(Poll) Adding oil to oil filter when changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always add oil to the new filter when changing it so the oil circulates faster. Do you think it is really needed or will the engine be fine for that brief period of time that it takes for the filter to fill?

The cars I've worked on regularly have used fairly horizontal filter orientations, letting any oil in the filter spill out. Needless to say, I do not pre-fill mine.

I put oil in my filter. It seems to be in a fairly vertical position, so as long as i don't fill it too high, it doesn't seem to spill.

If the filter goes on with the threads up, I'll fill it with oil. Makes lubricating the gasket easy. If its horizontal or a cartridge like my Tundra, I don't fill it with oil.

I don't think it matters either way, to be honest...

later,
b

i fill my oil filter with oil mostly because it holds two quarts of oil, and i always fill my fuel filter with fuel when i change it, its a diesel and i don't want to mess with having to bleed the air out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=6&Number=344873
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=6&Number=332321
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=6&Number=340559

12.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I wonder if Quick Oil changes places add oil to filters. I bet not.

Wal-Mart TLE policy is to pre-fill the oil filter if the vehicle has a turbo. I know at the location I work at this is done. YMMV.

vertical, yes
horizontal, yes

Cars with horizontal orientated filters can knock on dry start too, and it doesn't work with ecore filters because most of the prefill runs out when the filter is tipped.

Last edited:
I do it in most cars I maintain. The only one I don't do it in is the Kia because the oil filter is the toughest to get to, and I'll probably end up spilling it. Edit: The Malibu is pretty tough too, made a lot tougher than it needs to be by a random small metal rod that gets in the way, I don't even know what purpose it serves. Appears to just be a little solid piece of metal that you can move slightly, but not very far. Maybe it's removable?

Last edited:
I had always read, you should fill at least half the filter with oil, if not all, as to eliminate possible drystart on the filter... air from the enigne momentarily pressureizing in the filter....not a good thing for the oil pump...so ive read.

I never do it. Never noticed a difference in time to pressure on the vehicle I maintain with a real oil pressure gauge. If you think about it, especially if you're the type that lets the oil drain for hours, the main oil galley from the pump to the filter is gonna be dry, especially in systems where the filter is above the pump. If you could actually measure it, maybe you get oil to the system .001 seconds faster.

Like AJ said, best thing is to prime the system somehow, like the system Amsoil has that uses compressed air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back