Transmax, Transynd, Autran, all the same product?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this document today from ZF about ATF's for buses: http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_InteroeleV2_manager/Work/2010-01-01/TE-ML 14_es0701.pdf

In it, they divide the ATF's in four quality levels (page 2): 14A for 30.000 Km /1 year oil change interval, 14B for 60.000 km / 2 years OCI, 14C for 120.000 Km / 2 years OCI, and 14D for 150.000 Km / 3 years OCI.

It kept my attention the fact that all the oils of group 14C (except KOMPRESSOL, I think) were from the BP group (Castrol, BP...) (pag. 8).

I compared the technical characteristics of some of them and this is what I found:

Note that the european Castrol Transmax Z and the BP Autran LTF are almost identical except for a slightly variation in the 15ºC density. The rest are very similar.

It surprised me the differences between the australian and european Transmax Z and specially between the UK and Brazil Castrol Transynd, also between Allison and Castrol Transynd (I think it's the same product). Also, the Brazil and Allison transynd are Dexron III certified, but UK on is not.

In fact, they are all Dexron III certified except european Transmax Z, BP Autran LTF and UK transynd. They share most of the rest of the certification from MB, ZF, Voith...

What do you think? It seems like they are all the same product with slightly variations due to measurements conditions, isn't it?

Would you use one of those three that are not Dexron III certified in a transmission requiring Dexron III?.

Last edited:
The Castrol Transmax Z issue is kind of a Joke.

I checked in Castrol New Zealand and it has different values from the Australian and european Transmax Z. Even in the australian site, if you compare the values between the Technical Data sheet and the Security Data sheet, they are different!, and also different from the Europan and New Zealand ones. (Slightly different again).

To make things worse, In the spanish and new zealand sites, the viscosity is rated 70W-80, while in the australian one is rated 0W-20!. Not slighlty different now!

They have all one thing in common though: they are all green. I wasn't sure about the spanish one, but I checked in a dealer and it's also green.

I had never heard of green ATF.

Maybe the ones that do not show Dexron III certified do it for a reason, there is no longer any Dexron III certification by GM and Dexron III licenses are not being issued. The only certification GM is issuing is Dexron VI.

Castrol is one of BP's brand names, and Transynd is a registered trademark of BP.. The products are likely identical if the data is identical.

Don't confuse gear oil viscosity grades with engine oil viscosity grades. For example, 90wt gear oil and 40 wt engine oil are very similar in viscosity, and very different in other factors.

Dexron-III is still licensed under GM's Allison TES-389 name.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maybe the ones that do not show Dexron III certified do it for a reason, there is no longer any Dexron III certification by GM and Dexron III licenses are not being issued. The only certification GM is issuing is Dexron VI.

Maybe that's the reason, as it's been for long used in Australia, and they may introduce it in Europe after Dexron VI was released, but who can tell?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Castrol is one of BP's brand names, and Transynd is a registered trademark of BP.. The products are likely identical if the data is identical.

Don't confuse gear oil viscosity grades with engine oil viscosity grades. For example, 90wt gear oil and 40 wt engine oil are very similar in viscosity, and very different in other factors.

Dexron-III is still licensed under GM's Allison TES-389 name.

Well, the data is ALMOST identical. In fact, the Kinematic viscosities at +40 º C and at + 100 º C in the european TDS and australian SDS are exactly the same, but not the case of the australian TDS.

About viscosities, I was just comparing between ATF viscosities.

Same, probably not. Similar, definitely.

ATFs, if blended locally, may be blended with different sources of basestocks and additives, but are being blended to meet the required specs. So, paper specs might not look the same. But, performance is what is required.

Reply from Castrol UK:

Castrol Transmax Z is essentially the same formulation used globally however the UK grade does not have the addition of the green dye and, although performing to Dexron III requirements, does not carry the official Dexron III approval. The reason for this is that this product was originally aimed at the truck and bus market where a Dexron III approval was not needed.

The UK version of Transmax Z can be safely used in your vehicle as service fill or top up.

Curious enough that the UK version, that carry exactly the same specs and characteristics as the spanish one, is not green, while the spanish is.

Anyway, I'll go with Transmax Z.

By the way, you won't believe the prices the Castrol dealers are asking here for 20 liters of Transmax Z: 500 EUROS + VAT!!. About 750 USD.

So nice that my father belongs to a farmers association and I just found out they have huge discounts on BP products as they buy all their tractors oils from BP, they'll get me the Transmax Z for 200 EUROS + VAT. Still expensive but such a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back