Your favorite lubricant & fluids brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to be XOM but lately, Phillips 66
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
I agree on the QSUD, that oil has some serious pour point and flash point specs! -50c pour, 234c flash. Just looked it up .

QSUD seems to surpass or at least equal PP and PUP in those two specs. Makes you wonder why it's 3rd on the SOPUS totem pole. Cleaning ability perhaps? Anyway as for favorite fluids, Amsoil SS, Amsoil SS atf, Toyota oem coolant. Second choice would be Castrol engine oil and atf.

I use anything that is cheaply available at that time and that has an additive-package which I deem to be appropriate for my engine backed by existing oil analysis.

In the past years, I've been running oils made by Valvoline, Gulf, Castrol, Meguin, Mannol, Q8-Oils, Ravenol and others...
Some were mineral-based ois, some hydrocracked, some pao-based and some even pao-ester-based. Viscosities ranged from 5w-40 to 15w-50.

The engine happily takes everything, one of the perks of owning an older vehicle...
laugh.gif

Currently, it is 31 yrs old, with just about ~115k miles at the moment and runs very well. It consumes about a quart every 5-7k mls and the valve-train is very clean.

https://m.imgur.com/a/NlByhNW

For the next summers, the car will be using Penrite Racing 15 15W-50. I have a bulk of it sitting in my basement which I recently acquired for 3€ / liter in a closing sale.

Last edited:
I have Mobil 1 in just about everything. The Truck, Trans Am, and Caprice are all M1 right now. The Malibu has Pennzoil. It was a good deal last oil change. Seems just fine.

Everything is running Dex-cool.

Never had a single issue with Super Tech brands from Wally World. Put two vehicles over 300K, one over 220K and my current pickup has 195K on it. None of them ever burned or significantly leaked any oil.

Originally Posted by Rand
right now its Pennzoil because they make the only easily available oil that meets the specs for my jeep.

ms-13340.

I had no issue stocking up on rotella gas truck today for 6$/5qt after rebate.
just wont be using it in the jeep.

Are you using Pennz Plat 5w-30 for the Jeep?

Pennzoil and Quaker State up here in Canada because I can get $10 and $7 CDN rebates, respectively and Canadian Tire and Walmart have great sales and "Rollbacks."

From Pennzoil I can buy PP 5w30, PP Ultra 5w30, 5w40 Euro and 5w30 Euro LX.
From QS I can buy 5w30 and 5w40 Euro. All are synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
I still stand behind XOM and the Mobil 1 brand - consistent, top notch components, no gimmicky marketing, a lot of "proof of performance" testing and always ahead of the curve.

Exact same thing for me.

It was Pennzoil. But lately I have been getting such great deals on Valvoline there isn't a reason to use anything else. If I can't get a great deal there is always Kendall GT-1 Max synthetic and STHM to be had.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
I still stand behind XOM and the Mobil 1 brand - consistent, top notch components, no gimmicky marketing, a lot of "proof of performance" testing and always ahead of the curve.

Exact same thing for me.

That is funny about the ads I seem to recall miniature NASCAR drivers endorsing Mobil 1 on TV.

Motor oil: No real preference. But I do tend to use mostly Mobil 1, Pennzoil, and occasionally Castrol. Just a few I won't use, like Quaker State.
ATF: For Dexron, I like Valvoline Max. Lower cold pour point than most others. It works quite well as a power steering fluid.
CVT fluid: OEM. It is not worth the few dollars savings to take the risk with a "one size fits all" CVT fluid.
Gear oil: I like Mobil 1. It has served me very well.
Brake fluid: ATE 200. Much better dry boiling point and wet boiling point than most others.
Coolant/antifreeze: Zerex or OEM. I can buy Mercedes coolant from the dealership for less than the Zerex European coolant. Why would I do otherwise?

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

Exact same thing for me.

That is funny about the ads I seem to recall miniature NASCAR drivers endorsing Mobil 1 on TV.

Great day in the morning dave1251... That is funny yet true
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
For me it's Valvoline.

- Have had excellent results with Synpower.
- Hear great things about Maxlife oils and will be using them next.
- Zerex anti freeze is my go to.
- Have had great results with their ATF.
- Their DOT 3&4 is great value and works very well (I think it's a licensed product though).
- They seem to have the widest coverage esp in antifreeze and ATF.
- They've always answered my questions fully and quickly.

Next I would say Mobil. Their 0w40 has impressed me compared to Castrol and Pennzoil's offerings. I also like their range and variety of oil choices eg EP and HM variants. And the fact they make the specs easy to view on the website and they are very clear about approvals vs suitable for.

I agree with you about Valvoline. . .

And you are right about Mobil 1 and how well they present their information in a very good way.

Right now for me it is

#1 Valvoline... I am currently running the Napa Valvoline made oil in my car. Which it runs very quiet on.

#2 Chevron/Havoline... Still really like their oils and prices.

#3 Warren Distribution tied with Warren Oil. .
The Warren Distribution oil runs great in my car and the lady's Camry... And the Warren Oil Lubrigold and Coastal synthetic blend oil in the Camry runs very quiet too.

I've happy used - Mobil, Shell, Penrite and Valvoline.

But I keep coming back to Castrol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back