Your opinion on these tires {PICS}

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're at the point (about 4/32") where I typically want to replace the tires. Especially in Florida, where you are subject to intense downpours and lots of standing water, I would want to keep fresh tires on it with good tread depth. As another poster said, the cost of more frequent tire replacement isn't that significant when spread out over time.

The suggestion of waiting until a Black Friday sale is a good one. You're in the perfect position -- you apparently have the money to do it, and you still have some time left before they really become unsafe -- just sit on them for a bit and wait for a good sale to come up.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No way I'd replace those yet with your climate

I don't understand this and the rest of the comments saying you live in Florida, it doesn't snow. It does rain quite a bit. We adapt to worn tires over time, and don't realize how bad they are. Till you get new tires, drive in a rain storm and realize wow, I should have replaced those a long time ago.

After I had the first car I bought for myself for a few years, I was driving in heavy rain and just could not get above 45mph without my car drifting all over the place...I was mystified, and people were zipping by me at 70, honking at me, and giving me the bird because I was in the way and having a hard time staying in my lane. Finally made it home and was looking all around my car to see what was wrong...eventually realized my tires were 100% FREAKIN BALD!! I had no memory of my parents ever buying tires, guess I though people only bought them if they got flats that couldn't be repaired. Ran off to Sears and bought Roadhandlers, which is a story in itself...
Now, I was just a stupid kid learning how to grow up and be a stupid adult, but my point is that this stuff sneaks up on you. I didn't notice anything was wrong until my tires were so dangerous that I could barely drive on the highway in a good storm. The last quick check I saw for tread depth is to use a quarter and judge it by George's head instead of Abe's, and I think the tires in the pic above would probably fail that.
Besides, it is really fun to buy new tires if you're not hurting for bucks! You have enough tread to give you time to make a good decision and find an excellent deal. Don't wait until you have an emergency situation and have to buy something in a hurry, like I did ages ago...

I was prepared to ride out my summer tires through one more season and then look for deals in spring 2017. I was down to 3/32 fronts and 4/32 rears on my Toyo Proxes T1R. We had a stretch of 2 solid months were I had done a ton of mileage on these tires, still crazy grippy, and we got barely any rain here in Toronto. Then all of a sudden we got ONE heavy rain at very the end of July and I found myself hydroplaning all over the place going even 20% under the speed limit on the highway. I had a huge oh [censored] moment that day when I almost went into a guardrail driving home from work and had trouble making traction taking off from a traffic light on slower surface roads.

I thought how dumb would I feel if I was to total my car for the price of a new set of tires I had to buy eventually anyway. How dumb would I feel if I was to hurt a passenger just because I wanted to put off spending $5-600 that I could already afford. I went ahead and bought the new tires two days later.

While everyone has been focusing on the tread depth, I did notice something in the photos that is disturbing. Cracks on the face of the tread. That usually indicates the tire is so cooked that the internal rubber is badly deteriorated. Given that this is Florida - in the top 5 worst states for tire failures (because of the heat!) - I recommend replacing those tires ASAP! There is a risk of failure and if that happens at high speed, it could be very bad!

Last edited:

These are the front two, the back two are okay but cheap brands. For the record these came with the car when I bought it used. Just don't have money to replace them.

Those look like the Walmart Goodyear's that never last as long as they are suppose to. (I know you didn't buy them yourself). I would plan to change those out before winter.

With winter just around the corner I'd probably be replacing them in early November. If the weather is mild I might stretch it out to late November.

I replace tires before they wear to when they need replacing - that's just me.
Recently replaced tires on one of the vehicles (actually two vehicles), and the DT tire tech says I could have kept going into next year. I told him I don't care, just put the new tires on. That way they won't be down should the winter/spring rain (if California gets it) set in and I won't have to think about tread depth, increase noise.
The other vehicle my son drives and he had a flat and drove a bit to get to a spot off the road. It was a Michelin and DT no longer had the same tire. Although they had over 50% tread I had DT put new tires on just so they all would match. They charged for 3 tires (1-free). But since we may not have the car much longer (haven't decided yet), I went with DT house tires (Arizonian Silver III) which so far has turned out to be decent.
If I was on a budget things may be different. With holidays around the corner, sales may be something to watch for.

One of the DOT dates is "0224" LOL!

Maybe that's not it I'll take another look later

You're right -- that's not it. Prior to 2000, they used a 3-digit code: WWY, where WW is the numerical week and Y is the last number of the year. Obviously, this adds ambiguity; 038 could mean the 3rd week of 1998 or the 3rd week of 1988.

Since 2000, it's a 4-digit code: WWYY, where YY is the last TWO numbers of the year. 0224 will be the 2nd week of 2024.

take a picture of this
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You're right -- that's not it. Prior to 2000, they used a 3-digit code: WWY, where WW is the numerical week and Y is the last number of the year. Obviously, this adds ambiguity; 038 could mean the 3rd week of 1998 or the 3rd week of 1988.

Since 2000, it's a 4-digit code: WWYY, where YY is the last TWO numbers of the year. 0224 will be the 2nd week of 2024.

They're both newer than I would have thought one is 2010 the other is 1710, so I'm surprised they're that cracked already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back