Another Cooper CS4 customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in the past that I was looking for a tire for my parents PT Cruiser. I narrowed it down to the Yokohama Touring S and the Goodyear Fuel Max in a 205/55/16.

I had my parents do the last rotation on their Toyo Proxes 4's. After the rotation. The fronts had 5/32nd and the rears had 4/32nd.

Well my dad just called me. They were driving home from Las Vegas, and noticed one of the front tires making a noise on the highway. So they stopped in their local Goodyear shop, "they bought the Toyo's from them". It looks like the tire was shredding itself from the inside. My dad calls and asked what tires he should buy from them. This Goodyear store also stocks Cooper and Toyo's. The set of Proxes 4's on their car now, are some of the last sets made in Japan. Since all the newer Proxes 4 are made in China now.

I could hear the salesman asking my dad about the Goodyear RSA's. I told my dad they are only 26,000 mile tire and they wear super quick, and get [censored] poor reviews. I then heard the salesman ask my dad is there a reason he didn't like the RSA's? I then told my dad to ask about the Cooper CS4's.

He got the CS4's T rated installed on their PT. This should be the last set of tires for this car. They are 78,000 mile tire. I see the PT falling a part before the Coopers do!

16554_2.jpg

That is the same tire that I am considering for my Cavalier, but in a 195/70/14 size....

They are getting some positive reviews.....

Does make me wonder though, with the A A temp rating, I wonder if they will be rock hard in a MI winter (Altra(sp)max RTs. which also have that A A temp rating....

I tried them & they wouldn't balance which caused my steering to constantly wobble. Nevertheless, exchanged them & the wobbling has disappeared. I hope your parents have better experiences than I did.

At a local Pep Boys here in louisville one of the tire people mentioned that they have had a lot of bad tires from cooper. They would not balance....

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
At a local Pep Boys here in louisville one of the tire people mentioned that they have had a lot of bad tires from cooper. They would not balance....

Some GY seem to have that problem too....

Originally Posted By: ZZman
They get a good rating. I considered them myself.

And you purchased what tire instead?

Originally Posted By: Button
I tried them & they wouldn't balance which caused my steering to constantly wobble. Nevertheless, exchanged them & the wobbling has disappeared. I hope your parents have better experiences than I did.

Same problem here. I bought a set for my friend's Prius due to the good reviews on here.

At the time of installation, they required between 1.5 to 3 ounces PER SIDE to balance.

1500 miles later, when I had the car back in the shop for another alignment, the tech noticed a vibration from the front-end during the test drive. The tires were out-of-balance again, and required a ridiculous amount of weight to balance. We rotated the orientation of the rim 180 degrees and tried rebalancing, but that only helped a little.

There are NO high/low marks on the tire for match mounting, which is quite odd.

You will find that Michelins dont have the marks either.... because they built the tire right in the first place and dont need them. You will also find that most michelins need very little weight to balance them on the wheel.... Quality control....it does cost some extra money....

You will find that Michelins dont have the marks either.... because they built the tire right in the first place and dont need them. You will also find that most michelins need very little weight to balance them on the wheel.... Quality control....it does cost some extra money....

Michelins do have marks, I've seen it before.

All tires have high/low spots, that is something characteristic of all tires.

I emailed Cooper to find out much the 205/55/16 T rated CS4's weigh. They said they weigh 24 lbs. That is on the heavy side of this tire size. The Goodyear Fuel Max weighs 18lbs, and the Yokohama Touring S weighs 21 lbs.

They did not have them on my Hydro Edge....Energy mxv4 and the Primacy ..

The OE ones do.

Otherwise, you can find the high spots using a balancer such as the Hunter GSP9700 or a Coats XR1850.

I install tires at our business

I personally don't like the Cooper CS4, I think it is a heavy, noisey tire, I also think that they do not balance the best. Funny other people here have the same thoughts I do....

For the Cruiser, I would take some michelins or sumitomo's

but if those particular coopers mounted on your car work for you, then congrats on getting some decent tires, they are not all the same

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 38sho
I install tires at our business

I personally don't like the Cooper CS4, I think it is a heavy, noisey tire, I also think that they do not balance the best. Funny other people here have the same thoughts I do....

For the Cruiser, I would take some michelins or sumitomo's

but if those particular coopers mounted on your car work for you, then congrats on getting some decent tires, they are not all the same

Coopers in general?

the Discover H/T seems to be a decent riding tire when not in Load Range E applications

also they have that Plus model used for bigger diameter wheels, I've installed a few sets of those and they seem to work decent

the Cooper Trendsetter SE, although a cheap feeling tire, and cheap on the wallet, USUALLY balances out nicely with little weight and rides smooth......

I don't like their Zeon lines, the CS4, or the tires for Load Range E applications(although they have a lot of tread depth, more so then other tires) they are heavy, noisey, and ride bad. For something in the same price range as the big truck tires, I would pick the Uniroyal HD/H tire over it without a second thought. Superior tire for the price

I have never needed the Hunter Road force to balance michelins. They have balanced well and with very little weights in the past...

I have a set of V-rated CS4s on my Park Avenue, which is a car that is notoriously sensitive to imbalance or runout. They are fine. Mine were balanced on a Hunter roadforce machine, though. The weights were mostly 0.5 or 0.75. There was one inboard side that took a 1.5.

Over the last six years, I've bought 5.5 sets of Cooper tires, and they all have balanced OK. The all-season passenger car tires didn't take very much weight. A couple winter tires and one LT-metric tire took some pretty big weights, though.

I can't see/feel any radial or lateral runout on any of the 22 tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back