Mobil-1 sythetic gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this oil?

I have used it exclusively for years now in my diffs and chain cases on my snowmobiles with no issues ever.

I am currently having a hard time finding it here in Southern Ontario so I am wondering what some other good/great brands are out there that can be easily found here in S.Ontario?

I seen Castrol Syntec, Quaker State and Valvoline the other day, just no Mobil-1?
I usually run the 75-90 but I am curious if the 75/80-140 would aslo be ok to use and I am also curious if mixing them is ok as well?
Thanks........Irv

Originally Posted By: irv

I have used it exclusively for years now in my diffs and chain cases on my snowmobiles with no issues ever.

I am currently having a hard time finding it here in Southern Ontario so I am wondering what some other good/great brands are out there that can be easily found here in S.Ontario?

I seen Castrol Syntec, Quaker State and Valvoline the other day, just no Mobil-1?
I usually run the 75-90 but I am curious if the 75/80-140 would aslo be ok to use and I am also curious if mixing them is ok as well?
Thanks........Irv
If u are matching numbers to numbers stayin with a synthetic mix, u will be ok. Guys in here mix oils all the time for their engines, never read where they blew an engine doing that.

Originally Posted By: irv

Thanks........Irv

I love the Mobil 1 75W90 GL-5 gear oil. Have never used the 75W140.
I use in the the rear diff of my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8 and
in my wifes' Lexus RX-300 T/C and Rear Diff.

Have had no issues.

I sure that other brands are all OK too but, the only other brands of gear oil that I have ever used were all dino, not syn.

I've been using Castrol Syntec 75w90 in my BMW 330ci for ten years with no problems at all. I selected this over everything else because it seemed closest to BMWs SAF-XO lifetime lubricant. It gets changed every 30k miles so short intervals but it always looks good coming out.

My favorite is Amsoil severe duty 75W-90. I have it in all both my cars, including LSD.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amsoil severe gear is my fav.

Agree. I've used Mobil 1 gear oil and was not impressed. Here is a thread on my experiences.

About a year later Mobil stopped recommending it for gear boxes. I KNOW why...
33.gif

Personally get with one of the Amsoil sponsors and they will hook you up with better fluid for your use. I've got well over 100k on my SVG and the transaxle still shifts like new. Mobil 1 was spent within 45k miles.

Take care, bill

PS: IRV what vehicle and use?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Agree. I've used Mobil 1 gear oil and was not impressed. Here is a thread on my experiences.

33.gif

Personally get with one of the Amsoil sponsors and they will hook you up with better fluid for your use. I've got well over 100k on my SVG and the transaxle still shifts like new. Mobil 1 was spent within 45k miles.

Take care, bill

Bill, I plan on changing my diff fluid on my 09 Sierra SLT which has the limited slip differential, plus I also run it in my snowmobile chaincases., one is a 95 Polaris XLT and the other is a 08 Yamaha Vector, both with reverse.

I have used Amsoil Severe gear in my atv's but haven't used it since I sold them.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info
thumbsup2.gif

I see a lot of peeps suggesting the Amsoil Severe Gear, is this based on UOA's or just peeps thinking becuase it says Amsoil it must be great?

In all honesty I am not a Amsoil engine oil fan due to consumption issues on a few different vehicles so in all honesty I am hesitant to use most of their products.

I do use their grease, mainly the water resistant type and have had good luck with it but I am unsure of anything else due to past experiences.

Not trying to start a battle, debate, he said she said etc, just looking for "proof" other than hearsay that their gear oil is the "Cat's A**"

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Irv -
Amsoil is a known commodity. People are not just guessing at a future product.

I understand that(I think?) but your telling me peeps use it based on what you say not what the UOA's say?

I know lots of peeps use it with no issues(eng.oil) but there is also those that do have issues so I was just wondering what all the hype about Severe gear is? Is it based on "word" or actual UOA's?

