Scooter Talk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may buy a Scooter real soon.

Here in Mn, a Scooter at 50cc don't need a license & can park free & in bike racks.

Which are the best and worst Scooters?

Which ones have which MPG ratings?

Other helpful info?

Thanks...

I'd look into getting a scooter, but its not worth it in Ottawa -AFAIK, you pay the same as everyone else for parking, roads are not very 'friendly' to them, and anything over 50cc, you have to have a full motorcycle license to drive. There was an article on how 'scooter unfriendly' Ottawa is....oh well...

If it were me, I'd get a Honda......

I had to pay a $5 'wheelage tax' to get tabs fo my daughters 50cc scooter, but no tax for the other cycles. I think the law is getting changed this year, but c'mon, wheelage tax for a machine that won't go over 40mph? Sheese...

I'd get a honda or a yamaha. The chinese stuff is false economy. It looks alot like a scooter, and may run like one for a short period of time. However, at some point early in its life it will suffer an inevitable massive failure and you'll realize that the reason the price was so good was because you bought a machine that was a counterfeit of a scooter. And now it's worthless.

I agree with Jim 5. I am looking for a scooter right now, and there are some great deals to be had. On Craig's list I am finding two great models, the Yamaha Vino in 50cc and 125cc, along with models like the Honda Ruckus, and others for quite a savings off new.

Personally, I would stick with a Honda or Yamaha scooter as they have the scooter thing down. My edge would go to the Honda as my wife's grandpa has 2 Honda sprees and 2 Honda Helix scooters and they have been running for many years with the whole family riding them at events and such.

If I were you, I would really spend the extra money for a 125cc or up scooter. I've seen people around town with the 50cc and if you are at all a bigger guy, the motor on those seems to really strain to get up to speed. I know you have to get a motorcycle license, but it would be worth it long term.

Or, go with a motorcycle like a Honda Rebel, Kawasaki Eliminator 125, or the Suzuki's 200cc model. I know the Rebel gets about 66mpg.

I want a scooter, but now I am leaning toward a motorcycle. A good all around town and sometimes highway setup would be a 250cc smaller cycle.

The articles I read about Chinese scooters is that they can last awhile, but when something breaks it can be almost impossible to get replacement parts for them. The article said that the Kymco brand, (I think it is made in Taiwan) is a good bet as they make a large amount of scooters.

Last edited:
Not bad! I was thinking about a Rebel as an alternative. We can only run these things 6-7 months up here though...

I wouldn't want to try and commute on a motorized bike. Some soccer mom driving a Volvo would run you over and squish, you're a goner.
15.gif

Check out TAG-Twist and Go magazine on line. Also has a comparison site called "What Scooter". It's British based, but they cover LOTS of brands, and I believe the relatively few scooters sold in the USA are all covered. Haven't checked the site in a while.

I would think in most metro areas you'd be risking your life riding something in traffic that can only achieve 40mph. People in Dallas would constantly be bearing down on you. I'd look into a Ninja, Rebel, or something in the 125 - 250 range so you stand a chance of keeping up, or getting out of the way.

Don't believe the the scare tactics of riding a 50cc scooter on the road. Most cities have plenty of room on the side for a scooter. I've ridden my bicycle on the streets of major cities with no problems with traffic. I would do so with a scooter if I had one too.

Scooters are a whole "culture"

Check into:

Genuine Scooter : http://www.genuinescooters.com/
These are Indian made from the vespa molds.

Vespa's are cool, but pricy

Kymco is a Korean quality manufacture: http://www.strmotorsports.com/showroom/index.html
They will come with a 1 year warranty I believe.

Aprilia and Piaggio are italian scooters.

All the Japanese brands market a scooter so any honkawayamazuki dealer will be able to show you some 50 cc scooters.

Good luck in your search, there are a ton of "scooter forums".

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I guess the same could be said for a scooter. Actually I feel safer on a bike, more maneuverable.

Don't know about maneuverable. I think a little 50cc scooter could zip in and out of traffic much better than a real bike. Plus since you are very small you can lane split ahead at stop lights without getting much police attention. Do it on a real bike and people get [censored].

My biggest thing about owning a scooter is the price. A quality one is several thousand dollars. While yes it can get 100 mpg, a small cc motorcycle can get 60+ and do a whole lot more than a scooter.

I would love to get a scooter, just can't justify it.

lane splitting is legal in only one state in the entire usa currently -> California.

in all 49 other states it is illegal.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
lane splitting is legal in only one state in the entire usa currently -> California.

in all 49 other states it is illegal.
Umm if the speed limit is 50 and your scooter only does 40 looks like you will be sharing a lane.

Like I said, with a motorcycle you probably can't get away with it, with a scooter, they probably need to stay on the side of the road (like a bicycle) so I doubt anyone would say much if you went to the front of the line.

PS--->Speeding is illegal in all 50 states, I bet you do that don't ya?

I pass a woman that insists on commuting on her scooter everyday. 10 miles of two lane road, bicycle lanes on the shoulder on both sides, speed limit 55 but everyone does 60. she constantly weaves in and out of traffic because her scooter only does about 45. very dangerous. technically she can't ride in the bike lane because it is for non-motorized vehicles only and she can't ride in traffic because she can't muster enough speed.

A scooter would be great for city surface streets though.

ever heard the joke about fat chicks and scooters? fun to ride but don't lets your friends see you on them!

Last edited:
I love splitting lanes and bypassing traffic. But there is the one thing California did wrong about bikes, the only motorized vehicles allowed in the bicycle lane and riding shoulders are mopeds, real mopeds that means 50cc AND pedals. I ride with the Myron's Mopeds group here in the Fullerton area, so I'm well versed in the small engined vehicle category and laws. Unfortunately 50cc machines without pedals are classified as motorcycles, like honda metropolitans or chinese junk 50cc scooter clones. Those are actually as slow or in many cases slower than mopeds but, without pedals it's a motorcycle that must be ridden on the road in a lane. And you must have a full M1 license. Ridiculous I think. We should be like many other states and classify all sub 50cc machines as mopeds. And the scooter fat chick thing doesn't apply if you ride a real classic scooter, cause then you're retro cool, just make sure you always wear your slim cut Italian suit while on it so you can be a hip and cool mod.

Originally Posted By: msparks

Kymco is a Korean quality manufacture: http://www.strmotorsports.com/showroom/index.html
They will come with a 1 year warranty I believe.

Kymco is made by Kwang Yang Industry, Taiwan.
Link

Also, believe it or not, Yamaha Zuma and Vino is made in China, even on the tag said it made by Yamaha Taiwan.
Search for LPR
So I don't know how junky the Chinese scooter can be???

Also check this out

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back