Excell/Devillbiss VR2500 Washer Replacement Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has had this unit since 2004, and the pump started to leak seriously along the seams of the pressed aluminum hose protrusions after less than 10 or so hours. It was still usable albeit at a much lower pressure until this season; its no longer building any pressure. It's a shame as the 6.5HP Briggs Quantum runs like a champ, starts on 1-2 pulls.

I don't want to replace this garbage pump in-kind and I also don't want to spend almost as much on a pump as I would for a whole new unit. Can anyone help me find a universal, better made pump that might fit this?

Last edited:
In all reality, a new pump will probably cost close to what a new unit runs. Try northerntool.com. Pressure washers are one of the areas they specialize in. Good luck!

I just wanted to convey my findings regarding pressure pump oil.

My pressure washer is a 6.5hp Harbor Freight unit with unknown pump. I noticed that the pump oil turned black after only one hour of use. Changed the oil several times using recommended SAE-30 non detergent oil, and also CAT pump oil with the same results.

I had some Amsoil ISO-100 / SAE-40 compressor oil that I decided to try in the pump. This oil has been used for about 20 hours and has not changed color.

Hope this info is useful for anyone that use a similar pump.

These Excel units are the worst pressure washers I've ever used. My father in law had/has one as well and the pump would continuously stop. It was probably from 03 or 04. Truly the only bad thing was the cheapo pump on it while the engine was a honda engine and the pump mounted horizontal. His pump went and I convinced him to purchase a more professional type pump online instead of replacing the entire PW for another of cheapo quality pump. He picked up something that had around 200-300 psi more (think he went to 2700 psi). The pump was good quality and has lasted since. Simple to install too. Let me know if you want to go in that direction and I can find out if he remembers where online he got it and exactly what brand it is.

Last edited:
Ya, this pump is an absolutely horrendous design. Getting a better quality pump exactly what I want to do. In my case it's a vertical mount with a Briggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back