Best Oils For 2000 VW Passat 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

First time poster - excellent site with tons of information. I own a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T which is a known sludger. The car is not under any sort of warranty so I am free to use any oil I choose. I have been strictly adhering to the VW approved oil list but want to now consider other options. I have been using full synthetic up to this point. I also think I may need an oil with perhaps a stronger cleaner additive pack or something. With the wealth of experience on this board I would like to ask what people would recommend as their top three synthetic oils for my car. I live in Calgary, AB (cold climate) and would like to follow a fairly tight OCI (around 6,000kms max). Thanks in advance!

welcome.gif

Garpo, I also own a '00 Passat 1.8T. VW 502.00 GC 0w30 for 5qts using the huge Mann W950/4 aka Purolator L40316 is my oil/filter combo of choice. I get better mileage and throttle response using this lighter oil vs. the standard 5w40 oem fare.
cheers.gif

Have you owned the car since new?

I bought a 2000 with the 1.8T, and it included service for the first 2 years/24,000 miles

The dealers were putting whatever bulk oil they had into the engine. I asked them what they installed and they said this year it is Quaker State 5w30.

They also overfilled it every time I took it in for the "free" service. I guess they were trying for return repairs.

I used Mobil 1 and would dump the free oil after 1000 miles are so. This was still in the time of the small filters. When the TSB for the larger filters came out, I just used the filters from my diesel Jetta.

Car is now owned by my sister still going strong with just a little coloring on the head, no sludge.

I think that German Castrol would be the oil of choice now, I have told my brother in law to use that or M1 0w40 or m1 5w40 but we are a bit warmer down here in Texas than you are in Alberta.

Good Luck

McKittrick, I also did the same oil regimen since new albeit I dumped the oil midway of the 5k freebie oils(every 2.5k; besides knowing then that turbos are killer on oil thus the halfway changes)using A3 Durablend 10w40 then..I knew the dealer was filling in crappy oil(free oil for customers means
nono.gif
oil and knowing VW dealers
rolleyes.gif
).

Btw, the Mann W950/4 is also a diesel oil filter..used for the '92-96 2.5L Eurovan Diesel and the old Volvo 740 oil burner. Except for the huge capacity, all gaskets/specs match the small and larger oem Passat 1.8T filter.

Great advice all around. I use Mobil 1 0W-40 on a 6 month / 3k mi = 5k km OCI, with the 068-115-561B filter. I picked up two Mann/Purolator L40136 filters at PepBoys for $1.50 each after rebate(!), and if they clear my left engine mount, I'll use them from now on.

Keep the oil level topped up to the top of the hash on the dipstick, adding fractions of quarts between oil changes, as needed.

I thought they extended the warranty on sludgers.
dunno.gif

If its still under warranty, then by all means run a 502.00 approved oil such as M1 0w-40.

If it's out-of-warranty, you should give some consideration to the Esso XD3 0w-30 synthetic as it'd probably work fine in this engine even though it doesn't meet VW 502.00 specs.

My pal Moribundman says that one should continue using official VW 502.00 approved oils even when out-of-warranty, so I'm expecting some serious criticism to follow....
gr_eek2.gif
128.gif

quote:

My pal Moribundman says that one should continue using official VW 502.00 approved oils even when out-of-warranty, so I'm expecting some serious criticism to follow....

The criticism follows because I surely don't appreciate it if anybody, and that includes my pal Michael Wan, puts words in my mouth that I have never said.
tongue.gif

I have no problem with using non-approved oils during or after the warranty period. I am not using an approved oil in my engine. However, I am aware of the properties of that particular and oil and thus feel confident to use it. However, unlike my pal Michael Wan, I will not recommend anyone to use oil x, simply because "it'd probably work fine in this engine even though it doesn't meet" the proper spec.

"...I would like to ask what people would recommend as their top three synthetic oils for my car."

Since you're in the Great White North, my top 3 recommendations are:
1)Castrol Syntec 0w30
2)M1 0w40
3)M1 5w40
An honorable mention goes to Amsoil Euro. formula 5w40

I have an Audi TT 225 with the 1.8T. I have been using M1 T&S 5w-40 since new. I have had no problems with it at all. I live in Maryland so it does not get really cold here as it would up north. The oil performs perfectly. It only darkens a little when i have it changed every 5K.

As far as commonly available oils for that engine go, I echo wavinwayne's choice. I'd use the 5W-40 during the warmer months and go with one of the other two oils during the winter.

Is there a particular reason that the Syntec 5W-40 isn't mentioned? I was thinking I could go with the M1 0W-40 (which I'm using now) in the winter, and the Syntec 5W-40 in the summer. Thanks for the many replies - much appreciated.

Syntec 5W-40 is just fine! I believe that M1 5W-40 is a superior oil, but don't let my belief keep you from using Castrol 5W-40. It meets VW 502 and if it's available for a reasonable price it's certainly a good choice.

Since they both are VW 502.00 approved, either one is perfectly fine year-round in the 1.8T. Personally, I've always leaned toward Syntec 0w30 vs. Syntec 5w40, for the "marginal" increase in fuel efficiency. That's my story, anyway.
wink.gif

I suppose another reason to use GC 0w30 in the 1.8t eginge over the 5w40 is that GC 0w30 is more shear stable. If it is true that oil shearing contributes to sludge, then you may be better off with the GC 0w30 in the 1.8t which is know to have a slude problem with some oils. The 1.8t also shears oil quite easily.

I agree with the oil filters listed above. You at the very least want to use the OEM VW/Audi filter or the Mann equivlent below (listed from the www.mann-hummel.com cross reference).

code:

Designation Manufacturer MANN-FILTER

068 115 561 B VW GROUP (AUDI/SEAT/SKODA/VW) W 940/25

I agree with the oil filters listed above. You at the very least want to use the OEM VW/Audi filter or the Mann equivlent below (listed from the www.mann-hummel.com cross reference).

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designation Manufacturer MANN-FILTER 068 115 561 B VW GROUP (AUDI/SEAT/SKODA/VW) W 940/25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, before I went for the "Mannolator", I did a comparative research on the 06A115561B-W719/30(small), 068115561B-W940/25(larger) and the W950/4 via the Mann website.

I was going for the W940/25..but the only difference between the W950/4 is that the former is around 2in shorter than the latter. Every specs down to the bypass/ADB valve psi of 2.5 does match..even to the small 06A.

quote:

I did a comparative research on the 06A115561B-W719/30(small), 068115561B-W940/25(larger) and the W950/4 via the Mann website.

I did the same thing. I can get the Mann W 940/25 cheaper than the Purolator L40316 so I'm sticking with the 940/25. But if the price flip-flops, I'll use the Puro L40316 (Mann 950/4).

BTW: The Purolator L30257 cross-refs on the Mann site as 940/25 (one of there options). Anybody seen the L30257 do see if it's a repackaged Mann like the L40316?

[ December 22, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: audi_guy ]

Audi_guy, I think I've seen a black L30257 before at one PBY branch..as a repacked Knecht-Mahle, while others were white(Wix sourced).

I've got 6 L40316 for $1.50 each. Two of which somehow are non-Mann sourced(suspect: Mahle 0C105 - also a cross reference filter)..ditto on the Made in Germany labeling; also black in color and are very robustly made as MH. But I just might swap it for real Manns later on..

Btw, $1.50/Mann "Purolatored" filters after rebate from PBY is like next to free..can't think of anywhere else you could get it for less than that.
smile.gif

[ December 22, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back