What is better 10w30 or 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 1998 ranger with the 3.0L V-6, and I used 5w30 M1 the entire time I had it. I started using M1 after 800 miles on its factory fill. And I had the Ranger for 6 years and 120K miles never a problem. My BIL has it now and it has 160K miles and never has had a problem. We live in Michigan, 4 true seasons.

Thats a good point if it thins out to 30wt any ways when hot what makes 10w30 so needed in hot weather? Other than it is more stable. But compare it to Mobil 1 does it really make a difference. They are both really great stable oils.

Use the 10W30 and worry about something else. The 10W30 will protect your engine exceptionally well, particularly in Georgia, and it will NOT cause any premature wear or harm to your vehicle.

Life's too short to obsess over 5W30 vs. 10W30 (for too long).
smile.gif

[flame suit on!]

OK! Heres my argument. I also own a 2004 Mazda MPV that requires 5w20. It would be alright to use 10w30 since it is good and such a needed oil in the south? Why not make 10w20?

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Use the 10W30 and worry about something else. The 10W30 will protect your engine exceptionally well, particularly in Georgia, and it will NOT cause any premature wear or harm to your vehicle.

smile.gif

[flame suit on!]

Right you are Vic,let's not obsess here,I say go with 0w30..
wink.gif

How cold does it get in GA? Might be could use straight 30.
grin.gif
I'm going to be running one quart straight 30 with 5.5 qts 10w30 in my motorhome. Figure the straight 30 will thicken up the base oil a bit. A mix of maybe 1:3 straight 30 to 10w30 might even get you a 15w30!

Mixing is fun.
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

smile.gif

[flame suit on!]

I went round and round on this until [drum roll please] I decided that the temps here justified the more shear stable 10w-30 over 5w-30.

I also figured out that the cold cranking viscosity of many 10w-30 synthetics was substantially lower that 5w-30 dino, so all that angst was simply a bunch of "commotion, public disorder or uproar"

Best of luck.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by Timothy Ferguson:
Thats a good point if it thins out to 30wt any ways when hot what makes 10w30 so needed in hot weather? Other than it is more stable. But compare it to Mobil 1 does it really make a difference. They are both really great stable oils.

Some have noticed consumption issues with M1 5W-30 and find they have less consumption with M1 10W-30. Doesn't apply to every engine, though.

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by Big John:
I'm gonna throw this in FWIW..The bottom number is cold start up weight of the oil,once the engine starts and starts to warm the bottom number wether it be 0w,5w,10w or 20w means absolutely nothing..The lower the first number the better the cold oil flow.After starting the only number concerning your oil is the number "after" the w...So a 10w being better than a 5w in summer time is bogus.

Well then, I guess that's why a lot of manufacturers list 10w-30 past 100 F, and 5w-30 to only 60F
wink.gif
Bogus?

At operating temps are they both not 30 wt oils???? Yes there may be different additives to help with viscocity control or shear but if you used the same brand oil you are telling me that the 10w is better when the weather is hotter????Also,if some reccomend 5w to 60 f only what is 5w20 good to 45 f??????
confused.gif

Search the boards for 5w-30 vs. 10w-30 arguments. I'm not going to rehash it here. Run whatever the **** ya want! 5w20 is a whole new can of worms in and of itself.

Just be glad you're in Georgia. People in the Northeast and Canada are doing cold starts with 0w30s and 5w30s that are many times thicker (and, by argument, less shear stable at temp) than your cold starts with 5-or-10 w30. So mix up a mint julip and worry about something else.
smile.gif

We just got a 99 3.0 Ranger for my daughter, and I have been looking into this myself.

I think the owner's manual does say 5W30.

If you run through the oil grade selector at the new Mobil website it comes up 5W20.

It still has the oil the dealer installed, but eventually I will have to decide between 5W30 and 10W30. I don't know if it will ever get 5W20.

There was a special oil. Like everyone else, I'm sure if you run gasoline, not Ethanol, it's not a factor.

"So when cold I am essentially causing more engine damage using 10w30?"

If it was my truck, personally I'd just defer to the manual in this case (5w-30). But as far as temps go, a Google check quickly indicated that the Newnan, GA average low temp for January is 31F, not particularly cold. Chevron lists safe low end working temps of 0F and -13F for 10w-30 and 5w-30, respectively, with the Borderline Pumping Temps much lower than that. Either would do fine in winter there.
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/faq.shtm

But I think the old rule still applies: The broader the dino spread, the more polymers needed to get there, and polymers burn and shear. So the narrower the spread, the better (10w-30). (I thought I'd contradict myself just for fun.)

[ February 12, 2005, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: TC ]

VI improvers?
dunno.gif
Like what? More esters? That's bad?
confused.gif
Following that logic, 10w-30 should be more shear stable than 0w-30.
tongue.gif

An emerging thought on some other posts seems to be to pick the least viscous oil (for cold temp protection) that exhibits a high HT/HS (for hot temp protection). I'm only guessing that any 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 with an HT/HS greater than, say, 3.2 (3.3. or above), would be dandy. Don't think there is any 0W-20 with an HT/HS of even 3.0.

A family member has this engine in his Ranger and the oil filler cap says 5W-20, but that was a 2002 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back