Your top five favorite engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed the Ford 300 six on my list. Had a 77 F150 that had nearly 300,000 on it when I just quit driving it. Smoked a little but still pulled hard. All the Detroit straight sixes, Ford 240-300, GM 230-250-292, Chrysler slant six and even the AMC 258 would live nearly forever if you gave them even a little bit of maintenance. The old 3 sped autos C-4/ C-6, Turbo Hydro's and Torque Flites seemed to last forever. The newer vehicles are marvelous but I doubt I could rebuild my Focus engine in a driveway over a weekend. My skills ended with point ignition and carburetors.

i see your point. i got to see the ford SOHC engine in a aa/fd, in the late 60s, in person. it didnt do as well as i thought it should. then many years later the ford guys that liked them found out what it takes to make them run realy good. oh i bet i forgot to say iam bias.

Originally Posted By: morris
i see your point. i got to see the ford SOHC engine in a aa/fd, in the late 60s, in person. it didnt do as well as i thought it should. then many years later the ford guys that liked them found out what it takes to make them run realy good. oh i bet i forgot to say iam bias.

I know you are
wink.gif
But hey, so am I, LOL!
grin.gif

Lots of really neat engines from that era.

All the straight sixes ever made with the Chrysler slant six getting the highest honors in my book. I have owned two and I couldn't break one.

The SBC of course and one of the unheard of best engines ever made, the 472/500 Cadillac which are utterly reliable and until emissions killed them an engine that could lug 5000 lbs around at a surpisingly brisk pace.

4 of them built by CadCo in Albequerque,NM were used recently to beat the world land speed record on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The 472 I have driven for 15 years is as reliable as any slant six or SBC I have owned in the past. It's like owning a diesel you feed with gas.

in this order
1) NSX 3.2l motor

2) lancer evo 9 motor

3) honda k20/24 high compression vtec engine

4) honda 2.0l s2000 9k rpm redline motor

5) honda 1.8l b-series non vtec and vtec motor

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trvlr500

The 472 I have driven for 15 years is as reliable as any slant six or SBC I have owned in the past. It's like owning a diesel you feed with gas.

"Like a diesel you feed with gas" could be its own engine category. My nominations for that one are, in no particular order except for the first two:

1) GMC truck/industrial 305 CID v6
2) International Harvester 345
3) Ford 300
4) Jeep 4.0
5) Cad 472
6) Olds 455
7) Chrysler heavy truck/industrial 413 (aka "413-3")
8) Ford heavy truck/industrial 370 and 429
9) Chrysler 440 low-compression luxury car & pickup truck version
10) Slant-6
11) Chevy 292
12) Ford 460 luxury car and pickup truck versions

And yes, even I have to admit it:

13) Toyota 20R and 22R

Chrysler B engines(361/383/400)
Ford M engines(351/400)
Buick nailheads
Ford I6(170/200/250)
Chrysler I6(225-slant)

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
All the straight sixes ever made with the Chrysler slant six getting the highest honors in my book. I have owned two and I couldn't break one.

I did. My very first car was a '64 Plymouth Vomit with a slant 6. The engine used oil and I didn't check it often enough. One day running along at about 60 mph, the engine seized up tighter than drum....

Ones I've had experience/exposure with:

Chev. small-block V-8 - grew up with my dad's 1978 Malibu with a 305. Still like the pull of a Chev V-8.

Any Honda 4-cylinder engine - you can rev, lug, or abuse the HECK out of any of these engines, and they just keep going forever.

Chev. 2.8 V-6 - I love the metallic growl these engines all seem to have.

Chevrolet 2.2 OHV 4-cylinder - tough and simple. Just keeps going.

Ford Duratec 3.0 V-6 - smooth, powerful, decent fuel mileage. Doesn't run hot, or have sludge issues. Very uncomplaining DOHC V-6.

jeep 4.0
jeep 4.0
jeep 5.2
subaru EA82
ford 300
simply based on lasting FOREVER !

Last edited:
1.) Toyota 1.6 ltr. ( Corolla , Nova )
2.) MAZDA 1.3 ltr. ( Ford Festiva )
3.) Mitsubishi 1.4 ltr. and 1.6 ltr. ( Champ , Colt )
4.) Slant 6 ( Dodge Dart )
5.) Mitsubishi 1.5 ltr. ( Colt , Summit , Mirage )

Last edited:
I just have to throw in that I can't develop quite the same love for the small-block Chevy that many people have.

It IS a great engine and had a long production run, I just think that once the displacement started growing it had some shortcomings that competing engines didn't. Including: Rods too short for the stroke giving a sub-optimal rod angle. Rod and main bearings a little on the small side for the power. And one it had in ALL displacements: lifters too small in diameter to allow fast-lift cam profiles that the competing smallblocks from Ford, Chrysler, and other GM divisions used (solved when roller lifters came along).

Yeah, but despite all those incredibly bad things it still sits in one of my cars, about 409 cubic inches that belts out well over 500 crank hp.

This mouse motor is 5 years old now and has over 30k miles on it. A little track work and a few strip passes.

Nothing a little inexpensive machine work won't correct!

Originally Posted By: 55
Originally Posted By: yaris0128

Saturn LK0 1.9L SOHC - MPG and you cant kill it.

Until the head cracked...

Have heard of that happening. No one I knew including myself with the SOHC ever had a problem with theirs. My old SL1 is still running well for my friend who bought it. Will be close to 200,000 miles soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back