wireless question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally replace my computers every 5 years or so, but may have to hang on to them longer until this economy straightens out.
In my home office I have 3 computers: a Dell desktop, and 2 Sony laptops (one mine, one the wifes).
My Sony varies in it's connection speed. The others will hold steady at 54Mbps, yet mile will act slow or freeze up. When I check it, it is 24.0 Mbps or less, sometimes down to 1.0. If I go to support, and click on repair, it will reconnect at 54.0 for a while and lose it later.
I need to know if this is an expensive fix, or I should just replace it. Any ideas?

Probably just the wireless adapter in your notebook going bad. If it is built-in wireless you can usually pop off a cover and replace the radio. They are usually mini pci express cards or something. You could also disable the built-in wireless card and try a wireless adapter that connects to a USB port. It is probably not the router if the other PC work fine.

if money is tight, you can buy usb adapters either in store or online that work of the usb slot. you can disable the one in the notebook and use the usb one. They make them really small now so as not to be an inconvenience, and they are fairly inexpensive to purchase also. hopefully that helps

Mini PCIE and MINI pci cards on ebay are 5$ so not big deal ...
What card do you have Atheros,Broadcom,Intel ?

Open up a cover check the antenna tiny white and black cables maybe they are disconnected ?

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
My Sony varies in it's connection speed. The others will hold steady at 54Mbps, yet mile will act slow or freeze up. When I check it, it is 24.0 Mbps or less, sometimes down to 1.0. If I go to support, and click on repair, it will reconnect at 54.0 for a while and lose it later.

I had the exact same problem with my Toshiba laptop, and the solution was as easy as updating my WiFi driver. See here for full details:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1687283#Post1687283

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back