tune up for Dodge Hemi 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a Silverado always have. My neighbor has a dodge 1500 with a Hemi. He asked my wife if I would be interested in doing a tune up on it. I would like too just wandering if a dodge is harder to work on then the Chevrolet???

Can't imagine why it would be any different- other than twice as many spark plugs. But at least they're easy to get to (top of the valve cover). That, plus air filter, is about the only thing that amounts to a "tune up" these days. With coil-on-plug ignition, you don't even have plug wires to worry about. Depending on how many miles/years he has on it, it would probably be a good idea to look at belts and hoses too- but again, no different than a Chevy. A serpentine belt is a serpentine belt for the most part.

Last edited:
Make sure and clean the throttle body.

The 5.7 has EGR which can really gunk it up. Just spray and...presto!

440 is right, there really isn't anything to "tune". And it's about as easy as the Silverado to work on.

Check or change:
Spark plugs [use exact factory types], clean the TB, fuel filter, PCV system, all vacuum lines, and of course the air filter.
Possible oil and filter.
Check all fluids, and any leaking.
Check for hidden codes.

And put a bottle of fuel system/injector/valve cleaner in the tank.
[Gumout Regane, Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1.]

Mech tech quick question does the hemi have a pcv valve? The guy I am helping is in his late 60's he lost his house in Georgia he moved in with his daughter. I talk to him all the time so I am just helping him out he has no money. I am planning on doing plugs, air filter, anti reeze, I guess there is a fuel filter. The belt and hoses look good. I might do the rear differential if he wants. Does the hemi use Dexcool like my Silverado it looked orange when I gave it a quick look.

Never owned a dodge but read somewhere that the throttle body has a unique coating on it and not to spray cleaners onto it. Im sure if you search you can find more info. Good luck.

I don't know the specifics of that engine's PCV system.
Most use a PVC valve, of course, but some are 'always on', and orifice regulated.

Many throttle bodys have this 'special' coating on it. If it was so great, why does the TB have to be cleaned? I clean them and make the car run right.
I don't care what value the coating has in theory and on paper.

5.7 has a PCV valve, this combined with EGR can sometimes cause a bit of build up on the backside of the throttle plate.

If you keep it very clean the engine may idle a bit better. Regular throttle body spray is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back