Your opinion of how this VW GLI looks

I hated the black wheels on my blue WRX and briefly considered gold, then decided on classic silver Enkei wheels. Can't go wrong with silver!

As one of the resident VW fanboys I'd buy it. I don't love black wheels, but I don't hate it here. I definitely wouldn't do bronze or gold on blue. It looks too much like it's trying to be a Subaru for my tastes. I'm more of a gunmetal or dark grey fan on blue. I plan to do bronze on my car being red, but if I was blue I'd likely go grey.

For me I'm going to go with Konig Ampliforms most likely.
Konig-ampliform-bronze.jpg

If I decide to keep OEM/OEM+ it will be the VW Rotary. It looks like it leans more grey than silver. The Pretoria OEM wheel is just way too popular and common. I'd prefer something a hint different and I think these are the wheels that would accomplish that. They'd look awesome on a blue GLI.
767283-x800.jpg

In the old days, black wheels were used the make cheap steelies non-descript, or hidden under hub caps, and matte finishes were reserved for those who primed, but couldn't afford to finish the job and paint their cars.

Now, the young folks apparently like those kinds of things…

If you are driving it just get some new wheels with actually good tires on it. If your wife is just leave it as is. The factory wheels are tucked in too much and the tires are awful. You can get the correct offset with new wheels and the color you want.

My wife and I share our 19 GLI great car.

Update, we ended up buying a new 40th anniversary edition in gray. VW is only making 1984 of the 40th anniversary models and VW only offers it in blue, white or grey. Ours is a stick—the last year for a manual GLI and GTI. Only the 40th has the adjustable suspension this model year. It rides Fantastic in comfort mode on the freeway and sport mode firms it up when wanted. The car isint loud at speed and has very comfortable cloth heated seats

I like both colors of the wheels . I like the looks of the car also. I have a Corolla and they don`t look a hole lot different .

How awesome on new purchase!

My first car I bought was the 1988 Jetta GLI 16V and such a hoot to drive. A significant improvement over my previous AMC Eagle my parents gave me :)

I always wanted another.

Update, we ended up buying a new 40th anniversary edition in gray. VW is only making 1984 of the 40th anniversary models and VW only offers it in blue, white or grey. Ours is a stick—the last year for a manual GLI and GTI. Only the 40th has the adjustable suspension this model year. It rides Fantastic in comfort mode on the freeway and sport mode firms it up when wanted. The car isint loud at speed and has very comfortable cloth heated seats
Where are the pics? The factory never even made a specific car if there aren't pics. :)

Nice choice, you'll enjoy the car. DCC is very well executed on the MQBs and I would always chose that option when available.

The gray with black wheels is a bit more palatable. Not a big fan of all black wheels overall, but look ok on the right vehicle. You can't really tell the ones on our Tiguan are 20" because the black doesn't make for any definition. I've purchased some red colored Rim Ringz to add some pop and cover some minor damage when my wife uses the wheels to find where the curbs are :rolleyes:. Better those than the chrome spiral wound curb feelers I bought her for Christmas.

Nice that you went for it.. I still wish I had bought a last year (2013?2014?) WRX hatchback with MT.. wasnt the right time (just bought a house)

Gold/bronze only if “mid” is in your lexicon.

Black if “tight” used to be something you uttered frequently.

Two tone, matte silver, or factory if you’re now old and not wanting to look like a tool.

Congrats, gray is the best color (mine is also pure gray) - great choice! Gray is a better match with black or gold wheels.

Mine (with DCC) currently sits on Eibach Golf R springs, it offers almost similar ride quality but a 1" lower stance, that's how it should be available from the factory. The rear is slightly stiffer which helps with cornering.

Either way, GLI has the best ride quality and lowest NVH compared to the other entries like the Elantra N etc..

Last edited:
Back