(Poll) Adding oil to oil filter when changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally on my own vehicle it makes an audible difference. If I change the oil and install a dry empty filter, then the first start up the engine makes a horrible clatter for about 3 seconds- I could imagine that's not good for the engine since it's not supposed to make that sound...that sound is metal making contact with metal. If I put oil in the filter, even only half full, it doesn't make any noise at all. Why put the engine at risk? I don't have a couple thousand dollars to gamble with, so I'll fill the filter, just common sense.

Originally Posted By: gto78
Personally on my own vehicle it makes an audible difference.

Yes, in reality it makes a big difference on some. Others little or no difference is heard. Regardless, if one's going do his/her own maintenance why not do it if at all possible.

That has been my way for over 35 years and I'm sticking to it.

But to each their own.

Some times that can be avoided by changing the filter and the oil separately. That is, you drain and fill the sump and THEN drop the filter (or the other way around). Some either Land Cruisers or Land Rovers (big difference, I know) have this recommendation.

I fill the filter. I like knowing there is instant flow. But most of all, after refill, when the dipstick reads at the full mark, I know its full. No need to crank the engine, let the oil settle back to the pan, top off, and recheck. To me, filling the filter saves time.

The filter on my 2001 Saturn SL2 installs horizontally and it's already a messy job, I install mine dry. I have in all my cars, no problem noticed. But, I do know the sound associated with not filling a duplex strainer on a steam turbine lube oil system prior to putting the strainer in service!

You can at least partially prefill horizontal filters. Pour some oil into the filter and just wait a few seconds. As the oil gets into the media area of the filter the level drops and you can put some more oil in the filter.

Whether its needed or not is irrelevant. I will always prefill my filters, even my upside filter. To avoid spillage on horizontal or upside filter locations, don't overfill it.
The media is a sponge and should have no problem soaking up 1/3-1/2 capacity. And, if you have a vertical no spill filter location, there is no reason not to fill it 3/4's or more.
This will also help you remember to lube the gasket which should prevent future removal issues. And, oiling the gasket might just remind you to recheck the filter mount or old filter to prevent the DIY common double gasket syndrome.

Since cold oil will cause the filter BPV to leak more, even though my bottled oil is unfiltered, I don't worry about the negatives of running new unfiltered oil through the engine, since your filling the filter through its output and not input.

I personally hate the start up rattle of a dry filter. That sound of death, even for only 3 seconds, is annoying.

I do NOT prefil the filter! Every car/ truck filter manufacturer owner/ repair manual since day one of the spin on oil filter always stated to just change out the filter and add the required amount of oil to the crankcase.
By pouring oil into the outflowing hole of the filter, you may be adding any small/ not so small particals of metals,dirt, ect. that may be in the new oil, directly into the Clean side[ after filtration or out side of the filter] and they go directly to bearings!. There is plenty of residual oil in the sytem for start up. Forget the idiot light, it's for idiots, and the ever-so-slight delay of presure is of no harmful concern!

Originally Posted By: Alfonzy
I do NOT prefil the filter! Every car/ truck filter manufacturer owner/ repair manual since day one of the spin on oil filter always stated to just change out the filter and add the required amount of oil to the crankcase.
By pouring oil into the outflowing hole of the filter, you may be adding any small/ not so small particals of metals,dirt, ect. that may be in the new oil, directly into the Clean side[ after filtration or out side of the filter] and they go directly to bearings!. There is plenty of residual oil in the sytem for start up. Forget the idiot light, it's for idiots, and the ever-so-slight delay of presure is of no harmful concern!

So your not concerned about direct metal to metal wear during initial engine start up, when the engine instantly tries to rev to 2000 rpm for several seconds with zero oil pressure- but you are worried that the brand new unused oil may have a particle of dust in it that will destroy the engine....

If there were any dirt or metal it would be from the filter not the oil. I rub any shavings off I can find then fill it with some oil and install it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I wonder if Quick Oil changes places add oil to filters. I bet not.

I know some do but usually only on turbo charged vehicles - or i guess if the customer asked they might oblige then as well...

I do pre-fill the filter if I can, but otherwise it's a dry start. The oil pressure usually builds in only 2~3 seconds, so I doubt any damage occurs on cars where the filter is dry upon startup.

I used to open the box, pour oil in and let it saturate while I was draining the oil. But now I dont even do that unless I think about it.

I prefill the filter and let it soak a bit before I install, not anal about it, but just got in the habit. Most of mine are horizontal so I can't fill it up.

When I first started changing oil many moons ago, I didn't, but it seems like a good idea to me.
21.gif

I pre-filled the filter on my moms car for this last oil change and it did not prevent the startup rattle that happens for about 3 seconds after every oil change.

I pre-fill my filters too. I fill the filter before I start the OC, let it soak, then add a little more oil to it before I install it.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back