Your opinions on differential service.

Agreed, nothing about them is simple.

As for the diff itself: I've had this service done to both my diesel SUVs and both times it was a simple drain and refill with the proper spec lube.

On the GLK250 it was performed at 62k miles, on the X3d it was at 75k miles. From what I saw, both old fluids (likely original OE) were pretty dark when compared to the new stuff being pumped back in.

Also in both cases it was less than a quart of fluid. Worth doing once every 60-80k miles for the peace of mind.

On your own vehicle...
Oh, when you first asked me what kind of fluid I thought you were talking about brand and we're going to say something like , "If you're not using Royal Purple or Amsoil you're using 💩". 😄
Some people are like that you know. But yes. I'm aware of the proper spec for the vehicle. I use the Haynes manual and just for S & G's I check online.

Neither one of us is spring chickens (she being 7 years less springy than me) and ever since our divorce, after loooong 3 years of marriage (to which we would both say it seemed like 3 decades) we've been "frenemies" for 28 years now. Just one of those weird, probably co-dependent, relationships where we're there for each other in a pinch.
So I just want to make sure I get it right, both to avoid blowback and because money is tight for her and I don't need to for her to fall into any problems 'cuz I did something wrong.

And none of this would be a question in my mind if the car had less than 100,000 on it, or maybe even less than 125 or something there abouts.
But being that nearly 200,000, coupled with my own ignorance in such matters, I was just a little concerned.
So I really appreciate the feedback from you and the other guys

First - good on you for keeping it amicable and looking out for her.

I'd say that since you obviously care, then you're either looking at pulling the cover and doing it once or vac'ing the oil out and refilling a few times over the next few months/oil changes. Or at least that'd be what it would take to give me the warm fuzzies in that situation.

Your choice - either will do and anything is better than nothing.

So, as stated in my other threads, I have this 99 Honda Passport, or rather my Ex has it, with 195 on it so I plan on servicing the differential. What I'm wondering is if I should just do a drain and refill (apparently there's no drain plug. You have to suck it out with a tube through the fill hole) or should I go to the much bigger bother, and for me expanse, of dropping the cover and doing it that way.

Now, under the heading of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I'm of two minds on this....

First is the most simple and expedient way to do it is through the fill hole, especially since it doesn't look like there's any leakage from the housing.

On the other side of the coin, in a number of the YouTube videos I have just watched regarding differential servicing, when guys did the cover removal version, obviously fluid would drain out, but inside the cover and on the gears themselves was left a BUNCH of gunk.
In some cases they wiped out millimeters thick gunk from inside the cover, with all kinds of crap stuck to the magnets, and then sprayed down the gears with whatever solvent to get the rest of it out before putting it back together and refilling.

So I'm wondering if I just suck out the old fluid and put in the new will that loosen any gunk to the point that it would somehow break free and intermixed with the new oil and somehow get in there and mess up the gears.
I don't fully understand the dynamics there so that's the best way I can express it. But I think y'all get my point.

Or is that not really likely to happen with a simple drain (suck out) and refill despite the differential's age?

I would like to avoid removing the cover, if that's practical, because in order to do that I'm going to have to take it to somebody and I would like to not spend the money, but only if the other way is reasonable.
"IF" you decide to remove the cover, remove the fill plug first! You don't want to get stuck with the cover removed, oil drained out, and CAN'T get the fill plug out!

So, as stated in my other threads, I have this 99 Honda Passport, or rather my Ex has it, with 195 on it so I plan on servicing the differential. What I'm wondering is if I should just do a drain and refill (apparently there's no drain plug. You have to suck it out with a tube through the fill hole) or should I go to the much bigger bother, and for me expanse, of dropping the cover and doing it that way.

Now, under the heading of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I'm of two minds on this....

First is the most simple and expedient way to do it is through the fill hole, especially since it doesn't look like there's any leakage from the housing.

On the other side of the coin, in a number of the YouTube videos I have just watched regarding differential servicing, when guys did the cover removal version, obviously fluid would drain out, but inside the cover and on the gears themselves was left a BUNCH of gunk.
In some cases they wiped out millimeters thick gunk from inside the cover, with all kinds of crap stuck to the magnets, and then sprayed down the gears with whatever solvent to get the rest of it out before putting it back together and refilling.

So I'm wondering if I just suck out the old fluid and put in the new will that loosen any gunk to the point that it would somehow break free and intermixed with the new oil and somehow get in there and mess up the gears.
I don't fully understand the dynamics there so that's the best way I can express it. But I think y'all get my point.

Or is that not really likely to happen with a simple drain (suck out) and refill despite the differential's age?

I would like to avoid removing the cover, if that's practical, because in order to do that I'm going to have to take it to somebody and I would like to not spend the money, but only if the other way is reasonable.
I always prefer to remove the cover so I can do a visual inspection. But it doesn't cost me much additional time, and no additional money. It's better to remove the cover so you can inspect the inside, but I doubt you'd find any issues so it's probably fine if you don't. It really comes down to what would make you sleep better at night.

I have always removed the cover to clean and make sure I get as much fluid as possible out and to clean the magnet if there is one and just to look over everything. A suck out and refill will probably be quicker because you don't have to clean off either the gasket or silicone off of the cover and reinstall/reapply. If I was doing this for my ex, I would probably not be taking off the rear cover.

Some people never change the rear diff fluid and don't have problems so unless that rear diff has a reputation for failing or she is pulling something all of the time, I might not change it at all. My ex and I have a pretty good relationship after being divorced for almost 18 years but I have no desire to work on her cars and her current husband probably wouldn't like it either.

I always prefer to remove the cover so I can do a visual inspection. But it doesn't cost me much additional time, and no additional money. It's better to remove the cover so you can inspect the inside, but I doubt you'd find any issues so it's probably fine if you don't. It really comes down to what would make you sleep better at night.
Well, if it was MY car, the cover would definitely be removed. But, for a variety of reasons, me doing it myself is not practical. So I would just pay my mechanic friend to do it. But since the car belongs to my Ex... 😁

Back