Copying files over wifi - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The task at hand: Wirelessly copy pictures from my Windows Vista desktop PC to my wife's new MacBook.

Setup:
Cable Internet
Belkin G Wireless Router, set to WPA security.
PC attached (wired connection) to wireless router.
Macbook gets signal from wireless router.
File sharing is currently turned OFF on PC.

Please help me do this. Thanks.

make sure openssh (secure shell) is running on the mac. Shutoff the mac firewall (for the time being)

Download http://winscp.net/eng/index.php for the windows machine.

Get the IP of your mac (from a mac Terminal window, type "ifconfig -a") should be something like 192.168.1.101

double click the winscp icon and connect to the mac with the mac's IP. Use your wife's credentials on the Macbook to authenticate. D N Drop the pictures directory.

This is "one" way to do it, not necessarily "the way", but it can be extended to securely copying files over the internet. Without the ridiculousness of turning on filesharing.

Obviously more details to come as you move thru the process.

In essence you are using the secure file transfer software on the mac (as a server) and loading a client program on Windoze that "talks the language" BTW, this is the defacto secure way of tranfering files and of course Windows can't do it without installing extra software.

Last edited:
simple_gifts, Thanks for the instructions. I may give that a shot, but I have to admit, it looks intimidating to me.

Quattro Pete, I have a 4GB SD card. That's probably going to be the easiest way to do it.

Thanks guys.

Pendrive ... or loook to file sharing like Mac/Windows SMB

Last edited:
Another way is to use System Preferences > Sharing, enable File Sharing on the Mac. Note the Mac's computer name in that screen, for the sake of this message, we'll call it HerMac

from your PC, hit the Windows Key + R (same as Start > Run in XP)
then type in \\HerMac , hit enter.
Enter in the logon name and password she uses for her Mac. Now copy the files from Vista to her Pictures folder on the Mac...

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Another way is to use System Preferences > Sharing, enable File Sharing on the Mac. Note the Mac's computer name in that screen, for the sake of this message, we'll call it HerMac

from your PC, hit the Windows Key + R (same as Start > Run in XP)
then type in \\HerMac , hit enter.
Enter in the logon name and password she uses for her Mac. Now copy the files from Vista to her Pictures folder on the Mac...

TNS, I tried this last night, and it works. I didn't actually copy any files, but it looks like I should be able to. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back