now I am confused with universal air filters :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been bouncing back and fourth reading different threads regarding Pro Dry, EaAU, Proguard 7, and I can't make any sense of it. I start off reading that the Proguard 7 is the best, and then I read that the Pro Dry is better, and that the Amsoil is no good. What is the real deal? I currently have an EaAU on my CAI, and was thinking about swapping it out with the Proguard 7. What is the real truth???

I dont think you can go wrong with any of em. IMO i like Wix myself..Not just only the price, Ive read alot of pros about em..I was quite impressed by how heavy duty it seems and the filter design..
Detroit ftw by the way. I live 20 miles south of it

Last edited:
I'm referring to the clamp on cone style filters. One that would fit on a cold air intake.

At first I read that the Proguard 7 was the way to go, best flow and filtering ability. Then I read the Drf Flo was all the rage. So what is the deal?

What application? If you already have Amsoil and have no issues, why shop? Keep it. It's a quality filter. I've used Pro Dry S, Airaid, and K&N, and none gave me any problems.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
What application? If you already have Amsoil and have no issues, why shop? Keep it. It's a quality filter. I've used Pro Dry S, Airaid, and K&N, and none gave me any problems.

My silcone levels are a little high, that is why I was looking for something with better filtering ability and capacity.

It is a 2006 Eclipse GT with an Injen cold air intake.

Last edited:
While I havent done a UOA on my jeep, Ive been pleased with my Airaid filter.

Not a cone, just a replacement, but they use cones as well.

Mine has been on the jeep for a long time, oiled and cleaned about 3 times

We run two vehicles with AEM dryflows. Seems excellent and VERY easy to clean, needs no oil.

Picked up a full MPG in my 05 Silverado 5.3

The "real truth" is determined by comparing the construction and fit of the oem AF to the "aftermarket" filter in question. My Honda oem AF appears much better than the AFs at Autozone,so I use the oem.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The "real truth" is determined by comparing the construction and fit of the oem AF to the "aftermarket" filter in question. My Honda oem AF appears much better than the AFs at Autozone,so I use the oem.

Again, I'm looking at a universal clamp on filter, not an OEM replacement.

I'm simply looking for the best filtration ability. The Proguard 7 filter with a 3.5" flange is too long for my application I think. So that leaves me their dry filter, or a Pro 5 r if I end up going AFE route. I wish I could find an actual test of the universal filters. The testing results I was looking at on BOB is with an OEM style diesel filter.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Sorry, forgot to say that they were 16 and 15.

I'm just plain confused. Your Si levels were 16 ppm and 15 ppm in your latest UOA's. After how many miles? With what oil? What engine? How many miles on the engine? Any recent work?

I would not call those levels of Si elevated, in general. Most oils contain 6-8-10-12+ ppm Si native. Then most engines have Si materials. Plus no engine is hermetically sealed. Si can enter from other than the AF.

Is there any other evidence to say the Amsoil AF is not performing for you?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Sorry, forgot to say that they were 16 and 15.

I'm just plain confused. Your Si levels were 16 ppm and 15 ppm in your latest UOA's. After how many miles? With what oil? What engine? How many miles on the engine? Any recent work?

I would not call those levels of Si elevated, in general. Most oils contain 6-8-10-12+ ppm Si native. Then most engines have Si materials. Plus no engine is hermetically sealed. Si can enter from other than the AF.

Is there any other evidence to say the Amsoil AF is not performing for you?

Pablo,

This is a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse 3.8l GT. It has an Injen cold air intake on it and a EaAU filter installed. Oil fill was Amsoil ASO.

Blackstone has the SI noted as something to watch, mentioned check air filter. One UOA was done at about 25k on the engine and 3,750 on the oil. Had SI 15, Insolubles .6. Second was with about 30k on the eninge and 5k on the oil. SI 16,Insolubles 1.1.

I'm not sure if my filter is give me problems or not. Once I started reading a little more on these air filters, the Amsoil filters seem to be sub-par in filtering effeciency and capacity. That is why I was thikning about chaning filters to another option.

I'm with Pablo. Your levels are not particularly high and some, or all, of that could be from sources other than the filter. It could also be something like a loose clamp on the intake plumbing, vacuum hose, etc.

There are very few independent sources of test data for air filters. The closest we have is the tests done by Testand for Arlen Spicer back in 2004 (Google "Spicer Air Filter tests" and it will come up). But that test didn't include a lot of the aftermarket players and being now 7 years old, may be out of date. Was a good snapshot in it's day.

Now that I see your reply, which was being done about the same time as mine, I see those numbers were at a pretty short OCI and the insols were high too. That's more disconcerting. Have you carefully inspected the filter for problems.. perhaps accidental damage incurred during cleaning, and the intake tract in general. I recently found damage to my AEM air filter which came from a caustic chemical contact looks like. Dreading my next UOA.

Last edited:
I did take the cai apart to clean everything and make sure all connections look good. At the same time I installed a new Amsoil filter on it. I only have a couple hundred miles on this oil change and I plan on having another UOA done when I get some miles on it.

Regarding the Amsoil cone filters I never saw any difference Si levels vs. the stock filter or AEM cone filter.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Regarding the Amsoil cone filters I never saw any difference Si levels vs. the stock filter or AEM cone filter.

I was just thinking that since most of these filters seem to flow enough air to provide the engine with what it needs I would look for the best actual filtering ability. From dyno testing I've seen, it seems that most if not all performance gains come from the design of the intake along with the access to cooler air.

Seems that the AEM Dry filter is also high regarded on this site.

Been discussed to death, I think. But you are right; Most engines have more than enough airflow capacity with the stock setups. THe need for air increases as the VE is increased (via programmers, camshafts, etc.), so an increase in airgl=flow capability is usually not relevant. Air filter tract tuning (including CAI) SOMETIMES has an effect, but it's a case by case determination (despite ad hype). The basic rule is that the new setup has to be significantly better than stock to produce measurable results. Stock filtration ability is usually pretty good, so it becomes a circle of diminishing returns on upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back