Would you install these spark plugs? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a bunch of parts from rockauto for my upcoming t-belt job and picked up a set (6) of plugs for my sister's 4runner. 2 of the plugs look a little tweaked. These came from different packs of 4 plugs, too. No evidence of shipping/package damage, either. (email sent to manufacturer's customer service w/ links to pics)

pic 1 is a "normal" plug
pics 2-3 is "tweaked" plug A
pics 4-5 is "tweaked" plug B

2612002024_69aa9e1577.jpg

2612002216_165ebbdf47.jpg
2611168109_5afd6ec139.jpg

2611168273_fe3cfc553f.jpg
2611168475_0f903107e0.jpg

Looks like a quality controll issue. I also see a less than ideal threads on some of the plugs. I see no reason not to use them though. What manufacture?

Denso U-groove plugs - OEM part for the Toyota 3.4L V6 5VZFE.

Looks like it calls for a multi-ground plug. Just wondered if these passed QC. Maybe as long as the gap is correct, any "angle" wouldn't matter?

Plugs with 60,000 miles look like junk a lot of times, especially the old school platinums with the platinum disks welded to the ground electrode - ie, they're usually missing.

I'd have no problem using those plugs. Maybe grab a pair of needle nose and straighten out the ground electrodes as best you can, but I doubt that would even make a difference.

I used to fuss with this kind of stuff to the point of my blood pressure's detriment. Let it go IMO!

Last edited:
Ask the spark if that'll be a problem......seriously I see no issues whatsoever. If the gap is correct the spark will happily jump.

The drivers side take a hair longer than the passengers side when it comes to sparkplug swap.

off topic but whats on your list for the tbelt job?? Change the waterpump while your in there. Another consideration is to change the larg center idler pulley w/ coolant adapter.

It looks like less-than-wonderful manufacturing. Like the previous posters said, tweak the electrodes as needed and put them in. As long as they spark, you should be fine.

Response from Denso so far:
Quote:
Good Afternoon.
We received your e-mail/photos concerning the spark plugs.

We have a question concerning the photos.

QUESTION: What are you showing us in the photos, is there physical damage on the ground electrodes is ? Or is there something wrong with the threads??

Please send an e-mail back and let me know.

Well, I'll throw them in there w/o concern and see how the old plugs look. Won't be an update right away, though. My car's TB job comes first and I won't get to that until later next week.

Originally Posted By: alanu

off topic but whats on your list for the tbelt job??

The tbelt is going in my Mazda MX6 - I wouldn't touch a family member's car with such an important job; especially on my first TB attempt. I'm doing everything, including WP, idler, TB tensioner, etc...

Maybe they're supposed to be offset just a bit, so that you get a double-spark effect for more complete combustion. That extra millimeter the electricity has to go to reach the tip of the taller ground gives a longer/delayed spark as compared to the shorter lead, thus ensuring complete burn, better fuel economy, and winning lottery ticket.

You're set.

I remember installing a set of plugs like that in my dad's Lexus ES300.

I paid no attention to the individual gaps, and simply installed the new plugs. The car ran great.

Usually the spark occurs at the shortest gap (least resistance). When that gap gets eroded then the second gap becomes the path of least resistance.

whiz bang new technology electrical systes have so much juice in them, one spark can't hold it all. leaks over to the other one.

According to some 4runner forums the 2 electrodes will prevent misfire after many miles of service. Those plugs are OE but on many 4runners they were equippped with 3 NGK's and 3 Denso's straight from the factory.

Rounded edges and misalignment.
Looks inferior to me.
If you bend them, they won't be right, either.
But maybe the 'bad' ones are the good ones! They only fire one leg at a time, anyways.

2nd response from Denso:

Quote:
I asked Mr. Hosotani DNJP QA dept. Manager.

His answer is OK to use this plug because this shape is not abnormal and
the important factor is only gap.
Based on the pictures he think it is normal gap.
In Japan market also some customers ask him the same type question and he
did same answer.
And he had no experience that the customer back to the complaints.

I'll throw them in w/o worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back