Sharing this w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy did some good work. He didn't know about the combo valve on the ST filter. I think we've seen this before ..since I know I commented on this before.

The one guy in that thread with his "filled up" obsession with filters is off the reservation ..but I guess we all are on some things.
21.gif

well count me on the filled up thing...it made sense to me that more filtration meant it would clog faster but I guess that is not the case?

As for the ST...please explain...I always thought they were top quality for the money they cost???

where i buy my filters (WM) I have 2 choices for the jeep. Fram or ST. ST is made by champ and I have been meaning to switch to them. Since i have been putting orange cans in the jeep. I think they are very good for 3k-4k changes and far supperiour to frams. ST is a good filter I have used them before in my pontiac.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
well count me on the filled up thing...it made sense to me that more filtration meant it would clog faster but I guess that is not the case?

As for the ST...please explain...I always thought they were top quality for the money they cost???

Filter saturation is directly related to warm up time. The more warm up miles you have compared to total miles, the more "filled up" your filter gets. To arbitrarily state that the filter is "filled up" at a given mileage or time without the slightest indication of what service it's subjected to ..well, it's just wrong.

ST's are a decent low cost filter.

This filter dissection(300C Forum) has been posted and discussed here before. Other than not knowing about the combo adbv/bypass on ST, I thought the guy did a good job. I found the "45-speed record adapter spring thingy" to describe the Puro bypass and the "bung thingy" to describe the K&N dome nut, comical but fairly accurate. Poster Deep Lava on the 300C forum also did a nice job summarizing the info in a spreadsheet.

IMO, the poster on the Jeep board should have given credit to the original filter study guy. He even left off Deep Lava's info at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

But, this 300C filter study is ever so much better than the idiotic filter study commentary from the Rubicon forum by DoctorDolt. posted here. Poster Dolt is the guy that ranked the Pure One last of all the filters tested. Dr.Dolt was/is obviously clueless IMO.
33.gif

As I pointed out other times, some good information, but dated now. Filters are an ever changing world, and what was once true, may not hold now.

The guy sort of reminds me of CR, good data, but the conclusions don't follow from it.

I would take an ST or other Champ filter over the current Purolator ''classic''. I will be changing oil on my truck today or tomorrow. I have an STP 3950 to on in place of Micro Guard 10193. Unlike recent Purolators, it looks like the whole can is full of media.

Last edited:
Most who hold those types of views are stuck in the 70's. Most people of my demographic are (50+ years old). They had experiences then ..and figured that "snap shot" was good for the rest of time. It never occurred to them that it was a dynamic technology that actually may advance.

I agree that it's far better to change oil too often than not often enough.

Originally Posted By: defekete
At lest they are changing it

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Most who hold those types of views are stuck in the 70's. Most people of my demographic are (50+ years old). They had experiences then ..and figured that "snap shot" was good for the rest of time. It never occurred to them that it was a dynamic technology that actually may advance.

I agree that it's far better to change oil too often than not often enough.

I somewhat agree, but changing M1 every 3K is lunacy and a huge waste. Im not arguing with the safety of changing oil early, but these guys are a bit over the top. Not even willing to look into the hows and whys of long drains. Heck, even before I learned of BITOG I ran Syntec for 7.5K hard miles with nary a care in the world. Ill admit I was skeptical when I joined up here about 10K+ OCI but learned that it isnt so far fetched and makes a lot of sense.

I was right there with the 25k/1year thing when M1 came to market. I had a "dark ages" in my life where that went into hiatus, but have always been an extended drain type.

Economics should be most people's guides when it comes to oil selection. Superior is usually only superior when taken beyond what the next lower alternative presents in costs. That is, any cost difference has to offset the (otherwise) avoided costs of not using it ..at least to make economic sense. It's what made RTS such a winner @ $19/gallon. Its upstage competitor was almost twice the price (Delvac 1 @ about $38/gallon +S&H). It only had to best half the durability standard to work.

Other than filters cut open and opinions about them???? Oil filters aren't that critical. The air filter is the most important when it comes to prolonging engine life. Yes I would recommend a long life oil filter for extended oil change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back