coolant decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
Originally Posted By: bigmike

I can get the list of chemicals used from GL next time I'm in Kmart and provide them if it would warrant a good discussion?

I think my container of Peak GL PreMix only mentions ethylene glycol, sodium benzoate and a fifteen digit 'proprietary inhibitor' that translates to a New Jersey Trade Secret Registry Number or NJTSRN .

The KMarts by me also have the product. Good to see that it's not limited to my area.

Yeah, I read that from another thread and went to check the back label last week at Kmart to see if it listed this NJTSRN. It did not have it listed on the Peak GL that I could find.

How did coolant mangage to get so complicated. What are my GM choices? What are my green fluid Ford choices? What is compatible to mix? Is this another EPA driven mess? Can someone knowledgable make a list?

Wow that was a lot of questions. Life used to be pretty simple in this regard.

From the Peak website concerning Global:

Formulated for use in all American, Asian and European automobiles

Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free

Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze including green, yellow, orange, fuschia, blue and red

I flushed my daughter's 2004 Sable and put in the Global last winter. My son has a 95 Suburban, and I'll do the same in the next couple of weeks. From the threads posted here, and reading about the stuff, it seems to have none of the bad ingredients we read about and car manufacturers warn about. I'll probably do a drain and refill every couple of years, regardless of the lifetime warranty.

Mark

Try Walgreens (the drug store). I get the concentrated for about $10 a gallon. I've also heard K-mart carries it.

Mark

I'm with you Mark. I've read about as much as I can handle about antifreeze and have come to the conclusion that the Peak GL might be my best bet. I plan to do a flush of the Dexcool next month, once I collect up enough distilled water.

Kmart is the only place I've seen it so far around here. And it's premix as well.

Your looking at a long, long job to get all the dex out. I recently flushed mine out and replaced it with chevron green anti-freeze.

Had to start and drain atleast 10 times before the water came out clear and not orange.

I figured as much, but I'm going to buy about 20 gallons of distilled water to begin the flushing. Also, the Peak GL can mix with Dexcool if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back