Fumoto Valve Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Tacoma I installed my fumoto so the lever has to move forward to open. That way if something hits it the lever would be hit in the closed position. Plus there's a skid plate protecting it. 4 years without an issue.

Originally Posted By: GuyWood
Hi guys, new here
grin.gif
. I've never heard of these valves until I saw this thread and saw the video on YouTube. 60 seconds later and I've ordered one already. I change the oil on my 99,000 mile Nissan Micra 160SR every 5,000 miles (using whichever 5w30 fully synth is most available at the time) and this will make it so much less hassle!

glad to hear you made the jump. one convenience factor for me was that i was able to drain my oil directly to a 5 quart oil bottle that i can take directly to autozone.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I too think the Sure Drain was more fool proof, and a better design. It was one of the better Fram products (about the only one I would buy), and of course they discontinued it.

they used to be sold on ebay but it seems as inventory has declined

Yeah , you can replace the Fumoto with a drain plug. But the oil pan itself is also vulnerable to damage. A google search for "oil pan punctured" gave 279,000 hits.

I use the Fumoto because it allows easy sampling, and it prevents a major mess at oil change time.

Quote:
the valve is above the rear edge of the oil pan with the spring like portion facing up; virtually impossible to open except deliberately

That's i did mine also,no problem on any one of the cars even the low GP.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
On my duramax engine, it would shoot out so hard, the whole stream would spash against the drain pan and literally stream back out onto the floor. I thought it was a freak event until the EXACT same thing happened on my next oil change. I had a fumoto ready this time and installed it. I'm due for my first fumoto oil change in the next 3k kms or so. No more floor gushers. If I ever UOA this truck it'll be easy too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LNT...HB8RWDKN7XEQHQG

This pan has a lip on top that prevents oil from coming back out of the pan. I have never had the problem you describe and I change oil on a number of vehicles. I change them with the oil really hot and it does come out with full force when I take the drain plug off.

I am a lock-it-down with a bolt guy and one reason beside safety that I use a plan old bolt is the Fumto valve does not allow all the oil to drain in most engines. A few years back was an article on how to modify and file a notch in the threaded end of the valve to allow the last half pint of oil to drain. That fact, the cost and safety issues kept me with my bolt. If I must modify the valve, buy a safety nipple or wire it for safety, I really don't want it.

Last edited:
We love the Fumoto and had them on everything in the shop. Absolutely NEVER a problem.

Except we also noticed the draining issue. Now they are only on selected pieces of equipment that I feel drain ok with it.

The amount of oil that remains in most engines when using a Fumoto valve for draining is very small. The Fram Sure Drain was a flop because you had to carry the hose around to make it drain; what would you do if you could not find the hose?

That surprises me. I have had one on my Camry well over 15 years, other cars as well and never had one open. In fact drove one over a concrete median and shaved off part of the nipple but valve continues to work well and never leaked.

I would bet kind of a freak event to have that move the spring enough to have it open.

Originally Posted By: BGK
The Fram Sure Drain was a flop because you had to carry the hose around to make it drain; what would you do if you could not find the hose?

The hose is unnecessary. I have three Sure Drains and threw the hoses away. They work fine.

My only problem with my fumoto was the rock hard gasket that came with it. Dang thing cracked about two weeks after installing it and started leaking oil.

Originally Posted By: PRND3L
Originally Posted By: BGK
The Fram Sure Drain was a flop because you had to carry the hose around to make it drain; what would you do if you could not find the hose?

The hose is unnecessary. I have three Sure Drains and threw the hoses away. They work fine.

The hose is not needed, but the thingy that attached to the hose is needed to open the Sure Drain to let the oil drain out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back