Which Schaeffer gear oil for my Dodge's diffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time I get engine oil from my local Schaeffer dealer, I'd like to pick up some of their gear oil for my front and rear diffs. There are so many different gear oils made by Schaeffer, I'm not sure which one is right for me. I have a limited slip and don't tow much now, but I would like to get a pop up camper next year, and I think I'm gonna give sled pulling a shot this summer.

PM "salesrep" on this board. He sells Schaeffer's and is quite helpful and knowledgeable. Look under "sponsors."

"Next time I get engine oil from my local Schaeffer dealer....."

Better yet, instead of wasting salerep's time since you are going to purchase from your local dealer, why not ask that dealer? I'm willing to bet salesrep will still answer your question(s), regardless of whom you purchase from.

Been a while since I had a Dodge and was on the Dodge forums but will give it a whirl.

The front was probably 80W-90 from the factory but I would say go 75W-90. The rear diff should be 75W-90. Check the owner's manual to see what weights they call for. I don't recall anything but 75W-90 in the rear for the 2500's but maybe? Perhaps you could try 75W-110. I would go 75W-90 all around myself unless the manual specified some other weight.

If you meant Schaeffers has many different offerings of gear lube( ie; not weight related but rather styles/lines of fluids ) then no clue. Don't know anything about them really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i don't have a owners manual to the truck, thats why I was asking. I have Royal Purple 75w-90 in it now, but I was wondering if I should go with something slightly heavier since I'd like to give sled pulling a try.
I can check with my local dealer, but they are a tractor and farm implement shop, and figured they wouldn't have a real good idea what I should be using in my dodge.

I would use the #740 in the rear diff and the #741 in the front diff.

#740 Synthetic Lube -- 80W-140
MT-1, GL-5 Mil-L-2105E, Eaton approved differential lub

#741 Synthetic Lube -- 75W-90
Same as #740M in 75W-90

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Well, i don't have a owners manual to the truck, thats why I was asking. I have Royal Purple 75w-90 in it now, but I was wondering if I should go with something slightly heavier since I'd like to give sled pulling a try.
I can check with my local dealer, but they are a tractor and farm implement shop, and figured they wouldn't have a real good idea what I should be using in my dodge.

OK. A lot of times people ask either because they don't want to take the time to look in it or don't know the info is there. I also wasn't 100% sure if you were asking for weight recommendations or if it was for a particular Schaeffers line/offering.

Try visiting dodgetalk.com or dodgetruckworld.com and ask in the forums there. Someonoe with a manual can look it up for you. Also, drop in at E-Bay and enter 2002 Dodge Ram owners manual in the search bar. There are a ton of them up for sale cheap. It is one manual for 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton plus 4X2 and 4X4.

This may be your best bet as it has all the supplements and everything and even comes in the factory sleeve. Ends March 12th so you have time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-DODG...sspagenameZWDVW

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use #267 in the front & rear difs of my 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. If you want "the Best" gear oil on the market use #167. The Schaeffer gear oils #740 & #741 DON'T have Moly. You can only buy #167 in 5 gallon (38#) pails while #267 comes in quarts. Both #267 & #167 are GL5 rated so either will work in the rear differential...

BoiseRob

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
I use #267 in the front & rear difs of my 2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. If you want "the Best" gear oil on the market use #167. The Schaeffer gear oils #740 & #741 DON'T have Moly. You can only buy #167 in 5 gallon (38#) pails while #267 comes in quarts. Both #267 & #167 are GL5 rated so either will work in the rear differential...

BoiseRob

IMHO you don't need moly in gear oil, in an automotive application. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
....You can only buy #167 in 5 gallon (38#) pails while #267 comes in quarts...

BoiseRob

Someone on a GM truck forum stated #267 was no longer available in quarts, so I emailed SALESREP (Dec '07) and he confirmed that #267 is only sold in 5 gallon pails now

I have a 99 2500 and for my truck it calls for
trans. 75W-85
rear 90
front 80W-90

The rear is a Dana 80, front is a Dana 70 I believe. I have a 5 speed and I think the synchronizers are different so you may need a different trans. fluid.

"IMHO you don't need moly in gear oil, in an automotive application. Just my opinion."

Wow Johnny, I would think you would to keep the gear teeth from galling each other ... why do you say that?

Well I'm 61 years old and I have never lost a transmission or differential because my gear oil did not have moly in it. Now maybe if we were talking about a gearbox in some large industrial application I might consider it.

Johnny, understandable ... but you have heard rear-ends that have worn to the point where they are howling, haven't you? I know I have. What exactly is wearing in those instances?

(It's been two decades since I've had a punkin' torn apart.)

I'm sure some applications can get along fine without moly ... but I'll take my gear oil loaded with it ...and with my change intervals, I doubt oxidation will be much of a factor. :)

Oh yes, I've heard that sound before, but my experience has been that was because some neglected things. Seal leaks and no one checks the level, differential gets under water and not one checks, or someone goes out and abuses it, like drag racing, etc. Like I said, I've never had a problem with gears. What type of gear oil have you been using for two decades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back