back into suspension.

Another question is can someone use this product and not be concerned with a higher zinc content? I am thinking of its use after the engine(flat tappet) is already broken in with a high zinc breakin oil...

This is a great question and the best thing to do is likely to run the experiment by taking used oil from an engine run with it, and put it in a tall glass jar to observe over time.

There are standard plots that utilize normalized density, liquid visscosity and particle size to show settling times.

I have firsthand experience that the calculations shown on slide 46-48 of this:

gbxafs.iit.edu/training/XAFS_sample_prep.pdf

Are valid, so you can run the calculations.

I have it in the escape 3.0 v6 duratech, the engine seems quieter and sounds quieter on startup.

After the engine has been run for a length of time, there isn't going to be as much free MoS2 floating around in the oil anyway. It gets pressed into micro cracks on the surface of the metal. After running it in my car I actually saw a visible difference in the appearance of the camshaft lobe that I can see through the fill hole.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

After the engine has been run for a length of time, there isn't going to be as much free MoS2 floating around in the oil anyway. It gets pressed into micro cracks on the surface of the metal. After running it in my car I actually saw a visible difference in the appearance of the camshaft lobe that I can see through the fill hole.

Visible, like smoother? Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm not sure what you meant.

Yes, the "cracked" surface appearance was lessened. It appeared smoother and perhaps darker from the MoS2 being worked into the porous lobe surface.

Yes, the "cracked" surface appearance was lessened. It appeared smoother and perhaps darker from the MoS2 being worked into the porous lobe surface.

Oh ok, interesting observation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well said Chevro, I guess we can call that something like plating?

I added some Mos2 at 5% to my oil sump yesterday in my Focus. Honestly, I cannot tell a difference yet. Although, it has been rainy/humid/damp since I added it, and those conditions aren't the best for smooth engine idling or running in my experiences. I'll report back soon. BTW, I had 2,600 miles on the current fill of oil when I added the Mos2, and I'm going to run this OCI out to at least 8,000 miles. And as to all the talk about the oil filter "trapping" the mos2, that's just not true. I have a Mobil 1 filter on my car; a filter known to be very efficient, and I have 2,600 miles on that filter. Filters, as we all know, get more efficient and trap smaller particles the more they are used. And guess what? My oil still has that grayish look that the Mos2 gives it. All is well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back