Mixing with Mazda M-V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm looking for an opinion or experiences...
I'm planning on doing a drain and fill (15,000 miles) on a 2010 Mazda 3 with a 5 speed auto. I'm trying to decide between Mobil 1 ATF and Castrol Import Multi Vehicle.

Both state they are recommended for use in place of M-V, but I want to make sure there won't be any problems with mixing the fluids. Mobil 1's site says it is compatible with other ATFs, while Castrol has stated they do not recommend mixing fluids (I think this is a CYA statement, but not sure).

Any thoughts, opinions, or experience mixing M-V with Castrol or Mobil 1?

I'd say CYA and stick with 1 or the other during your warranty period. Meaning also don't flush until the manual says: at 30K.

Since you asked, I'd use the factory-recommended fluid during the warranty period. I've heard that Mazda M-V does NOT play well with other fluids, especially not with Mercon V. I do however think a drain & fill at 15,000 is not a bad idea. Many of the so-called "lifetime" fluids are no such thing. My niece's '06 Fusion says the transaxle fluid (Toyota T-IV) doesn't need changing until 150,000 miles. When I did a drain and fill at 30,000 it was already turning dark.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've heard that Mazda M-V does NOT play well with other fluids, especially not with Mercon V.

I guess you heard wrong, at least in the Mazda 3. I have a 2004 and have used Mercon V with great success, as have countless others over at Mazda3forums.com

I personally have used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and Redline D4 and both work with outstanding results. My factory ATF fluid was burned at 20k, as my generation Mazda 3 generate a great amount of heat. I'd suggest the opposite in your case, ditch the OEM fluid for either Mobil 1 or Redline.

I am using M1 ATF in my Fusion, which I believe is the same tranny you have. Upshifting and downshifting is very smooth.

So much misinformation. This has been covered a zillion times in this forum.

Read this TSB:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/tribute/05-005-08-1928.pdf

Read this post:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1648543#Post1648543

The bottom line is. Mercon V is NOT the same as Mazda ATF-MV. Different viscosity and different anit-judder specification. The difference may or may not make a noticeable difference in your particular car.

I have used Mobil 1 before finding out after some rough shifting incidences with the latest formula, and have since switched back to ATF-MV.

Know the facts and make your own judgment for your own car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
So much misinformation. This has been covered a zillion times in this forum.

Read this TSB:
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/tribute/05-005-08-1928.pdf

Read this post:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1648543#Post1648543

The bottom line is. Mercon V is NOT the same as Mazda ATF-MV. Different viscosity and different anit-judder specification. The difference may or may not make a noticeable difference in your particular car.

I have used Mobil 1 before finding out after some rough shifting incidences with the latest formula, and have since switched back to ATF-MV.

Know the facts and make your own judgment for your own car.

If your shifting problems was with M1 ATF mercon V, then that was the wrong fluid for the Mazda M-V. The Mercon V was the old fluid. The new M1 ATF is Mazda V compatiable and works great in that tranny. My Fusion has the same tranny as the Mazda and of course requires the same fluid, and shifts great. Very smooth.

Originally Posted By: tig1

If your shifting problems was with M1 ATF mercon V, then that was the wrong fluid for the Mazda M-V. The Mercon V was the old fluid. The new M1 ATF is Mazda V compatiable and works great in that tranny. My Fusion has the same tranny as the Mazda and of course requires the same fluid, and shifts great. Very smooth.

Shifting problem started with the new M1 ATF which is "recommended for" ATF-MV. No problem with the previous version of M1 ATF.

Mercon V and ATF-M5 have different viscosity requirements, and there is no way for M1 ATF to meet both, and thus the "recommended for" language on the bottle.

However, good for you since it works for you. The 2 specifications are different. The current M1 ATF did not work for me and I am now back on ATF-MV happily.

I used Mercon V for a long time with no problems. I have recently switched to M1 ATF since it covers the Mazda spec. and this fluid seems to work great also.

In fact I can't recall ever noticing a bad shift or anything out of the ordinary the entire 83,000 miles I've had this car.

I have used the original M1 ATF with Mercon V for 100k miles before having problem with the new formulation. I am now at 120k miles after 2 changes with Mazda ATF-M5 and no problem.

Take it for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back