Valvoline Extreme Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ye gods! I'm think I'm in love! It meets API SL, so I could use it in my Audi. The only caveat appears to be sulfated ash, which exceeds the allowed limit for my engine by 0.1%.

Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt
Viscosity Index
CCS Viscosity @ - 20 C, cP
Borderline Pumping Viscosity @ - 25 C, cP
High Temp. High Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, cP
Pour Point, deg. C
Sulfated Ash, %
Total Base Number (D-2896)
Foam / Aeration Tests
Pass

It's got an API SL rating, so it's suitable for gas engines.

Using oil designed only for diesel engines in a gas engine would be a bad idea, mostly due to unnecessarily high sulfated ash content. A mixed fleet oil may be of advantage in a gas engine, depending on the particular circumstances. Mixed fleet oils work well in my gasser.

1.6% ash, wow! CAT states NOT to use ANY oil with 1.6% ash in any of their engines - very high tendency to form deposits.

I have run the PBE before in the winter and was satisfied with it. I would not run it at that price point though. For that price you could probably get Delvac 1, which is about the highest priced syn diesel 5W40 large company oil, and it has a 1.35% sulfated ash rating. With some searching you should be able to get the PBE for around $20-$22 a gallon, I would not run it for a price much more than that. Cummins places usually have it. A lot of the sulfated ash comes from the detergent package I believe, it is very hard to find a low SAPS oil with higher TBN than 10.
In fact, here http://www.scheiddiesel.com/Valvoline.htm
they have it for 21.94 a gal.

Towel: Just keep on using the Rotella 5W-40. It's a dang good oil for the price. Plus it's getting easier to find. It has many UOA to back it up.

That's the plan.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back