Your top five favorite engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Including: Rods too short for the stroke giving a sub-optimal rod angle. Rod and main bearings a little on the small side for the power. I surely agree. You can also add poor pistion/rings too on some of them too.

I'm sure a few people will not like this: The above is part of the reason why the chevy 350 was not a good truck motor.

oh sure it was fine in a 1/2 ton grocery truck.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: 55
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Saturn LK0 1.9L SOHC - MPG and you cant kill it.

Until the head cracked...

Have heard of that happening. No one I knew including myself with the SOHC ever had a problem with theirs. My old SL1 is still running well for my friend who bought it. Will be close to 200,000 miles soon.

One complaint was that the old Saturns burned a significant amount of oil.

My wife had a '97 Saturn SC2 when we married. We sold the car to a family friend with only 80k miles on it, but it was already burning oil at that time. Their son (16 years old) blew it up about a year later, ran it dry of oil. Sad, as it was a nice car otherwise.

I loved the fuel efficiency of our SL1; but it was one of many that cracked it's head; and burned an absurd amount of oil. It finally died at around 207k miles.

If it wasn't for those two "minor inconveniences" it would have been a great engine/car!

Toyota 22re

Honda B-series and F-series

I have seen 22re's and B-series with upwards of 300k still running pretty good and taking abuse!

1. Ford Modular (2v, 3v & 4v) Great all around package
2. All ford 385 & FE Big Blocks. Just Awsome
3. GM LS1 & LS2. Respond well to mods
4. New 5.0L. modern powerhouse
5. GM 3.8L, Smooth, efficent, last forever

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Chev. 2.8 V-6 - I love the metallic growl these engines all seem to have.

I thought I was the only one who loved that sound. Crazy isn't it when a Celebrity takes off and sounds so good!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Wow, this thread took off, huh?!

I'm gonna add one, since it's my post:

GM 350 TPI. Gobs of torque.

Also know as the L98. Yep, nice engine.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Win

edit: we're talking IC car engines right? Because the Packard Merlin or a Wright R3350 would be on the list otherwise.

If we're talking any engine, the Pratt & Whitney R2800 is the best engine EVAR.

Of the aero engines mentioned in the two posts quoted above, the Pratt is the best of the lot.
The Wright?
It's fine as long as you're willing to accept incredible complexity coupled with unreliability.
The Packard built RR?
Short lived, although better than the RR built units and liquid cooling makes about as much sense in an aircraft engine as air cooling would for a submarine diesel, although any V-12 gets cool points.
As for the Pratt, I'd suggest that the poster check out pprune, avaiation history and nostalgia forum and search for a thread on this engine. It's amazing just how much effort was involved in operating a pair of these engines, and these were among the more reliable and user friendly of the big radials.
No wonder Len Morgan once wrote that a Convair twin airliner would keep its crew "busy", what with only two in the cockpit; no flight engineer.
Now, a really good aero engine would be a GE-90.
The strongest variants of these can make 115K+ tons static thrust at sea level, and can be operated for thousands of hours with only routine maintenance.
Now that's an engine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Win

edit: we're talking IC car engines right? Because the Packard Merlin or a Wright R3350 would be on the list otherwise.

If we're talking any engine, the Pratt & Whitney R2800 is the best engine EVAR.

Of the aero engines mentioned in the two posts quoted above, the Pratt is the best of the lot.
The Wright?
It's fine as long as you're willing to accept incredible complexity coupled with unreliability.
The Packard built RR?
Short lived, although better than the RR built units and liquid cooling makes about as much sense in an aircraft engine as air cooling would for a submarine diesel, although any V-12 gets cool points.
As for the Pratt, I'd suggest that the poster check out pprune, avaiation history and nostalgia forum and search for a thread on this engine. It's amazing just how much effort was involved in operating a pair of these engines, and these were among the more reliable and user friendly of the big radials.
No wonder Len Morgan once wrote that a Convair twin airliner would keep its crew "busy", what with only two in the cockpit; no flight engineer.
Now, a really good aero engine would be a GE-90.
The strongest variants of these can make 115K+ tons static thrust at sea level, and can be operated for thousands of hours with only routine maintenance.
Now that's an engine.

The original reason for developing the Jet/Turbine engine was reduced maintenance. The GE90 is amazing!

Can't help it, I'm stuck in the past.

