What size glasspacks should i run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a lot of trouble deciding on what size glasspacks to run on my 1989 Chevy 1500 with a 350 in it. I am planning on putting headers in and running true duel exhaust but have no idea what size glasspacks to get. Thank you

My experience is that the longer the glasspack, the deeper the tone is. The short it is the more raspy it sounds. I think i have the 18 inch on my olds ciera, gm v-6s sound great with glasspacks.

Last edited:
They sound like absolute poo. They make the Chevy blatt... even blattier.

Get a pair of Magnaflows, flowmasters or SOMETHING other than glass packs. Use an H or X pipe and it will sound even better.

I don't really have the money for flowmaster ect... but i am curious about this H and X pipe cause i was thinking of running my pipes straight back.

buy a thrush welded. they are a 2-chamber muffler just like a flow master for around $25 each. Screw glass packs.

Glass packs start out too loud and only do one thing quickly....

Make more noise.... They really don't last that long. Get something other than glasspacks.

Bill

Unless you get a time machine to go back to the 80's, you shouldn't run them at all. :p

I keed.
laugh.gif

The longer the better. But get some Flowmaster's on there when you run into some cash. Nothing like a V8 with headers and 3.5" tuned exhaust with flowmaster's. Pure sex.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My experience is that the longer the glasspack, the deeper the tone is. The short it is the more raspy it sounds. I think i have the 18 inch on my olds ciera, gm v-6s sound great with glasspacks.

I did the same on my 91 Ciera!

As for the O.P. if you want loud and crackly then glasspacks. Glasspacks used to be my favorite sound but now I like Dynomax Ultraflo (or clones of).

They are essentially a glasspack but with a muffler size. So they give you the same straight through performance but quieter and cleaner sounding.

I prefer glass-packs over flow master (chamber) types, but not old school cherry bomb glasspacks.

I like Borla, magnaflow, etc. Mellow, but deep. I think some of them use steel wool instead of fiberglass.

H or X pipe will help sound, power, economy. Definitely worth while.

I have a Ram truck with the 5.2 and a real dual exhaust with glass packs and dual cats,no X,H or any other pipes.If you stand at the front of the truck,it is very quiet and still pretty quiet when you rev the motor.

It sounds really good.

Get them as long and as big as will fit.
They will sound better and perform best, no doubt.
Avoid cheap glass packs with rough sawn interiors. They are horrible restrictions in the exhaust. Smooth internal louvers like on a Magnaflow are best, as is stainless steel.

Retain your cats. They are good mufflers and don't hurt much for power, unless you are heavily modified. Resonators are an option to consider, then your mufflers or glasspacks. A crossover tube is another [between the two pipes].

Believe me, a loud exhaust is great for a week or so. But droning and excess noise will make you regret it later.
And I LIKE the sound of a good exhaust. But you can't be in a hurry or get cheap - you will regret it.

Originally Posted By: jsecrest
I don't really have the money for flowmaster ect... but i am curious about this H and X pipe cause i was thinking of running my pipes straight back.

The H or X pipes connect the two sides of the exhaust, usually somewhere near the front of the driveshaft. H pipes are also called balance tubes, I think. Both will mellow the sound and are supposed to have some power benefits. Summit Racing sells kits, but an exhaust shop should be able to fabricate one or the other.

If you are limited to glasspacks because of cost, go with the longest available and definitely put in at least an H pipe. I had duals with long glasspacks put on a 1970 Grand Prix, and my ears were ringing after an hour on the highway. They put an H pipe in the next day, and the tone mellowed right out. I installed headers later. It was definitely loud, but still mellow, with no rasp or crackle.

I dont know about others but I do have glass packs and I dont have H or X pipes and I dont have ringing ears.It has a very good sound and it isnt too loud or raspy.I have heard duals that were too loud.I dont like duals that are so loud that you cant hear anything.In fact,if you are in the cab of the truck at idle,you can hardly hear it running and I have even thought that it had quit before it was that quiet.

If you are at the back of the truck,you will hear a rumble but not an overly loud or harsh sound but a nice deep dual exhaust.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Just run straight pipes instead.

Be the man!

My dad had dual straight pipes on his 350 Chevy. No mufflers. Just the right amount of sound, a good sound too. A likeable warble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back