Nissan OEM Factory Filter 15208-65F0D cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctc

I dumped the factory fill and filter on my 08 Altima 3.5 VQ a few weeks ago. I cut open the factory filter this past weekend because I had seen a pic from about 4 years ago showing cardboard internals in the OEM filter for the VQs and wanted to see what they look like now. Anyway same deal, cardboard end caps.

Also, the factory filter is tiny. The 3rd pic shows it side by side with the pure one equivalent.

Note, the end cap was not damaged when I opened it up. I merely picked at it with my finger nail to show that it is indeed cardboard.

OEM2.jpg

OEM1.jpg

Side by side w/ the pure one.

Nissanvspureone.jpg

Is the Purolator filter an oversized one that fits this application?

Otherwise, I don't understand why the replacement filter would be so much bigger than the factory one?

How much mileage on the FF?

The Nissan filter is smaller than the 14610 but the same size as the Purolator 14612 and Mobil1-108, recommended for use on many VQ35 engines. They will all fit your vehicle just fine. The 14610 is the up size version for a Nissan, where the 14612 and M1-108 is recommended such as in the case of our '04 G35 and my '03 Altima 3.5SE which I once owned.

Last edited:
I believe there is a difference in the bypass which is something like 14 PSI when comparing the factory equivalent 14612 to the longer 14610. Anyone know how crucial this difference is?

Difference in start up pressure or flow?

Last edited:
14610 is what Purolator recommends for this application. It was also the filter recommended on my 3.0 on my 99 Maxima.

4100 mi on the OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'm using a 14610 right now and I haven't noticed anything unusual.

You are using the right filter based on the Purolator recommendation even though it is up sized from the original Nissan filter.

The Mobil1 site recommends the M1-108 filter which is the equivalent size of the Nissan filter and smaller than the 14610. The M1-108 is equivalent to the 14612.

Why Purolator is recommending a larger filter for this application beats me. Mobil1 seems to recommend the original spec filter. Who should we trust? The differences in flow must be very minimal for two different and reputable manufactures to recommend two different sizes.

Last edited:
I wish I had put a ruler beside the filters in that pic so you could have some perspective as to the size. The OEM is tiny. The Purolator is smaller than any other filter I have used as well and I'm talking 4, 6 and 8 cylinder apps.

Spartuss I know you're aware of the size, this is meant for the others that haven't seen and held them.

Last edited:
My father runs a 2001 Sentra, I run a 05 Nissan X-trail, we also tore apart the off shore garbage Nissan OEM filters. We then went to Baldwin, EXCELLENT filter choice too. We tore apart the Baldwins after OCI, amazing steel construction and substantial anti drain back material. Also the OEM Baldwin filter has a 14 bypass in their OEM replacement filter option. Most other filters for Nissan are about 8-11 bypass. We found that the Baldwin filter media did far more filtering than the Nissan OEM filter, better flow obviously. Driving conditions always constant, it seemed only the bypass was working on the Nissan OEM filter. Check your Purolater media after next OCI, should see a difference too.

My father is now off warrantee, he is running a huge B245, filter which is about 3 1/4" wide and 4 inches long, runs great, more flow. Nissan has very popular thread and ring diameter, Nissan gives a huge extra large housing on oil filter mount. There are huge options in running larger filters in Baldwin with same OEM bypass meeting spec. I run the Baldwin OEM replacement and works great. I can run some Baldwin #'s on extra large or factory OEM Baldwin filters if you like. Off warrantee I will go to one of the many larger version from Baldwin.

ANY FILTER other Fram or Denso has to be better than NISSAN OEM IMO. I dont know how it could get worse.

Cyprs

Yeah I believe the Nissan OEM filters are made by Denso. Made in China of course.

Is the smaller Mobil1 equivalent of the smaller thimble sized filter? The 6606 in ST and STP filters?

The 14610s are left over from the Civic and I also use them on my dad's Quest. I also have 14459/STP 2208/3593a filters and I plan to run those. Also have 2 24458s and might try to see if they will fit where the filter location is in the Max. Not much space between where the filter goes and the plastic splash shield on the Max.

