Amsoil 5w-30, 12,175 miles, 04 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
vehicle-----------------04 Toyota Tacoma, 2RZ-FE, 2.4L, 4 cyl
OIL---------------------5.8 qts 3:1 Amsoil ASL 5W-30/ASM 0w-20 incl 3 oz Auto-RX
oil additive------------3 oz Auto-RX
Make up oil-----------none
Engine oil capacity---5.8 quarts
oil filter----------------Amsoil EaO57
air filter-----------------Amsoil EaA
miles on oil/filter------12,175 (apprx 1 year, 9/08-9/09)
miles on vehicle--------63,456

UOA by Oil Analyzers:
Overall severity of report--------3 (abnormal)

LAB COMMENTS: Viscosity is SIGNIFICANTLY HIGH; Total Base Number is MODERATELY LOW; Infrared results indicate beginning lube oxidation; Boron is moderately low for this lubricant; Lubricant change acknowledged

WEAR METALS in PPM:
iron--------------------10
chromium-------------0
nickel------------------0
aluminum-------------2
copper-----------------7
lead--------------------6
tin----------------------0
cadmium--------------0
silver-------------------0

vanadium-------------0
CONTAMINANT METALS:
silicon-----------------22
sodium----------------9
potassium-------------2
MULTI-SOURCE METALS:
titanium---------------0
molybdenum---------46
Antimony-------------0
Manganese-----------0
Lithium---------------0
boron------------------63
ADDITIVE METALS:
magnesium-----------13
calcium----------------3612
barium-----------------2
phosphorus------------713
zinc---------------------938
Lube change-----------YES
Lube filter change----yes
fuel Soot Water visc40------------------n/a
visc100----------------15.3
TAN--------------------n/a
TBN--------------------3.36
oxidation--------------52
nitration---------------34

NOTES/COMMENTS:
This is my brother's truck. Probably around 60% highway, 40% city. Some towing apprx 1300# trailer. Viscosity of first UOA -- ASL without Auto-RX, 8,346 miles---slightly high at 11.3. So, it appears to me the very high viscosity is due to Auto-RX. Compared to last sample, which had about 1,000 more miles: iron is up 1 ppm; aluminum up 1 ppm; copper down 2 ppm; lead down 2 ppm; silicon up 2 ppm; sodium up 2 ppm; potassium up 1 ppm; viscosity up from 14.6 to 15.3. Sodium & potassium only showed up in UOA’s with Auto-RX use. TBN holding up well. Looks like air filter may need cleaning. Oil on dipstick looked fairly clean/clear. I’d expect viscosity to come down after next oil change, as present run without Auto-RX could be considered a highly modified rinse phase.

PREVIOUS ANALYSIS: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post945029
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1243473

OIL CHANGED TO: 1 qt Amsoil ASM 0W-20 & remaider Amsoil ASL 5W-30. NO Auto-RX added.

When you are using one of the best oils in the world why use an engine cleaner? I don't see the point of it, but the oil seems to holding up well.

Ran the oil too long and stuck foreign objects (ARX) in it. Go back to oem AF. Throw 'em away when they get dirty.

I believe there is a TSB out recommending not using the EAO-57 in Toyotas for extended drains. Possible clogging. fyi.

Originally Posted By: buster
I believe there is a TSB out recommending not using the EAO-57 in Toyotas for extended drains. Possible clogging. fyi.

That's interesting. I was just shopping for an more oil and filters for my Tacoma at amsoil.com and noticed that the EOA57 filter wasn't listed in the vehicle lookup page even though it technically fits the application. Could just be a problem with the lookup, but I wonder if it has been pulled, so to speak.

robert

Originally Posted By: tig1
When you are using one of the best oils in the world why use an engine cleaner? I don't see the point of it, but the oil seems to holding up well.

Having seen what past conventional oil can do to an engine over many thousands of miles, and because this truck had been run on conventional oil for first 30,000 miles, I recommended a maintenance dose of Auto-RX for a little extra cleaning. I don't think it was necessary & didn't think it would hurt. If I could do it over, I wouldn't recommend the addition of Auto-RX with the synthetic oil. I've seen Auto-RX cleaning results on a engine with much less than 30,000 miles running synthetic oil. At this point, I'd only recommend Auto-RX with conventional or group III oil, unless it's for much shorter intervals.

Thanks for pointing that out. The last time I checked the application chart, EaO-57 was listed for this & my 05 Toyota 1Gr-FE 4.0L engine, but only a Mann 7500 mile filter now. Though I really don't see how the EaO filter could be a problem in a clean engine with 100% synthetic oil.

Here's the TSB:

AMSOIL TSB FL-2009-05-01

And from the thread I found that in:

Quote:
I called them about it, they didn't last long enough so they took them off the list until they find out why. They said to use another filter and change it out half way, depending on what oil you are using. just add half a quart when you change the filter. The dealer on this forum said the amsoil filter is fine for 10k and that because I was using xl (7500 miles) it should last for that, its the 25k that it didn't make it to.

robert

Obviously the EAO's are filtering out more stuff than other filters... I would use an EAO9, 10, 57 and simply change it at 7500 miles.

Really suprised by the thickening. Oil condition appears fine, TBN is still good, and silicon isn't that high for the miles.

Only leaves one explanation - severe oxidization leading to oil thickening. Weird, though, b/c toyota 4-cylinders are 'usually' very easy on oil, AND 12k isn't THAT much for Amsoil's PAO oils.....weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back