2009 Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big John:
I think 500 miles is too soon for the first change (even though earlier in my life I used to change my initial fill at 1000 or 1200 miles). If it were mine I'd change the initial fill between 3 and 5K and then follow the VW recommended schedule. If you find out that the dealer isn't using full synthetic then shorten it to 5 to 7K.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Quote:
The only change is VWoA is footing the bill for the first couple of oil changes, as part of the CareFREE maintenance plan.

Exactly. When I had my 02 Passat with the 1.8T engine, a friend of mine had an 02 A4 with the same exact engine. Her manual recomnmended 10K and mine 5K. Why? Audi had free maintenance, VW did not. My friend's Audi has sludged and had to have a rebuild and she maintained it by the book.

As for my 07 Passat (2.0T FSI), I changed it at 800 miles, 3000 miles and have been doing 3K drains since using Valvoline Synpower 5w-40. I probably change too much, but for $70 every four or five months, I have a piece of mind and don't have to worry about whether I'm pushing it.

Good feedback. On Sunday, I took advantage of the Pep Boys sale and picked up 5 quarts of GC 0w30 for a change at 500 miles. I am currently at 380 miles....so will probably change on Saturday.

I am really curious how the car will react to GC.

Hopefully better than me, when I tried 5w30, VW504 spec oils. My oil consumption rate was literally 1L/1000 miles

I consume some oil between changes, though not enough to have to add any. I basically go from about the top of the dipstick hash mark to the middle of the hash mark over 3000 miles. And it also depends on how much high speed driving I do. When I drive at 80-85mph through the W. Virginia mountains, I use a little more oil. But I still don't have to top off between changes.

I also used Maxlife synthetic 5w-30 early in the car's life when that oil was still VW502. I notice no difference in consumption between that and the Synpower 5w-40.

We had temps in the mid-40's today in Colorado Springs....just a beautiful day, so I decided to twist a wrench on the new car.

Yep....I dumped the factory fill with 1,000 miles on the oil and poured in GC. I will run that oil to the 5,000 mile mark and then do GC again.

At the 10k mark, I will let the Stealer do the "FREE" service.

Have I said this before....OMG, I love this car. It is completely friggin awesome. The Passat 2.0L TSI rocks!!!!

By the way, it is sorta cool that the sump takes 4.4 quarts of oil. That "left-over" 1/2 a quart will be perfect for 'top-offs'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
chip it. It's more fun.

I looked into the APR ECU upgrade, but it will void my warrantee....so will pass for the time being.

Very tempting though, with the crazy sale they have going on right now.

I'm surprised the TSI only took 4.4 qts. My FSI manual says it takes 4.4 too, but 5 qts gets it exactly at the top of the hash mark on the dipstick.

Yeah, I love my Passat too. Have owned it now going on 3 years and still get excited to drive it on a long trip. I've driven rentals of the new Malibu, Camry and Altima, and they just aren't the same, at least not the 4 cylinder versions.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
chip it. It's more fun.

I looked into the APR ECU upgrade, but it will void my warrantee....so will pass for the time being.

Very tempting though, with the crazy sale they have going on right now.

It won't void your warranty. The chip is usually undetectable unless the dealer really makes an effort to look for it. Plus, APR has been in this business for a long time and they know what they are doing, so their products won't cause any damage.

I think chipping/remapping would make more sense if BigJohn's Passat had more miles on it -- if it was closer to the end of the warranty period. But his signature says it's still on the factory fill, it is nearly brand new.

I know at least one person who picked up a new VW and drove immediately to a shop to get it chipped. But he was very confident in his abilities to fix any future problems himself, and did not place much value on the factory warranty.

OP....

DO NOT CHANGE THE FACTORY FILL OIL TOO EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is VWoA won't definitely state what is contained in the FF and it may well still have break in properties that the typical consumer is unaware of!

If you must wait until around 4 or 5k and then change it.

Make sure to use the VW specified approved oil for your engine. Not doing so may void your warranty.

If you use the dealer ask them to see the bill for the bulk fill they are receiving....Be polite but insistant on this. If they are honest they won't hesitate to show you the bill.

It used to be common for US VW dealers to actually use DINO fill for all service..and it ruined quite a few engines!

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I'm surprised the TSI only took 4.4 qts. My FSI manual says it takes 4.4 too, but 5 qts gets it exactly at the top of the hash mark on the dipstick.

Yeah, I love my Passat too. Have owned it now going on 3 years and still get excited to drive it on a long trip. I've driven rentals of the new Malibu, Camry and Altima, and they just aren't the same, at least not the 4 cylinder versions.

I poured in 4 quarts, started up the car and let it run for about 3 minutes. Turned it off and topped it off with 0.4 more quarts. About an hour later, had to run into town for errands. After about 20 miles and upon getting home, I checked the level again and it was topped off.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
OP....

DO NOT CHANGE THE FACTORY FILL OIL TOO EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact is VWoA won't definitely state what is contained in the FF and it may well still have break in properties that the typical consumer is unaware of!

If you must wait until around 4 or 5k and then change it.

Make sure to use the VW specified approved oil for your engine. Not doing so may void your warranty.

If you use the dealer ask them to see the bill for the bulk fill they are receiving....Be polite but insistant on this. If they are honest they won't hesitate to show you the bill.

It used to be common for US VW dealers to actually use DINO fill for all service..and it ruined quite a few engines!

Well versed on VW and their requirements.......

Factory fill is long gone (already in the Checkers recycle barrel) after 1,000 miles and GC is doing its job. GC is a 502 oil, so no worries.

Don't really care if VW poured in some vooodooo breakin stuff, I have seen enough FF UOA's with 1,000 miles on the oil....and plenty too much iron and copper....and I am dumping that junk. As for VW and their recommendations....I think they are full of [censored]. Before they gave away three free oil changes, their first service was at 5k. Then all the sudden the oil changes were free and the 5k Service disappeared and became 10k. They are friggin nuts. First of all, I am not doing 10k OCI's. I will do 5k OCI's on this 2.0T motor, period....end of story. There is no question that good 502 will have a powerful TBN to make 10k miles, but this engine will quickly shear even the greatest oils a full grade and the TBN will still be in the 4's to 5's. For me it will be 5k.

Don't care if I wasted good oil or money. Makes me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back