I figured Nissan filters might be Denso, good to know. I know my Dad's Toyota OEM filters are Denso, he wont use them on his new Camry either after tearing one apart, he uses Baldwin there too, unaware he bought a full flat of Toyota filters on purchase of his Camry and wont give them away, his conscience wont allow him be responsible for that garbage being on someone else's Toyota engine.

Up here I paid a full $4.00 more for a Nissan OEM filter than a Balwin, $8.00 for a Baldwin, $12.00 for a Nissan OEM, I find Purolator about the same price as Balwin up here, is there a same % price differenct there from Purolator to Nissan OEM ctc?

Cyprs

Denso makes excellent filters, among the best, this doesn't look like one to me. I am in favor of the trend toward non metal or even no end caps. It is a waste of a lot of good steel. Things do not have to stay the same to perform just as well or better. Some of the new style cartridge filters have no end caps.

Originally Posted By: ctc
Yeah I believe the Nissan OEM filters are made by Denso. Made in China of course.
I doubt it.

Every new Denso filter I have ever seen comes from Japan or Thailand.

I think Nissan is typing their name on a mystery filter that is sold in certain quick oil change places.

The filters certainly are small for the engine they are fitted to, is this a case where the manufacturer is being cheap? I even see these things attached to the 5.6L V8 engine in the Titan truck.

Originally Posted By: Newtonville
Denso makes excellent filters, among the best, this doesn't look like one to me. I am in favor of the trend toward non metal or even no end caps. It is a waste of a lot of good steel. Things do not have to stay the same to perform just as well or better. Some of the new style cartridge filters have no end caps.

They (DENSO)already makes them with out end caps too.
filter-toyota-xv.jpg
filter-toyota-element.jpg

My guess is that the endcaps are there to hold inferior media or too flexible media from moving around or collapsing. Other than that, they don't do much.. Again, why do you think FRAM has never really had any problem associated with them.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
My guess is that the endcaps are there to hold inferior media or too flexible media from moving around or collapsing. Other than that, they don't do much.. Again, why do you think FRAM has never really had any problem associated with them.

Oh yes, I'm sure that's it. Of course that is why Cummins condemns the use of FRAM filters on their engines and why all of the well respected diesel filters have metal end-caps........

There are two Nissan oem filters (short & long) that fit on the VQ. You have the "short" one.
The "longer" one is aldo made in China. Part # is 15208 9E000.
I am not sure but it may have a more lengthy element (more fitration area) than the short one.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: peterdaniel

Oh yes, I'm sure that's it. Of course that is why Cummins condemns the use of FRAM filters on their engines and why all of the well respected diesel filters have metal end-caps........

who said anything about diesels in this thread? Diesels are a whole different ballgame.. Do you even HAVE a diesel? I do.. Most likely it has something to do with higher oil pressure.

This banter about Nissan and Totota OEM filers amazes me. Honda OEM oil filters also use what is referred to as "cardboard" end caps. I just looked up the sales figures for 2008, Toyota sold 8.97 million vehicles, American Honda sold 1.4 million vehicles, and Nissan sold almost 1 million vehicles. That totals over 11 million vehicles that came with oil filters that are "off shore garbage", and "any filter other Fram or Denso has to be better than NISSAN OEM IMO. I dont know how it could get worse."

What in the world could those rascally engineers at Toyota, Honda, and Nissan possibly know about oil filters that we here at BITOG don't know? Aren't we the real experts? No doubt those Japanese engineers have never cut open a filter, or they would know why over 11 million Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans vehicles suffered fatal engine damage due to "garbage" low bid OEM oil filters in 2008 alone. Balderdash! Horsefeathers! Who would have thunk it!

Lets be honest with ourselves. How many failed Toyota, Honda, and Nissan OEM filters have we seen? Why would any of these manufactures use a filter that would subject them to warranty claims for damaged motors? Have some failed? I'm sure that a very small percentage are defective. Nothing is 100% defect free.

Are there oil filters that seem to be constructed more durable than the OEM filters? Yes there are. Do they offer better protection for your motor? Who really knows? Is it worth loosing sleep over?

Use what allows you to sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back