03 Dodge Cummins, 21.900mi, Schaeffer 7000 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 ton pick-up with a fuzz over 271,000 miles on the vehicle, 21,900 on the oil. Probably 60% of the miles on this oil were pulling a trailer, nothing outrageously heavy. The truck has had Schaeffer in it for about 3 years, unsure of the mileage.

Code:

Iron - 26

Chromium - 1

Lead - 25

Copper - 18

Tin - 5

Aluminum - 4

Nickel - 0

Silver - 2

Titanium - 0

Vanadium - 1

Silicon - 5

Boron - 2

Sodium - 65

Potassium - 4

Magnesium - 127

Calcium - 3157

Phosphorus - 1298

Zinc - 1446

Moly - 413

Barium - 1

Visc @100c - 14.95cst

Soot - .276

Water -
Oxidation - 16

Nitration - 9

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that CJ-4 or CI-4plus oil? Looks like they go carried away with the additive package and it's eating away at the bearings a little bit.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

TBN and TAN numbers? Make up oil? Filter changed during run?

No make up oil, and Schaeffers doesn't give TBN or TAN on their analysis. Oh, no filter change either.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Is that CJ-4 or CI-4plus oil? Looks like they go carried away with the additive package and it's eating away at the bearings a little bit.

I can't say for sure, I didn't pay any attention, but just going by how long it had been in there I would say it was CI-4+.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I think it looks good, eating away is a bit strong.

Looks good overall. Wear is very decent on a per-mile basis.

At some point, an OCI will be warranted, but this is another great example that the clock (chronological age) means nothing to oil, after three years in the sump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Looks good overall. Wear is very decent on a per-mile basis.

At some point, an OCI will be warranted, but this is another great example that the clock (chronological age) means nothing to oil, after three years in the sump.

Whoops, sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean 3 years on this particular OCI, just on Schaeffers in general. Probably just over a year on this fluid, but 3 or 4 OCI's on Schaeffers before this batch. And the oil was changed when this sample was taken, again the truck got 7000 15w-40. Although I agree with the premis of what your saying, I have no doubt this oil would be just fine sitting several years with no problems.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Assuming your driving conditions stay the same, I would stretch out the next drain to 25-28k.

I actually see less trailor pulling in it's future, which should put a major slow down on how fast the miles accrue as well. Depending on how business evolves, I see it taking a couple years to get that many miles on this OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back