Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0W20 and 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Majarvis
Ahhh okay, thanks! So Group III is what you want to look for in terms of a base oil, for a true sign of being synthetic.

Do some searching, there is a lot of info on this here. Try this thread - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1104963

Group III is made from crude oil and many do not consider it a "true" synthetic, in fact outside North America I don't think it can be marketed as synthetic, only Gr IV or V. Many will also argue that you don't NEED synthetic unless your car specs it, which for the most part is probably right on. There also seems to be a lot of talk lately about the newest SN/GF-5 oils having at least some Gr III in them to meet the specs.

At least that is my understanding of it....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Ahhh okay, thanks! So Group III is what you want to look for in terms of a base oil, for a true sign of being synthetic.

Do some searching, there is a lot of info on this here. Try this thread - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1104963

Group III is made from crude oil and many do not consider it a "true" synthetic, in fact outside North America I don't think it can be marketed as synthetic, only Gr IV or V. Many will also argue that you don't NEED synthetic unless your car specs it, which for the most part is probably right on. There also seems to be a lot of talk lately about the newest SN/GF-5 oils having at least some Gr III in them to meet the specs.

At least that is my understanding of it....
21.gif

Ah, gotcha, thanks. So GP III is still fine, it just isn't the absolute best base oil in terms of synthetics.

Check Honda too, as I said my buddy was quoted a good price, especially compared to almost $10/L for PP 0w20. Have you looked up a Petro-Canada dealer?

Still waiting to hear back from Honda and Petro for price.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. So GP III is still fine, it just isn't the absolute best base oil in terms of synthetics.

If only it was that simple! Very much debate on that here. Best advise I can give is to keep reading, find some posters that you feel are knowledgeable, read what they have to say and make your decisions based on that.

I can easily obtain PC SS 5W-30 from any petro-canada station, PC SS 0W-30 I have to order it from a distributor. Is it worth the hassle to go for 0W-30?

I sound like such a noob...

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
I can easily obtain PC SS 5W-30 from any petro-canada station, PC SS 0W-30 I have to order it from a distributor. Is it worth the hassle to go for 0W-30?

21.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
cp3, in our climate there likely is little difference in the cold start performance between PC 0W-30 and PP 5W-30; they are both GP III based oils after all.

Looking at the PDS, I'm thinking that even the 5w30 has a bit better cold numbers than PP so I would think the above applies too. Don't really think either is a bad choice. Is it much colder up there than here?

It should be cheaper at the distributor for 5w30 or 0w30 at the distributor. I have thought about asking the owner at the PC station that I use if he would sell case quantities at a price competitive to the distributor. Don't know where that will go but I think I'm going to have to try PC.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury

21.gif

Well...If I can get my hands on PC SS 0W-30 is it worth it over PC SS 5W-30? Or would 5W-30 do the job just fine?

Come on Caterham, help us out here....lol, I'm wondering the same thing!!

I'm obviously no pro but I believe that neither of us NEED the 0w30, the 5w30 will be more than adequate. I mean, my last oil changes are my first ever with synthetic and my cars don't seem to have been harmed using the conventional up to now. If I'm going to the distributor and it's the same price, I'll at least try the 0w30 and go from there.

The average temp here last winter was -15, at that point I don't think the 0w30 is a huge benefit compared to the 5w30, it's at lower temps than that that it really shines. So for me, same hassle for 5w or 0w, for you if it's easier to go 5w, you're probably good.

Come on Caterham, help us out here....lol, I'm wondering the same thing!!

I'm obviously no pro but I believe that neither of us NEED the 0w30, the 5w30 will be more than adequate. I mean, my last oil changes are my first ever with synthetic and my cars don't seem to have been harmed using the conventional up to now. If I'm going to the distributor and it's the same price, I'll at least try the 0w30 and go from there.

The average temp here last winter was -15, at that point I don't think the 0w30 is a huge benefit compared to the 5w30, it's at lower temps than that that it really shines. So for me, same hassle for 5w or 0w, for you if it's easier to go 5w, you're probably good.

I can easily get SS 5W-30 at any PC gas station and buy just the amount I need. Going with a distributor though I have to buy a minimum of 12x1L and my distributor doesn't stock 0W-30, they have to order it. I'm kinda leaning towards 5W-30 since I don't really have a use for 12 liters of 0W-30.

I think it's a good choice. Here the distributor pricing is about $3/L cheaper so I'll be going there regardless. The 12L isn't too bad for me as I'll use it in both cars.

PC's 0W-30 and 5W-30 stat's are virtually identical.
Upon further review of the PDS I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed the same oil but are labeled differently for marketing purposes.
The reason I say that is the MRV @-35C for the 5W-30 (9,649 cP) is the lowest I can recall seeing for a 5W-30 grade. By comparison, PP and PU are 13,000 cP and M1 5W-30 is 12,700 cP.
The MRV vis @-40 for PC's 0W-30 is 14,204 cP. How much lighter will it be at -35C? I doubt it's any lighter than the 9649 cP of the 5W-30.

This is all academic in our climate (maybe not Ottawa) which doesn't get anywhere near that cold. Bottom line, I would use PC's 0W-30 or 5W-30 interchangeably, which ever is cheapest and/or readily available.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
PC's 0W-30 and 5W-30 stat's are virtually identical.
Upon further review of the PDS I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed the same oil but are labeled differently for marketing purposes.
The reason I say that is the MRV @-35C for the 5W-30 (9,649 cP) is the lowest I can recall seeing for a 5W-30 grade. By comparison, PP and PU are 13,000 cP and M1 5W-30 is 12,700 cP.
The MRV vis @-40 for PC's 0W-30 is 14,204 cP. How much lighter will it be at -35C? I doubt it's any lighter than the 9649 cP of the 5W-30.

This is all academic in our climate (maybe not Ottawa) which doesn't get anywhere near that cold. Bottom line, I would use PC's 0W-30 or 5W-30 interchangeably, which ever is cheapest and/or readily available.

For my region (Nova Scotia), I'll still be fine with Honda's 0W20, yes? So far it's the most economical, but I haven't heard back from the PC distributor in my area on price for PC 0W20.

Majarvis, a Honda spec' oil for a Honda, what could be better than that?

Petro-Canada actually makes many of the oils for Honda Canada such as their 5W-20 but PC's 0W-20 didn't get the contract to make Honda's 0W-20 primarily because it's not thin enough at cold temp's and above. When I say cold I don't mean extreme cold
like -40, but at say -15C and above.
PC's 0W-20 is likely lighter at extreme cold temps's than the Idemitsu made Honda 0W-20 but the Honda oil is designed to be "Ultra light" at more typical start-up temp's.
It is one of the hand full of oils that fall into the "ultra low viscosity - high viscosity index" 0W-20 camp. The other oils in this group are ENEOS 0W-20, Toyota 0W-20, Castrol Edge 0W-20 and CAM II 0W-20.
To qualify for this group you must have a 40C viscosity spec' under 40 cSt. PC's KV40 spec' is 46.6 cSt while Honda's is 39.9 cSt. PC's VI is 169 vs 200 for Honda.

Well received a call from my local PC distributor and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. 5.83$/L for Supreme Synthetic 0W-30.

So I went for it!
shocked.gif

dsc01975nq.jpg

dsc01989b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back