Chrysler B/RB/Hemi The basis for the top fuel engines of today.

Cummins 5.9 12 valve. Mine has just under 200k and runs like a Swiss watch. Very economical and total maintenance has only been one valve adjustment.

5.2 Magnum (& 3.9 variant) Respectable power and fuel economy. will run forever with reasonable maintenance.

Slant six Ditto above.

Jeep 4.0 Double ditto! :)

Honorable mention include Ford modular 4.6, Ford 4.9 six, Mercedes Diesel, Volvo B series, IH 304, 345, 392. An engines job is to get you where you want to go reliably. I feel the above fill the bill admirably.

Engine that I've had the most fun with, Holden's 186c.i. 6 cylinder. 179 would be up there too (173 and 202 ci versions weren't as good IMO).

Currently loving my L67, and hope for a few more to be in my future.

Toyota 2H has to be right up there in seriously great engines.

Toyota 22R

(last 2 have been the mainstays of Oz exploration and mining)

I'll hold the last one in abayance ATM

Flathead Ford V-8
Chrysler 440
Nissan VQ35
Pretty much any GM V-8 of the 60's--that's mostly all my parents had when I was a kid.

Oops-- that's more than five.
laugh.gif

My understanding is that what you cite was at least a good part of the case.
Also, I made a 2000X error.
The GE-90 115B make 115K pounds of thrust.
I wrote "tons".
The RR Trent is equally amazing, maybe even more so, since IIRC, a Trent hold the time on wing record for any engine.

Lister cold start
(Simplicity and durability taken to excess)

Toyota 22R
(a workhorse for the world, a lesson for the Auto industry)

Rolls Royce Crecy
(if developed, worthy of a pair of Plastic testicles)

Triumph SC
(unexceptional, except for what good engineers can squeeze from an engine block if they have NO development money)

Napier Deltic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBTF5Ps4Scs
(Proof British engineers in the 40's smoked Crack)

Last edited:
My top five are not like the other ones:

1) 5.0L 307cid Oldsmobile V8 (and to a lesser extent, the 260cid 110hp version) - Only 140hp engine I can think of that can tow 5000lbs when installed in a 4000lb station wagon. Gutless but absolutely perfect for what they were.

2) 2.5L 151cid Pontiac "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder - Noisy, underpowered, but powered so many different vehicles from 1977 to 1993, including subcompact Monzas all the way up to Astro minivans, with Jeeps, AMC Eagles, and postal LLV vans in between.

3) 3.8L 231cid Buick V6 - This engine has gone through so many iterations and can be anything from an economy 80s LeSabre's base engine to a smooth grandma's Regal mid-size engine to a front drive mileage king in big LeSabres to a turbocharged monster in the Grand National to a supercharged screamer in the Regal and Park Avenue Ultra. I only wish my Silhouette had a Series II 3800 up front.

4) 3.7L 225cid Chrysler Slant Six - Actually this and the Buick six are in many others' lists, just maybe for different reasons, I have the Slant Six here because I've seen them run, SMOOTHLY, with grapefruit sized holes in the block.

5) 3.0L 183cid Ford Vulcan V6 - This powered countless Tauruses, Tempos, Rangers, Aerostars, Windstars, 1st gen Explorers, and Explorer Sports/Navajos. It may not get the best mileage, and it certainly doesn't have the most torque, but it gets the job done. Amazingly peppy with a 5-speed in an empty short wheelbase Aerostar, by the way, which is how I was introduced to this engine.

That's my list.

If I could get a RWD Vulcan to AOD adapter I want to someday put one of those Ranger/Aerostar Vulcan V6's in my Gran Torino. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably use a 3.8L Essex and 4R70W from a 99+ Mustang.

If I could have a 6th, it would be the 200cid straight six that lasted from the first Falcons and Mustangs to the last Fairmonts. 7th would be the Datsun-Nissan A-Series 4-cylinders (A12-A14-A15) from the B210, 210, and 1st gen Sentra. And finally, since I can't talk about engines without saying something about it, my 8th choice is the 1.0L Geo Metro 3-cylinder made by Suzuki. I so want to drop one of those in an '84-'87 Cavalier wagon with wide wide wide 4-speed gearing and see if I can do 49 city and 54 highway mpg, and I'll even let myself try it without AC or power steering just to be fair to the Metro XFi's heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back