Jack stand question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have jack stands that are rated 2 ton, does that mean it's rated for a 2 ton car, or that itself can hold 2 tons?

Same question for those drive up plastic ramps...

don't know - if you can buy single jack stands, and they do not specifically say on a label that it must be used in pairs, but give a load rating, i would interpret it as the rating for that single stand.

best to check with the manufacturer. do you have a photo which says the rating of the stand?

Keep in mind that even if your car weighs 6000 lbs if you only have the front (or rear) of it up in the air the jackstands (or ramps) are only supporting a fraction of that weight.

basically that weight rating is how much weight they can hold up, not how much the car can weigh. Four 2 ton jackstands, one at each corner, could support 8,000 lbs.

I would use the stand rating as my safety margin. Lift your typical car by the frame or pinch weld where you typically use the stand at firewall level then go check out how little effort it takes to lift the rear tire. Probably 70-75% weight on the front stand.

I was always under the impression that if a jack stand said it had a 2000 lb rating, it was for the 1 stand. Not the pair. Ramps however are rated as a pair. This is what I was taught, way, way back when. Maybe things have changed?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I was always under the impression that if a jack stand said it had a 2000 lb rating, it was for the 1 stand. Not the pair. Ramps however are rated as a pair. This is what I was taught, way, way back when. Maybe things have changed?

I was under that impression to. But I also really never thought too hard about it until he asked the question.

I did a quick search and now feel it should be rated as a pair. I have 2 pairs of 3 ton and 2 pairs of 6 ton stands. I could not see one of the stands holding up 6000-12000 lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I was under that impression to. But I also really never thought too hard about it until he asked the question.

I did a quick search and now feel it should be rated as a pair. I have 2 pairs of 3 ton and 2 pairs of 6 ton stands. I could not see one of the stands holding up 6000-12000 lbs.

It is confusing for sure. If I remember I will pull a jack stand and make a call Monday and find out for sure. My thinking is like yours only I could see 4 2 ton stands holding up 8000 lbs. Best to be safe than sorry and make an inquiry to be 100% certain. I'm positive the ramps are rated as a pair.

I've looked all over the box and on the jack stands I have... it doesn't say if the load is per jack or per set.

Last edited:
What is interesting here is the confusion. There should be a standard that is set for the entire industry. It should be stated clearly that the stands are rated by the pair, or individually, so there is no confusion. The standard should apply to any jack stands sold in the USA. Seems they're rated both ways, and that causes confusion which is not good, especially when safety is involved.

What is interesting here is the confusion. There should be a standard that is set for the entire industry. It should be stated clearly that the stands are rated by the pair, or individually, so there is no confusion. The standard should apply to any jack stands sold in the USA. Seems they're rated both ways, and that causes confusion which is not good, especially when safety is involved.

Good point.

I am kinda paranoid but I normally trust the stands. Especially when I use a pair of 6 ton stands. 12,000 lb capacity to hold up the front of my Taurus.
happy2.gif

i guess a good thing to consider here is that, if there isn't anything stated in the box, then treat it as a pair. just be paranoid... its your life on the line here.

i have a 3 ton rated jack stand for garage diy use that has been rated per jack stand (3 tons per jack stand), but i still treat it as 1.5 tons per jack stand.

also, i don't really have the habit of bring up the whole car on at least 4 stands. what i do is raise only either the fron or the rear and if possible, i don't remove the wheels. i only remove the wheels if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back