Hard, red fiber washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of what material are those washers made? They are usually found in old machinery. They seem to be solvent resistant. I need one with a 1/4 inch hole. Thickness is not critical. Around 1/32 or a bit thicker is fine.

Were sump plug washers at some stage too.

Our local auto parts place has them IIRC, might drop in tomorrow (if I'm off work when anything is open).

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure I can find that type washer here. I'm just wondering out of what material such a fiber washer is made. A search has shown that some are made with vulcanized rubber, but I'm pretty sure the ones I'm talking about aren't, and the fibers are never explained.

Eww, so the red stuff may be any kind of fiber drenched with phenol formaldehyde resin? What's the advantage of that material?

Dunno, but good reminder...

If I find a red spiral wound (think metal/fibre snailshell) gasket at work, it gets doused in penetrene/kroil/WD-40, and goes into 2 plastic bags, and given to an authorised person for disposal.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Eww, so the red stuff may be any kind of fiber drenched with phenol formaldehyde resin? What's the advantage of that material?

In aviation, it is used in various application were chaffing occurs like flight control cables runs, Pulleys and electrical insulator. Would not be my first choice for a drain plug washer.

FYI, the dust from grinding on it is considered a carcinogen. It is also not recyclable and is considered hazardous waste when no longer good for its intended use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back