Irv,

I've been here a long time and I'm not a fan boy or drink anyone's koolaid. Call them as I see it and play no favorites except to my pocket book and whatever keeps the rigs on the road safely.

The Amsoil gear lube is excellent. The difference between it and Mobil 1 (which is the subject) is night and day in the apps that I've used them in. And in trans-axles I would NOT use the Mobil even if it was free. Really..

I've used Amsoil engine oil also and really did not like it for the 10k OCI I ran. I personally think that their XL line is prob the best engine oil they make looking over the years from people posting (not members who its obvious that they are selling something but don't want to disclose that they are a dealer) and UOAs.

Take care, Bill

Irv,

I've been here a long time and I'm not a fan boy or drink anyone's koolaid. Call them as I see it and play no favorites except to my pocket book and whatever keeps the rigs on the road safely.

The Amsoil gear lube is excellent. The difference between it and Mobil 1 (which is the subject) is night and day in the apps that I've used them in. And in trans-axles I would NOT use the Mobil even if it was free. Really..

I've used Amsoil engine oil also and really did not like it for the 10k OCI I ran. I personally think that their XL line is prob the best engine oil they make looking over the years from people posting (not members who its obvious that they are selling something but don't want to disclose that they are a dealer) and UOAs.

Take care, Bill

Bill, thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much!

I just obtained some Mobil-1 LS 75-90, is this a new(er) formula? http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...e_75W-90LS.aspx

I will run it in my sleds gear cases but now you have me thinking about running it in my diff on my new truck?

I know I can purchase the severe gear easily enough but I would still like to see some UOA's or whatever they are called for gear oils, as I would the Mobil-1 as well.

Thanks again (other members experiences/info would be appreciated as well :!)

33.gif

Take care, bill

M1 75-90 is outstanding for differentials, but not for gear boxes requiring GF4.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...Components.aspx

Here is another link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/GL-4_Gear_Lube.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

33.gif

Take care, bill

M1 75-90 is outstanding for differentials, but not for gear boxes requiring GF4.

Guess you did not READ the thread. Let's review.

What my manual states;

gearoilxc0.jpg

What the bottle states;

img1033zt1.jpg

The FACT is that it did not PERFORM well. The longer I ran it the worst it became. I changed it out EARLY (and if you know me I use everything to the max out the value) because of POOR PERFORMANCE.

Now I've got something else in that has worked BETTER for MANY MANY MANY more miles than the Mobil product. And you are telling me that Mobil 1 gear lube can not handle a highway driven (mostly) 2400 lb 130 hp 4 cyl car?

Please put away the cheerleader pom poms and open the mind PLEASE. Just because something is brand x does NOT mean its the best or that you need to come and defend it. Is it possible that something brand x makes is not the best? Or that there is something that works better. (and by the way, I'm FAR from someone to use those words. But when its so night and day I have to call it)

Bill

Originally Posted By: tig1

33.gif

Take care, bill

Guess you did not READ the thread. Let's review.

What my manual states;

gearoilxc0.jpg

What the bottle states;

img1033zt1.jpg

The FACT is that it did not PERFORM well. The longer I ran it the worst it became. I changed it out EARLY (and if you know me I use everything to the max out the value) because of POOR PERFORMANCE.

Now I've got something else in that has worked BETTER for MANY MANY MANY more miles than the Mobil product. And you are telling me that Mobil 1 gear lube can not handle a highway driven (mostly) 2400 lb 130 hp 4 cyl car?

Please put away the cheerleader pom poms and open the mind PLEASE. Just because something is brand x does NOT mean its the best or that you need to come and defend it. Is it possible that something brand x makes is not the best? Or that there is something that works better. (and by the way, I'm FAR from someone to use those words. But when its so night and day I have to call it)

Bill

Bill has misunderstood my meaning again. I want to include all the Q&A from Mobil tech to show why I would not reccomend using M1 gear oil in manuel trannys. I would also use a differant companies oil if I had a stick shift tranny. Now for differentials I have had very good results with M1 gear oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Gear_Oils_Collection.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back