Rotella vs. Rimula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Shell is marketing two different oils that re low sulfer engine approved.....best I can read is that the Rimula is a higher performance oil than Rotella for Fleet vehicles...... does anyone know for sure??? seems the Rimula is a better quality oil than the Rotella is according to the label

There are many Rotella and Rimula branded oils on the market...The SHPD/UHPD Shell oils in Europe are branded as Rimula(6-7 different multigrade ones)...the only Rotella one can find is probably single-viscosity. There are also some variations in the formula depending on the country of origin,e.g. Shell Rimula Super 15w-40(sold in USA) is different(slightly) from Shell Rimula Super 15w-40 (made in UK)....
Some sites with TDS/MSDS to compare:
http://www.epc.shell.com/ (this searck is country-sensitive,oddly enough N.America is not present)

http://www.shell.com/home/page/us-en/she...s_products.html
...same thing with Mobil Delvac HDEO products

Originally Posted By: 8088
Seems like Shell is marketing two different oils that re low sulfer engine approved.....best I can read is that the Rimula is a higher performance oil than Rotella for Fleet vehicles...... does anyone know for sure??? seems the Rimula is a better quality oil than the Rotella is according to the label

Don't know about currently, but Shell used to market Rimula here in the US to mainly off-road users. Construction, coal mining, etc. Rotella has been marketed to the heavy duty truck market.

This probably isn't true anymore, but in the 80's, early 90's, Rotella had over half the heavy duty oil market all to themselves! All their competitors combined didn't sell as much oil as Rotella...

shocked2.gif

SO what is the main difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

Last edited:
No real performance difference. Rotella is targeted to the owner-operator while Rimula is targeted toward fleets. The price of Rotella is burdened with advertising costs.

Very imaginative! LMAO
Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
Rimula - what an unfortunate name... it sounds like what you'd call a rectal vampire.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
SO what is the main difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

May be wrong - if so I'll stand corrected - but I don't think Shell markets Rimula in the US anymore. I Googled, and the only links I came up with for Rimula are outside the USA.

Apparently in some other markets, there is more than one Rimula product: Rimula Ultra, Rimula X, and Rimula D.

Sounds like some questions are in order for the Shell Answer Man!

smile.gif

When I joined this site, I'd never heard of Rotella.

Everything was Rimula...."Rimula X is the oil that protects".

Yep, loads of Rimula products down here...no Rotella.

Okay, when I was young someone once told me Shell names oils after actual shells...you know the ones you find washed up on beaches...searched and looked and looked again...everywhere...no mention of an actual shell actually being called and/or named a Rotella...Anybody else ever hear this?

Many years ago when I worked for a Shell distributor we were told Shell oil products were named for sea shells, as a play on the company name. Where they've found these names of supposed shells I don't know!

crazy2.gif

Same here, lots of Rimula but only one Rotella:
Rimula Signia 10W-40
Rimula Ultra 5W-30 10W-40
Rimula Super FE 10W-40
Rimula Super 15W-40
Rimula X 15W-40 10W-30
Rimula NX 15W-40

Rotella DD+ 40 40 (for Detroit 2-stroke diesels)

I know of one Rotella and that is from Rotella umbilicata from the mollusk family Vitrinellidae. Although I think there may be more than one Rotella species.

Rimula I'm pretty sure is used for more than one species. The only Rimula I am familiar with is Rimula californiana from the family fissurellidae or something to that extent.

Both are mollusks with shells and its funny since information for both is hard to find unless you are very familiar with marinebio.

gomes512, thanks for that. Filled a slot in the memory banks that has been begging to be filled since I joined BITOG.

gomes512, thanks for that. Filled a slot in the memory banks that has been begging to be filled since I joined BITOG.

Rotella is a North American brand. Rimula is their big brand from Europe. Shell US introduced a cheaper, lower performance (yet decent) CI-4 Plus alternative to Rotella here in the US a few years ago. The performance difference between the two was easily seen comparing CI-4 Plus formulations (though Shell is on it's 3rd CI-4 Plus Rimula formulation since introducing it a few years ago - why they used 3 different formulas all meeting the same CI-4 Plus spec is puzzling to me). The performance difference between CJ-4 cheaper (fleet grade) and premium products is not easily determined by looking at a PDS like it was for CI-4 Plus oils; it's practically camouflaged now leaving marketing and, if you can find it, more detailed test data to highlight differences. The are indeed significant differences when you look at the data.

We use Rimula 15w-40 in everything from 4 cylinder propane forklifts to class 8 tractors that are Cummins and Volvo powered. It's a true "All Fleet" motor oil.

The following quote from http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=56263 explains the differences quite well:

Quote:

Shell Rotella T with Triple Protection, the company’s premium oil, is “targeted toward the owner-operator and small fleet because they keep their trucks longer, and therefore want the extra protection,” says Dan Arcy, technical marketing manager. He points out that extra protection could come in handy “if you decide to hold onto your trucks a little longer waiting to see what happens with the 2007 vehicles.”

Shell’s Rimula Super also meets or exceeds CJ-4 specs, Arcy says. “But it doesn’t exceed the specs to the extent that Rotella does. Why not get something that exceeds the specifications?” Rotella T with Triple Protection scored 1,400 out of 1,400 possible points on the Cummins ISM injector screw test. The parts looked smooth, rather than slightly scored after the demanding test, conducted under adverse soot and heat conditions. The injector screw is one of the toughest parts in the engine to lubricate because it runs dry under certain conditions. Such protection could keep you from having to replace injection train parts as your engine passes the 500,000- or 600,000-mile mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back