Which grease for inverted struts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2004 STi struts that I am taking apart and repacking with grease to help fix a notorious clunking issue that they have.

I'm not sure what grease I should go with. I bought Mobil 1 Synthetic Red grease but it does not contain any moly. Should I gow tih something like Valvoline's DuraBlend or something else with moly? Any recommendations for a grease for relubing struts?

Are these the strut bearings on top? Contrary to what you may intuitively think, try going with something lighter than chassis lube, something closer to NLGI 1.5. For micromotion vibratory applications you want a lighter grease that will reflow under the rollers and not remain extruded to the side. Kluberplex BEM 34-132 fits this scenario.

I'm not sure what you mean by strut bearings. I took the insert out of the strut housing. I was planning on cleaning out the current yellow grease in the housing near the top of the body where the insert came out of. It is nearest the dust seal.

I thought all red grease comtained moly?

Where does the clunking noise come from?
Is the insert moving around in the housing?

Was there a little bit of grease on the gland nut at the top of the housing?
I'd use some anti-sieze on those threads.

oldtimers used to put oil into the strut housing to help the strut cool. some guys would use coolant.

Out of curiousity...
Who makes the STi struts? Tokico? KYB (Kayaba)?
Do they interchange with WRX struts?
And does anyone make aftermarket strut inserts?
My GTX is getting excited...

Mobil 1 synthetic grease does not contain any moly.

Clunking noise is usually due to stiction when the old grease in the insert housing becomes useless. There are more in depth explanations finding faults in the inherent design of the dampers in a thread on NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club).

The insert does move in the housing.

The insert housing has a bushing towards the top and bottom and in between these there are reservoirs for the grease.

KYB makes the stock STi struts.

Only the 04 STi struts can be used on 04+ WRX's. I have a 05 WRX.

Koni makes aftermarket strut inserts, however, I think you have to use a WRX strut housing with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back