Is it okay to mix PP with dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 12 qt of shell dino oil from costco. I saw PP on special and bought a few jars, but i still want to finish off those dino. I did not find info about mixing oil in pennzoil site. Has anyone tried mixing pp with dino? any problem?

thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
ZERO problems will occur.

I just did an oil change today with Synpower and some Pennzoil yellow for my mom's car.
your moms car!!!

It is okay to mix but winter is coming, you should use PP for winter and dino in summer, assume that both are the same viscosity and you bought enough PP for an OCI.

Should not be a problem, I do 2 qts PP 3 qts dino 10/30 to my car. Blackstone says OK to go to 5500, I do 5k for convience, but I'm in North Carolina, not in Canada.

No real difference in Canada. People need to remember that the world will not come to an end by mixing oils. In fact, according to every oil company label I've seen one oil is compatible with another oil.

Now that's not to say that if you use 80% cheapo oil and 20% PP (or any other high end oil) you will get all of the benefits of the good stuff. You will just get some of the benefits.

I just did a change with 50% Supertech Synthetic and 50% Castrol GTX to replace a 30%/70% summer mix since winter is coming.

I did a 1 quart mix with 1/2 maxlife dino and 1/2 PP + 2 quarts mobil clean 5000 + 2 quarts PP.

Next will be 2 quart PP and 3 quart mobil clean 5000 then i'm out of stock!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
lol... you should try it on your car!

Yeah, really now... He's giving Canadians a bad image.

What would Benton Fraser do
54.gif

mountiedog1.jpg

45.gif

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
That does not look like Brendan Frasier....sorry Gary, i thought you were talking about the guy from the 'Mummy'. Sorry.

There was the oddity there that Paul Gross played a Mountie named Benton Fraser ...and Brendan Frasier played Dudley Doright .. a Mountie.

Originally Posted By: itsme
Should not be a problem, I do 2 qts PP 3 qts dino 10/30 to my car. Blackstone says OK to go to 5500, I do 5k for convience, but I'm in North Carolina, not in Canada.

I do almost the same thing and will be doing this prior to winter(November)for my 6mo OCI. 2qts PP 5W30 2qts dino 5W20 1qt dino 5W30.

I'll be mixing oil big-time for the next OCI in my Dodge Dakota. I've got about 1 qt of Shell Rotella 30W, 2 qts of Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and 2 qts of Valvoline SynPower 5W-30. All extra on the shelf, so my oil change is "free" this time.
wink.gif

Also gotta M1-301 filter just sitting around that I'll use. I don't expect the engine to blow. But with only 171k miles on the odometer, if it does, I'll be sure to blame my unholy oil concoction.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i did 3 quarts penzoil dino with 1.5 quarts pennzoil dino for a 4K interval no issues in my corolla

For a total of 4.5 quarts Pennzoil dino! j/k, I assume you mean 1.5 quarts PP?

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
i did 3 quarts penzoil dino with 1.5 quarts pennzoil dino for a 4K interval no issues in my corolla

For a total of 4.5 quarts Pennzoil dino! j/k, I assume you mean 1.5 quarts PP?

yes, sorry i did not proof read before submitting was in a hurry.

3 quarts penn dino, 1.5 quarts Pen plat, uoa is on here

nice... i will try it and see the result :D What i am planning to do is 2.2 qrt PP with 2 qrt shell dino on Nissan VQ35DE (Quest) with OEM filter

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It is okay to mix but winter is coming, you should use PP for winter and dino in summer, assume that both are the same viscosity and you bought enough PP for an OCI.

I think this is the best answer for us Canadians. I will be using synthetic during the coldest months (November to March) and conventional from April to October.

To top off in the Buick, I used 1 qt. of Supertech dino and .5 qt of Formula Shell, mixed w/ 5W-30 PP. No issues I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back