Throttle body temperature sensor grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago I was chasing down what ultimately was a failing ECM, and I removed the Air Charge temperature sensor on my throttle body injected LA 318 to test the Ohm readings at different temperatures.

I wound up removing the grease on the probe part, and later learned it was to help transfer heat.

Anyway, I'm getting a flat spot in the throttle only at a certain temperature while it is warming up and I think this lack of grease might be a possibility.

Anybody know what grease I should use to replace what I removed, and where I can get it?

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
I wound up removing the grease on the probe part, and later learned it was to help transfer heat.

I'd guess you need thermal transfer grease / compound. Check your local computer store - a real one, not Worst Buy or its ilk.

RadioShack use to sell it, some electronic parts stores stock it, any good electronic person who works with the hardware of electronics would probably have it in stock.

It is white, and silicon based. Try not to get it on your hands, and if you do whipe it off. Silicon is inert, but also your body has no way go get rid of it. Best to use gloves.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

I'd guess you need thermal transfer grease / compound. Check your local computer store - a real one, not Worst Buy or its ilk.

If you mean thermal interface material such as common thermal grease used between the processor and its heatsink, you can obtain a tube of rebranded Arctic Silver 5 at your local Radio Shack for around $8 I believe.

Okay, thanks for the info. I'm wondering if a new sensor would come with some grease, as the sensor does not cost much more than a tube of the grease, and it is the only use I would likely ever have for it.

I'm not really sure the flat spot in the throttle while warming up is related, and money is too tight these days for me.

If you still need it, PM me your address and I'll mail you some extra Radio Shack thermal grease I have. The thermal grease is important to keeping the sensor's readings accurate and/or from overheating a burning out.

Nitrox, thanks for the kind offer.

I've been meaning to ohm the sensor and see if it is still in spec after half a decade without the thermal grease on it.

But Life has got in the way.

Thanks for the newegg link too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back