2008 GL1800

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see how much wear improved with the oil change. Aluminum still has room for
improvement but with another oil change or two all wear should read normally. The viscosity of the oil was a
bit low for a 5W/40 and read in the 5W/30 range. Regardless of its cause, we don't think the low viscosity is a problem and no harmful
contaminants were found. The TBN read 4.8 so you still had plenty of active additive left. Try going
11,000-12,000 miles on the next oil.

MI/HR on Oil 10,500
MI/HR on Unit 14,450
Oil Rotella Synthetic 5w-40

ALUMINUM 13
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 29
COPPER 27
LEAD 2
TIN 5
MOLYBDENUM 75
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 3
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 20
SILICON 12
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 2355
MAGNESIUM 217
PHOSPHORUS 958
ZINC 1170
BARIUM 3

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 61.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.75
Flashpoint in °F 385
Fuel % .05
Antifreeze % 0
Water % 0
Insolubles % .03
TBN 4.8

I had a punctured oil filter at 8500 miles, replaced the filter and 1 quart with Rotella Synthetic 5w-40.

Last edited:
Looks good considering the amount of miles on the oil...What's the manual on the goldwing say about OCI's ?

The factory fill was to be changed out at 4k, and every 8k thereafter. I would have run this oil to 12k, but it is starting to get cold out. I wish I hadn't had to replace the filter and a quart, but I hit something in the road, and I had a constant drip, 700 miles from home. I really would have liked to see what the analysis would have looked like with all the oil having 10k on it.

The factory fill analysis is here:

Equipment Make & Model- Honda Motorcycle GL1800cc

OIL TYPE & GRADE: Gasoline Engine Oil
OIL USE INTERVAL: 4,016

Yes this was indeed Honda's factory oil. This type of oil uses a lot of molybdenum and they use it in almost all
of their new engines, not just motorcycles. Molybdenum is typically an anti-wear additive, though it may have another
use in their factory oil. In any case, nothing unusual showed up here. Wear is high due to break-in of new parts, while
silicon is from sealers and both should improve nicely next time. Universal averages show normal wear after about
4,700 miles. TBN was strong at 3.6, so the oil has lots of active additive left. Try ~5K miles next oil.

ALUMINUM -16
CHROMIUM -1
IRON -45
COPPER -68
LEAD-4
TIN-0
MOLYBDENUM-385
NICKEL-1
MANGANESE-7
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-6
BORON-143
SILICON-22
SODIUM-8
CALCIUM-1628
MAGNESIUM-8
PHOSPHORUS-727
ZINC-774
BARIUM-14

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C -8.62
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F -54.5
Flashpoint in °F -390
Fuel % -0.5
Antifreeze %
Water % -0.1
Insolubles % -0.3
TBN -3.6
TAN
ISO Code

Wear metals look higher than what I would want if it was my bike. I don't think it is cause for concern though, just a result of a 10K oci. I personally would drop down to about an 6-8K oci. TBN was high because of the added oil when you changed the filter.

Last edited:
Yes, adding a quart is 25% of the volume (actually rated at 3.9 quarts, but just about everyone I know, including myself, puts in a gallon just and calls it a day). This would bolster a TBN number, especially when done towards the UOA.

However, I see value in this report. Shows reduction in wear metals. They are cumulative, so while they might seem "high", they are coming down, and need to be viewed either on a PPM/mile basis, or get the UOA done near the "universal average" mileage so you can compare to the rest of GL1800 society. I don't see much value in the later.

Yet another UOA from a Honda that shows a few things. First, the factory OCI isn't as unbeliveable as some would suspect. Second, you can stretch out an OCI way past the factory recommendation with a quality HDEO. Third, those that OCI their motorcycles every 3k miles are seriously AR. Lastly, did I mention the longer drain intervals?
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back