Oil to loosen up old grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all -

recently bought a 1994 XT225 dirt bike that wasn't greased very much in the past. Anyway, there are three Zerk fittings on the bottom of the swing-arm. The Zerk fittings themselves are new and pass grease - I took them off and verified. The passageways, however, must be clogged - I can't get any grease in it.

Anyway, I was thinking about taking the fittings off and trying to put something into the passageways to loosen up the grease. Would oil do this? I'm aware of the tool that forces oil through the passageway. Would oil loosen the grease up? What about diesel? Engine degreaser? WD-40? Chuck Norris' tears?

Thanks!

You could try to "inject" some WD40 or liquid wrench into the passageways to free up any hardened grease.

Use the red plastic tube that fits onto the can when you force spray into the passageway. It may have to sit overnight but I bet it will free it up for some grease.

I used this approach before with baked, caked in grease and dirt. It should dissolve the dirt and baked in grease.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Are you using a fully size lever grease gun? It will produce the most pressure. I think you need heat if the grease gun is not the answer.

Not yet - that's on the agenda for this weekend (when I'll have access to a full-size lever grease gun instead of the pistol grip). I was just planning other methods.

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Are you using a fully size lever grease gun? It will produce the most pressure. I think you need heat if the grease gun is not the answer.

Not yet - that's on the agenda for this weekend (when I'll have access to a full-size lever grease gun instead of the pistol grip). I was just planning other methods.

A pneumatic grease gun might have even more pressure, cannot remember.

One grease gun is never enough.

They make one with a piston you hit with a hammer for these situations, but good luck finding one on a shelf.
I would use kerosene or similar (But not with the tool above as it possibly would compress and ignite some vapors.) Oil should work, but slowly.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
They make one with a piston you hit with a hammer for these situations, but good luck finding one on a shelf.
I would use kerosene or similar (But not with the tool above as it possibly would compress and ignite some vapors.) Oil should work, but slowly.

That is for when the ball in the zerk fitting is stuck. He replaced the zerk fittings I believe.

That is for when the ball in the zerk fitting is stuck. He replaced the zerk fittings I believe.

One of those pistons claims it clears passageways as well as Zerk fittings. I just don't know where the grease is expected to go - I can see if just the Zerk is clogged that it'll force the little bit through. But if the entire thing is clogged, I question their claim :)

Originally Posted By: ABerns

One of those pistons claims it clears passageways as well as Zerk fittings. I just don't know where the grease is expected to go - I can see if just the Zerk is clogged that it'll force the little bit through. But if the entire thing is clogged, I question their claim :)

I asked a guy servicing a bulldozer what he does with stuck zerk fittings. Oxy/acetylene torch was hos answer.

I've dealt with lots of fittings with hardened grease. Any solvent you use, either oil or kerosene or anything else, will be hit or miss. Nothing wrong with giving it a try. Pump in oil, work it around (maybe take the shock loose at one end so you can move the parts), then pump lots of grease through. If you get some lumpy old grease out, you know you did some good. The only way to do the job right is to take everything apart, clean and inspect, renew worn parts, and grease regularly after that.

Lever type grease guns are available in either 3000 psi or 10,000 psi models. I've had some hardened, cooked grease where the 10,000 psi gun wouldn't push in solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back