youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see so many people on youtube who are self employed and they take time out of their day to make a video. Kind of makes you wonder they must get paid a lot per video to stop working and make a video of whatever, especially with their workers on the payroll.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I see so many people on youtube who are self employed and they take time out of their day to make a video. Kind of makes you wonder they must get paid a lot per video to stop working and make a video of whatever, especially with their workers on the payroll.

Not really. There are a couple different ways to get paid from Youtube; with regular skippable/nonskippable ads Google takes 45% or so of the ad revenue. The balance goes to the video creator. Payment structures are based on a cost per thousand model (if I remember correctly).

The indirect advertising done by someone is probably more valuable than the direct compensation. If an auto parts supplier creates how-to videos, it can drive additional business to their website. That's where the real revenue comes from. The actual revenue from the Youtube video is fairly minor unless you're into multiple millions of views.

I always wonder why people make videos explaining the simplest of things.

I recently was looking to purchase a new tire inflator with a gauge, so I did like I always do and looked for amazon and youtube reviews. I came across a couple of videos people made explaining how to put air in a tire. People need instruction of how to put air in a tire? I thought that was just one of those things that you can just kind of figure out by looking at it. (By the way, they did it wrong by inflating to max psi listed on tire wall, not vehicle recommended pressure)

I love 'em. Saves me lots of time, for the most part.

I recently needed to replace the headlamp bulb on my wife's Chrysler 200. But there is no room whatsoever to do it from above. Called it up on YT and realized that I needed to go through the liner in the fender. Once you know how, it's a piece of cake. A lot of people would end up going to the dealer and paying $$$.

You wouldn't think that people would need to be shown how to inflate a tire, but then I think of my own kids and say, "Keep em coming!"

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
People need instruction of how to put air in a tire?

Beyond turning the key and opening the radio I would say yes. People drive with absolutely no clue or or care about anything in their car. To some people an air pressure gauge may as well be a Verus scanner.

I'm among the VERY GRATEFUL for videos.

What puzzles me is a video for something simple, say, inflating a tire, and the videographer , instead of making a 20 or 30 second video, makes it 5:30 with all of it being "Duhhhs" and "Aahhhhs".

Just like their parents photo albums...many of today's videographers don't know how to edit.

I've got a number of videos up on YouTube. For me, it's not about money, it's about giving back to the Internet.

The Internet has entertained me by providing me with music I enjoy, educated me, and given me the confidence & ability to tackle projects I otherwise would not have attempted. I assume it's the same for others, even if it's something as simple as a lesson on checking the air pressure in their tires.

So, if I can feed back into the Internet some education and pass along some tips & tricks I have learned, I do so.

I've got one on refilling single use camp gas bottles (with the correct ratios of isobutane and propane to be an R134 replacement)...pretty rubbish video, got a not like, but I'm used to not likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back